Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Gamespot may have caused the end of the world

I'm not kidding - they let a woman review GTA V - HOW COULD THEY!? - and it's not - well - ahm - err - oh....

http://uk.gamespot.com/grand-theft-a...=Topslot;Slot1

Seriously, do NOT read the comments unless you are prepared to give-up hope because not only will you see hatred and ignorance, they are using the review score system to justify it.

For those not willing to click (and I don't blame you) she gave it 9/10 and used the words 'profoundly misogynistic' in the summary - everything then went bonkers...

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    they let a woman review GTA V
    used the words 'profoundly misogynistic' in the summary
    and that, is how you drive traffic to a site, folks. watch and learn

I'm not kidding - they let a woman review GTA V - HOW COULD THEY!?
    What? Like it's a crime to "let a woman review" a game? You should probably check this kind of attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    While it's obvious trjp is being sarcastic, do we have to do this every time? Can't we leave gamespot to stew in it's own horrible juices of internet rage?

Here, I'll end the thread.

Women can play and review games. Now let's all be bitter that none of us get to play GTA V on our PC master race systems today.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Can't read the comments, the stream updates way too fast.

Best comment: "in the context of the game misogynistic is good and we love it!"

edit: Also, saying that GS let Petit review the game "just to get hits" is as bad as all the horrible stuff being said in the comments.
    Last edited by Faldrath; 16-09-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Apologies to trjp if they were being sarcastic, but I think it's better to confront things like that, whether done in jest or seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    You don't really need to follow them... in fact, trying to make any sort of narrative sense out them is probably bad for your (mental) health.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm not kidding - they let a woman review GTA V - HOW COULD THEY!? - and it's not - well - ahm - err - oh....

http://uk.gamespot.com/grand-theft-a...=Topslot;Slot1

Seriously, do NOT read the comments unless you are prepared to give-up hope because not only will you see hatred and ignorance, they are using the review score system to justify it.

For those not willing to click (and I don't blame you) she gave it 9/10 and used the words 'profoundly misogynistic' in the summary - everything then went bonkers...
    It's a game aimed at teenage boys and offering virtual wish fulfilment of their fantasies of being "real men", much like cod.

Not suprised at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    As a women, I'm offended

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    What? Like it's a crime to "let a woman review" a game? You should probably check this kind of attitude.
    Erm being sarcastic I think

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    It's a game aimed at teenage boys and offering virtual wish fulfilment of their fantasies of being "real men", much like cod.

Not suprised at all.
    And (possibly, because I don't know the details) encouraging teenage boys to engage in misogyny is a bad thing, mmmkay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    In summary, the reviewer is transgender so everyone assumes he's biased.

IGN's reviewer is Keza MacDonald and she gave it 16/10 or something.
    The difference between the two approaches:

Keza - "One prominent supporting character spends most of his time in his room shouting sexual threats at people on a headset whilst playing a first-person shooter called Righteous Slaughter (“Rated PG – pretty much the same as the last game.”) It’s not exactly subtle – he literally has the word “Entitled” tattooed on his neck, and the in-game radio and TV’s outright piss-takes don’t leave much to the imagination – but it is often extremely funny, and sometimes provocative with it. Grand Theft Auto’s San Andreas is a fantasy, but the things it satirises – greed, corruption, hypocrisy, the abuse of power – are all very real. If GTA IV was a targeted assassination of the American dream, GTA V takes aim at the modern American reality. The attention to detail that goes into making its world feel alive and believable is also what makes its satire so biting."

Carolyn: - "Characters constantly spout lines that glorify male sexuality while demeaning women, and the billboards and radio stations of the world reinforce this misogyny, with ads that equate manhood with sleek sports cars while encouraging women to purchase a fragrance that will make them “smell like a bitch.” Yes, these are exaggerations of misogynistic undercurrents in our own society, but not satirical ones. With nothing in the narrative to underscore how insane and wrong this is, all the game does is reinforce and celebrate sexism. The beauty of cruising in the sun-kissed Los Santos hills while listening to “Higher Love” by Steve Winwood turns sour really quick when a voice comes on the radio that talks about using a woman as a urinal."

