Page 21 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Been listening to some good stuff lately, theres this lovely song by Miike Snow:

The album its in is pretty good I have to say as well but that song is the high point.
    Mmmmm.... Bizarre but it turns into something more relaxing and lovely as it goes on. Nice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    As I mentioned in the book thread I've been reading "This Is Your Brain On Music" by Danile Levitin (record producer turned neuroscientist) about how the human brain percieves music. I'm sure it's going to be interesting but I'm finding it slow going thanks to it using examples to demonstrate what it's talking about. Thinking "oh yeah, Steely Dan's Do it Again, that's a good 'un" is distracting enough but it's the bits where genres I'm less au fait with that end up to me just listening to music instead of reading. Most of the classical examples are well known and I do recognise (though I've found them worth listening to again as I don't tend to listen to classical music often) but it's stuff like jazz (which I'm very unfamiliar with) that I'm finding most distracting so far. I mean this is just lovely and I just had to listen to more of his stuff:

While the science in the book hasn't properly kicked in yet, the guy has a nice writing style and I'm sure he'll explain it well without getting bogged down in technicalities so I reckon it's a good read for anyone interested in both music and science.
    Last edited by Lambchops; 13-04-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Typos and that

IT'S AN OMEN

I love The Prodigy. Just pure, unfiltered love.

This seems as good a place as any, does anyone remember the song that was linked in the sunday papers a year or two back that was a kind of...french synthy new wave thing? I really want to find it, but my google-fu is failing me :(

EDIT: Ah, balls, nevermind, found it after going through many many Sunday Papers. If anyone's slightly interested, this is it:

Last edited by CWalker; 17-04-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Network Hub
    Compilations can be really hit and miss, especially when they are made up of obscure tracks. Mainly because those tracks are obscure for a good reason. So, this new one that I just got yesterday is a great surprise, not a bad track on it. It's called Personal Space: Electronic Soul 1974-1984 and I kind of want to post every track, but these are the ones that grabbed my attention just on the first listen.

The idea behind it is to shine a light on some of the more soulful homemade electronic music that was made by or took it's influence from black American artists. It's a good reminder that when home studio kit became affordable not everyone rushed to make music purely influenced by Kraftwerk.

Some demos from a favorite guitarist of mine

Curious question, how do you guys find all these tracks?

Network Hub
    http://store.floex.cz/album/zorya

That's actually his bandcamp page which doubles as his online store. It's by Floex, the guy who made the music for Machinarium. Brilliant stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Curious question, how do you guys find all these tracks?
    Multiple places really. It used to be radio for me years ago but now not so much. It's a mix of:

Recommendations from friends - Things just crop up in conversation or occasionally if I'm looking to get into a genre I'm unfamiliar with I'll ask specific people who I know like that sort of thing, I've recently done this with metal and I've got a few interesting bands to listen to I've never heard of).
    Review aggregators (mostly for new releases): Any Decent Music? is probably my favoured one: http://anydecentmusic.com/
    Review websites/blogs - I've got a few in my RSS reader I follow that tend to recommend stuff that's up my street. The other great thing about reviews is they often mention similar bands you might not have heard of, which can be a good bonus.
    Recommendations from record store - The folks in my local one are rather friendly and have great taste so the staff picks are usually worth a listen or sometimes they'll go "oh you've bought band x, have you listened to any of band y?."
    Recommendation services - Last.fm being pretty much the only one I'm using at the moment. Keeps track of what you are listening to and recommends other artists based on that. Don't use it as much as I used to but it definitey threw up a few good bands.
    Compliation albums - Diamond Dog summed them up nicely above. They can have a lot of junk on them but they are great, especially when exploring an area of music you have no knowledge of, they give a great idea of where else to explore.
    Random record shop browsing. Sometimes judging an album by its cover actually works. Not something I do often as it risks throwing away money but the last time I tried it I ended up with The Demon Barbers and the Adventures of Captain Ward which is an absolute gem of a modern English folk record that I've played the hell out of.
    Threads like this!

