Page 23 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar

Yee-haw.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    There are quite a few online magazines that I think are always worth having a look at, even if you don't agree with what they think is good/bad. Dummy Mag, The Quietus (although that place is so fucking hipster it makes pitchfork look like a dad listening to the Quo), xlr8r.

Used to go to pitchfork a lot, but as my taste changed I usually check FACT for news on what's being released. Boomkat is probably where I do most browsing because they have a great variety and you can quickly sample it for yourself. They do have a bad habit of saying just about everything is 'Highly Recommended!!!' but they're a store so they have to sell it to you.

With how easy it is to listen to free tracks or samples I've pretty much stopped reading reviews. Seems a bit pointless when I can just judge things for myself.

Twitter has been great too. I have a music list with a mix of artists, industry people, blogs and online stores that usually flag up something I'm interested in. As for blogs I usually stick to 20jazzfunkgreats, but I used to check gorilla vs bear and sterogum a bit. Altered Zones was great but they stopped posting recently. If you can be arsed to scour their archives it might throw up some stuff you like.

For the kind of music I'm into, mixes and podcasts are fantastic. Rinse FM and Sub FM are my favourites. Although trying to get a tracklist can be a fucking nightmare.
    DiamondDog, I don't know what to say. You are godlike. That should keep my fickle tongue busy for a few weeks at least.
    Last edited by sabrage; 28-04-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I don't listen to much rap but lately all I seem to listen to on Spotify is Pollie Pop's remixes.

The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

I went through a little bit of research regarding Industrial Metal and I found out about a band called Ministry. Haven't heard much (and enough) about them and their works but once I listened to The Land of Rape and Honey, well... time to find more songs. I'm hooked.

I found a video of them performing it during their '89 - '90 World Tour.

....I seen some shit

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Ministry is great, I especially like ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Ministry is great, I especially like ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ.
    Psalm 69 incoming

Obscure Node
    Richie Kotzen: Remember

Listening to this... For the guitar
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Also, anyone know Italian and get what this guy's saying?
    Art blog here.

I've just remembered what I used to listen before I wiped out the library in my iPod. Oh, yes.
    Art blog here.

Network Hub
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsbQBIMJ4dk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URPVxjyIkjY

After the day I've had, this is exactly what was needed. Radio 1 all day will drain the life out of you.

(one vid per post? what's that all about)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    After the day I've had, this is exactly what was needed. Radio 1 all day will drain the life out of you.
    Probably marginally preferable to the Radio 1/Heart combo! That said it does sometimes get broken up by Kisstory, which I find is mostly a guilty pleasure (90's garage is apparantly slightly better than I remember!), plus I get to piss people off with some meandering Spotify playlists! Oh and you can't go wrong with some Jeremy Vine at lunchtime they always manage to get some enjoyable eejits phoning in.

Turns out the favourite one of my record store day purchases wasn't actually any of the RSD exclusives but an on sale Okkervil River single. This is gorgeous.

Network Hub
    It's either Radio 1 or Radio 2 where I work. Radio 2 is preferable to my ears because there is always the chance of getting the classics. Although you do run the risk of Michael Buble levels of MOR. Although really with any radio it's the constant repetition of songs that wears me down. If it's on the top playlist you'll hear something about 5 times a day for weeks on end!

Anyway, please excuse me, this is just what I needed...

Between Okkervil and Nick, I think I'll be alright. /melodrama

I just realized that this music style is actually called "schlager" (well, actually this would be more of rock and schlager than pure schlager) in English. Live and learn.

I realise it's probably not the cool thing to do but oh I do so love Chumbawamba, and especially the early 90s-early 00s period of theirs, with all that deliciously cunning, anarchistic and pop-a-licious pop. Still need to fill some gaps in the discography but finally got the Shhh/Slap double-package re-release some time ago and Shhh especially is just such good stuff.

Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I've given the new Tenacious D album a listen to a few times. It's alright, I guess. Nothing that makes me go "Holy crap, THE DDDDDDDDDD". Compositionally, they're fine, but they seem to lack...something. I'm not entirely sure what.

Anyhow as of right now during another night of staying up and doing work, I've been managing to somehow put a smile on my face listening to this.

Drawn to listening to it, of course, because I'm writing about 2001. Regardless, Kubrick was excellent with his musical picks and this is no exception. As someone who enjoys classical music, but doesn't listen to it regularly, it's just quite pleasant to have some on every so often...and pretend to conduct the orchestra at times. It's the little things.

EDIT: Regarding the radio stations, I usually have mine set to Radio 2; there's a decent combo of new music with some good old stuff thrown in for good measure. I do like listening to the rock segments on 1, but I can never remember when they're on and I don't feel like it's worth the risk of listening to anything else on there. Urgh. Radio 1. Hurr.

That being said, it's quite nice every so often to just turn on 6 Music and see what they're up to. Lauren Laverne's late-morning slot is good and I actually really like Craig Charles' slot too, which doubles up nicely when he replaces Janice Long on the midnight-and-after slot on Radio 2.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 04-05-2012 at 06:46 AM.