Keza thinks the outrageous but believable world is enough to drive the point home.
    Carolyn wants the game to also explicitly say that the outrageous elements are wrong.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Women can play and review games. Now let's all be bitter that none of us get to play GTA V on our PC master race systems today.
    I think that petition asking Rockstar to not make a PC version has reached 10,000 signatures.

Biased about what? She gave the thing 9/10 and said it was good, despite her concerns. I see zero reason for the vitriol in the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I think that petition asking Rockstar to not make a PC version has reached 10,000 signatures.
    I still think it was a mistake to give them citizen rights.

Quote Originally Posted by DeekyFun View Post
    Biased about what? She gave the thing 9/10 and said it was good, despite her concerns. I see zero reason for the vitriol in the comments.
    That would imply the "critics" have actually read the damn review which I can assure you, most certainly did not happen.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    To add to Sir Kicksalot's summary above here's an extract from Keith Stuart's (obviously a bloke) take in the Guardian (emphasis mine):

Keith: Women are, once again, relegated to supporting roles as unfaithful wives, hookers and weirdos. The one successful female character in the story is suspected of just wanting to screw her boss. Of course, GTA is essentially an interactive gangster movie, and the genre has a long history of investigating straight male machismo at the expense of all other perspectives, but it would have been wonderful to see Rockstar challenging that convention. It's fine to parody the idiotic misogyny of violent men, but how about doing it by providing their opposite? It seems Rockstar North's all-male writing team is too in thrall to Tarantino and Brett Easton Ellis to really consider this.

So it seems (from these three reviews at least) that there's a consensus view that there's material in it that is intended to be a satirical swipe at misogyny but disagreement over the extent to which this has been a success, and to the extent at which more should have been done to make it so (personally I think Keith's suggested approach of just having more decent female characters in the game is a far better approach than Carolyn's, which seems to imply the satire needs to be underlined with some unsubtle declaration of intent - which I don't feel would come across particularly well).

Added: Haven't read the comments thread, I can (sadly) imagine it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Re: Character behavior is sometimes inconsistent.

I am reading the review and I don't think she understands how people work.
    She don't know the difference "That asshole" to "My asshole friend".

Re: Politically muddled and profoundly misogynistic

I have never seen a game get a bad review because of this.
    Last edited by Tei; 16-09-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    I've been browsing through the comments for a few minutes now, and I just don't understand. For some reason they seem very agitated that the game was rated 9/10? I suppose it is a reminder that there will always be kids on the internet that get emotionally attached to a bit of software.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    To add to Sir Kicksalot's summary above here's an extract from Keith Stuart's (obviously a bloke) take in the Guardian (emphasis mine):

Keith: Women are, once again, relegated to supporting roles as unfaithful wives, hookers and weirdos. The one successful female character in the story is suspected of just wanting to screw her boss. Of course, GTA is essentially an interactive gangster movie, and the genre has a long history of investigating straight male machismo at the expense of all other perspectives, but it would have been wonderful to see Rockstar challenging that convention. It's fine to parody the idiotic misogyny of violent men, but how about doing it by providing their opposite? It seems Rockstar North's all-male writing team is too in thrall to Tarantino and Brett Easton Ellis to really consider this.

So it seems (from these three reviews at least) that there's a consensus view that there's material in it that is intended to be a satirical swipe at misogyny but disagreement over the extent to which this has been a success, and to the extent at which more should have been done to make it so (personally I think Keith's suggested approach of just having more decent female characters in the game is a far better approach than Carolyn's, which seems to imply the satire needs to be underlined with some unsubtle declaration of intent - which I don't feel would come across particularly well).

Added: Haven't read the comments thread, I can (sadly) imagine it.
    I actually discuss with my girlfriend quite often the extent to which comedians who have specific persona need to outright state their satire. She thinks that people are sufficiently stupid to miss it unless it's pointed out. I, people here may be surprised, don't generally hold the opinion, but I think it's a tricky subject I don't claim to have answers for. But, I would bring up that recently, far cry 3 ran into the same problem, did it not? The creators claim it's a cutting satire of the great white saviour, but in practice, it was indistinguishable from the trope it claimed to lampoon, and they were rightly accused of trying to have their cake and eat it - claim to be subversive, whilst not being remotely subversive.

I can't say the same for GTAV, I've not played it, and I'm unlikely to - but it's certainly something to consider.
    Last edited by Serenegoose; 16-09-2013 at 08:51 PM.