Page 49 of 76 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Been listening to Nouvelle Vague lately. Great covers from great songs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by furius View Post
    I learned about Daniel Johnston from this thread. If you like him you should check out Lone Pigeon. The similarities are incredible both favour super low-fi recording, and both can write an unbelievable catchy tune. Unfortunately LP's also suffered from some serious mental health issues, but it did help shape some beautiful, weird songs (feels a bit wrong to be thankful for his problems - you know what I mean). Thankfully he's ok now and joined up with most of the Beta Band (which he helped form) to form the Aliens.

Here he is at his heartbreaking best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6s5iKhOBOU

But he does a lot of upbeat stuff too.
    Yeah, Lone Pigeon definitely had some issues (he's not alone in that sense with ex Beta Band members. Singer Steve Mason once went missing for two weeks and was contemplating suicide). Good to see them both doing better and making great music. I mention this mostly because I'm reminded there's a new Steve Mason album coming this year as well. The first single is great:

E is still doing what he does best. Another artist that will be forever held up as having recent albums that either aren't as strong or prone to taking new directions as his earlier material. However for an artist to have released 10 albums without any absolute stinkers (admittedly I very rarely return to the recent "trilogy" of Hombre Lobo, End Times and Tomorrow Morning, which are solid but not spectacular) is good going. On first listen the new Eels album "Wonderful, Glorious" is a step back above this trilogy and marks a welcome return of the fuzzier more aggressive side of Souljacker, mixed in with the more reflective style of Blinking Lights. Would like to see them live again, saw them a few years back and thought the way that they reworked old material was superb.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

This song is unreal. Too bad I can't find a version without the quote.

Squarepusher - Stadium Ice, from the album Ufabulum. This track always reminds me of Mario Kart.

Tool: Lateralus \m/

Network Hub

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I just discovered "Frightened Rabbit." They are kind of like a Scottish version of "The National," if you're into that. My current favorite song of theirs is "The Twist." I have a thing about songs about dancing:

Plus, I'm a MASSIVE Kurt Weill fan, especially "Three Penny Opera" (like, I can sing entire songs in their original German, even though I don't speak alot of German---which is how much I love it).

But I just discovered Nina Simone's 1964 live version of "Pirate Jenny" which I think is probably the best ever recorded version of that song--not to mention one of the best live recordings of pretty much anything, I think. Which is a bit of hyperbole, sure, but it really is very good.

It's the most pitiless and vicious rendering of the song I've ever heard--kind of like punk rock 20 years before that was even a thing:

The sound of lossless formats vs MP3s as I make the decision about whether to re-rip my CD library.

At the moment I'm leaning towards yes but I'm not quite sure how to manage it yet. I've certainly got enough space on my laptop for re-ripping everything I have the CDs for it just then becomes a question of how to manage it. I do like having my entire collection on my iPod (which obviously wont be possible in lossless format - I'm going to have to start culling MP3s as it is) so need a rethink.

Might have separate folders with all my stuff in MP3 and everything I can in lossless, maybe stick over a few of my absolute favourite albums in lossless onto the iPod and live with the lower quality on the move (it has been find for years). Thing is, I'm not sure I'm convinced that iTunes is a piece of software that will cope with me mixing and matching like that (I have found it a pain in the arse enough as is). Ah, the organising of music libraries - definitely comes under first world problems doesn't it?!

I've been thinking about re-ripping too as I ripped most of my collection at 128kps mp3 just because my older mp3 player at the time couldn't hold much. But I just have WAAAAY too many CDs to re-rip them all and most are in boxes at my parent's house anyway.

Honestly, though, re-ripping would mostly be an OCD thing. Maybe it's just because I've listened to shitty headphones for too many years and it's ruined my ears or my ability to discern what sounds good, but I honestly can't tell the difference between 128kbps and a CD. Like, I've switched back and forth on the same song before just to see if I could, but I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    Maybe it's just because I've listened to shitty headphones for too many years and it's ruined my ears or my ability to discern what sounds good, but I honestly can't tell the difference between 128kbps and a CD. Like, I've switched back and forth on the same song before just to see if I could, but I can't.
    I think the thing I tend to notice most is that percussion tends to sound a bit crisper and occasionally I'll notice a few more subtleties in the backing vocals I might not have picked up on before. Though with the latter I'm still in two minds whether this is because I'm actually listening to the album rather than having it on while I'm doing something else.

I've just ordered some new headphones that are better quality than my current set so I'm probably going to wait until they arrive before making a decision.

So over the last few months No One Can Ever Know by the Twilight Sad has grown into one of my favourite albums of last year. It kind of passed me by through the majority of last year but I've found myself returning to it a lot more than many other albums. The more synth heavy direction really works for them and though others may disagree I think it's easily their best work. Wouldn't have expected them to become the band that Editors could have been if they hadn't gone all shit (again some may not see this as praise, but it is!):

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Not a big fan of Gary Numan but some of his songs I enjoy very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

to wound the autumnal city.

Searching for Spy Music had led me to The Bambi Molesters

Despite the band name, they're music are thankfully aren't as creepy. Still not spy music but eh, I still like it
    Art blog here.

Stuffed with pokemon doodles. And arse. Enter at your own risk.

Second video released for the forthcoming new Bowie album today. First reviews also starting to pop up this week from the press preview playbacks. If this is 'one of the weakest tracks' (The Quietus) then the album looks like it's going to be very good indeed.

(there's a film intro, the song kicks in at 1:58)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    This review sums up Endless Boogie perfectly:
    Endless Boogie is not high-concept, and as such, their music is easily deconstructed. There’s pop songwriting — then there’s these guys. There’s very little build-up to get to their songs. You’re there. But wait! Time travel is for suckers. You want to extend your time on Earth because it’s all you got. The triple-length jams that roll out of this forge give the illusion that everything’s the same, while robbing you of your time.

It's hard not to admire a group so utterly devoid of pretense. "We're Endless Boogie and we... Well, shit, you already know."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I mentioned in one of my last posts here that I gave up listening to Metric's latest album, Synthetica. I've since gone back and listened to it many times over and have come to the conclusion that I enjoy it muchly. Not my favourite album of theirs, but there's some great stuff on there. Anyhow, I bring this up because I was listening to what is probably my favourite song of theirs:

[

I think it best sums up what they do; it's a really good example of their sound, what their lyrics are typically like and on top of that is just solid minutes of rocking. Not to get too deep either, but there is something that really resonates with the lyrics for me.