Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

GameSpy Hosted servers, shutdown on May 31st

http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pricing/

Effective May 31, 2014, GameSpy will cease providing all hosted services for all games still using GameSpy.
    If you have any questions about how this impacts your favorite title please contact the game’s publisher for more information.Thanks for a great ride!
    - See more at: http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pric....KIRhKrGF.dpuf

Polygon is making rounds asking publishers about their GameSpy use:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/3/5579...ng-matchmaking

Titles from a wide variety of publishers, including 2K Games, Activision, Bethesda Softworks, Electronic Arts, Epic Games, Sega and Ubisoft, use GameSpy Technology for multiplayer services. An Activision representative told Polygon that the publisher's catalog will be unaffected by the shutdown. Epic has been "phasing out" GameSpy for its Unreal series of first-person shooters, said a spokesperson, adding, "We're spinning [up an in-house solution] next week and we don't foresee any impact."

In a post on the Bohemia Interactive forums this week, studio head Marek Spanel said that the end of GameSpy Technology will affect matchmaking, CD key authentication and NAT traversal in games "from Arma: Resistance to Arma 3."
    Spanel added, "Other games (Take On Helicopters, Arma 2, Arma 2: Free, Arma, Arma: Cold War Assault) will have more limited multiplayer experience with loss of server browser, CD key [authentication] and NAT traversal systems. That said, direct IP connection to servers should work even after GameSpy services are no longer available."

We've reached out to Glu Mobile and all the companies involved to find out what will happen to GameSpy-based games after May 31, and what the publishers' plans are for those titles. We'll update this article with any responses we receive.

Update: "There are a few titles for which Capcom utilizes GameSpy's matchmaking services for online gameplay. We are evaluating migration solutions and will have more information in the near future," said a Capcom spokesperson in an email to Polygon.

I know a lot of older games that no longer have GameSpy access have Lan/DirectIP options and can use Hamachi and GameRanger to still play online. To bad Glu would not just open source the code (assuming if possible and it did not contain other licensed code).

Banned
    Oh crap!! My beloved Halo Combat Evolved online demo!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Battlefield 2, Rome total War, still have many players, this is a dark day, dozens of communities crunched up.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    But how will I be able to connect to Barrysworld TFC#4 Now?!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Oh crap!! My beloved Halo Combat Evolved online demo!!
    When I played through the campaign at the start of last year I had a peep online to see how its MP was holding up; still well over a hundred servers. For a game that is now over 10 years old, that's pretty darn good. It does lend more credence to a Steamworks supported re-release though. That doesn't help the other games affected by this unfortunate issue.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

I foresee many updated, overpriced and underwhelming re-releases in Steam's future. Gamespy dead and GfWL on its last legs, somebody at Valve must have been busy with his voodoo dolls and is rubbing his hands right now.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    AvP Classic uses GameSpy, I think. Unless they finally got around to moving the MP to Steamworks sometime after the Steam release.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    It is steam works actually.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nice. I need to reinstall that.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Does/Did Crysis 2 use this?
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    No, but Crysis, Crysis Wars and Warhead do.