All these things result in my mental "to buy" list always being bigger than my wallet/available time!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Any recommendations for blogs? Or recommendations on where to find recommendations for blogs? I pretty much stick to gaming sites and finding new, quality blogs is somewhat of a serendipitous occasion for me.

An old favorite:

I only just realized that sample under the track is a train, and not a skateboard.
    Last edited by sabrage; 19-04-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    You know it's solid and good and all. But I'm missing the omph from their older perfomances.

Network Hub
    There are quite a few online magazines that I think are always worth having a look at, even if you don't agree with what they think is good/bad. Dummy Mag, The Quietus (although that place is so fucking hipster it makes pitchfork look like a dad listening to the Quo), xlr8r.

Used to go to pitchfork a lot, but as my taste changed I usually check FACT for news on what's being released. Boomkat is probably where I do most browsing because they have a great variety and you can quickly sample it for yourself. They do have a bad habit of saying just about everything is 'Highly Recommended!!!' but they're a store so they have to sell it to you.

With how easy it is to listen to free tracks or samples I've pretty much stopped reading reviews. Seems a bit pointless when I can just judge things for myself.

Twitter has been great too. I have a music list with a mix of artists, industry people, blogs and online stores that usually flag up something I'm interested in. As for blogs I usually stick to 20jazzfunkgreats, but I used to check gorilla vs bear and sterogum a bit. Altered Zones was great but they stopped posting recently. If you can be arsed to scour their archives it might throw up some stuff you like.

For the kind of music I'm into, mixes and podcasts are fantastic. Rinse FM and Sub FM are my favourites. Although trying to get a tracklist can be a fucking nightmare.

Oh how I wish York had a decent record store. We have a great place for second hand stuff, but nothing like a proper music store. Would love to have a place to go and just listen and chat about music. Also, Record Store Day is in fact the most depressing day of the year for me. Look at all the great releases I can't get anywhere near!

Network Hub
    Aww, just heard another good one has passed away. Levon Helm, of The Band. Anyone else feel like our generation is going to spend half our time paying tribute to the greats?

Anyway, The Band and the Staple Singers playing together on one of my favourite songs.

If you haven't seen the film The Last Waltz, I couldn't recommend it more. It's a sort of documentary that incorporates The Band's last proper performance in 1978(Edit: The performance was 76', the film released in 78'. Oops!) as well as interviews and other bits. Has a pretty amazing line-up of special guests. Directed by Scorsese, too.
    Last edited by DiamondDog; 19-04-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Lets keep the Levon Helm train a-rollin'. This live recording will knock your fucking teeth out:

Long live Levon Helm.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Man, what an underrated drummer.

Network Hub
    Bob knows.

Speaking of paying tribute to the greats, RIP Bert Weedon

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post

Oh how I wish York had a decent record store. We have a great place for second hand stuff, but nothing like a proper music store. Would love to have a place to go and just listen and chat about music. Also, Record Store Day is in fact the most depressing day of the year for me. Look at all the great releases I can't get anywhere near!
    As I discovered this year the releases go super fast though. I got to the store (the excellent Truck, if anyone is on Oxford it's definitely worth a wander) about an hour or so after it opened and there'd already been a massive dent in their stock. Alas for my wallet there was still stuff there I fancied getting, plus it was the first time I've actually properly had a look at the shop's usual stock of vinyl. Plus as this is the first time I've actually bought vinyl, I now find myself in the position of having to buy a record player (guess it also means I can steal a few of my Dad's records next time I'm home!).

As far as the record store day exclusive stuff went I got:

Mastodon/Feist (Feistodon!)
    Belle and Sebastian - Crash
    Human Don't Be Angry - Human Don't Be Angry (LP)
    King Creosote & John Hopkins - Third Swan

As for non record store day stuff I got an Okkervil River single and found a copy of 1977 by Ash which I decided to get as it was one of my favourite albums growing up.

So, guess I'm going to be pretty tempted by vinyl releases from now on!