Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Towns - Ever wanted to be the mayor of tristram?

Hello fellow rps dwellers. i am helping develop a management/building simulation game that takes inspiration from various sources, which the main source for is dwarf fortress.

The game sees you as the "mayor" of this little frontier fantasy town, one that just happens to be on top of a dungeon filled with bad monsters.

While you build and expand your town, dig down the earth, mine resources for crafting weapons and fend off monsters or wild beasts, AI heroes with an interest in dungeoning will pass by the town and seek bed and shelter, shops to buy from and a tavern to socialize with other heroes before they venture into the newly dug or the pre existing dungeons that lies beneath the town.

you will not be able to control those heroes, however you could influence their actions by declaring prizes for certain tasks. (basically, giving them quests).

we have a few more planned core feature that i can not reveal right no, as it still in early alpha. right now you can dig, build and expand your town in an isometric world with up to 8 levels of depth filled with monsters and ores but the heroes mechanic are still not finished (so it isnt introduced) however you can already see the potential in the game.

Id be happy if you guys drop by and let me know if you have any opinion, question or critique regarding what you can see and play right now. by the way, the next release will be coming shortly and with it upgraded graphics and mechanics. (you can already see videos of people play testing early stages of that release)

you can drop by our website here:
    http://www.townsgame.com

or go straight to see a lets play here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eMfl...layer_embedded
    Last edited by burningpet; 13-10-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Looks like isometric Dwarf Fortress with a dash of Majesty. Shame the vid's in spanish though, but the visuals explain it well enough. I'm guessing the quests for heroes are paid with whatever you mine? Is there a goal other than see how rich you can get?

Network Hub
    Sorry about the vid in spanish, we are looking for someone to make a lets play in english, so if anyone is interested, we would gladly send him a copy of the latest build.

yes, the quests will be paid with whatever you mine or with gold which you could gain from selling crafted items to the heroes or the money they spend in the tavern.

You are right about the Dash of Majesty, however, at the end, majesty felt like an rts, just with a delayed response:

The very core concept of majesty is brilliant, but the fact that every hero looked the same, had almost the same weapons and armour and you basically built whichever type of hero you wanted to have, made it so that the heroes felt more like regular rts units than individual heroes. the flags system basically made it so that the heroes would just hang around the city and go and do things almost only when you put that flag - they had no real purpose other than the one you gave them at a certain moment.

those are things we want to avoid, i cant elaborate on how at the moment because i am not sure i am allowed to. this is also true about the goal, there is a planned "main goal" mechanic, which you could ignore if you want to play it as a sandbox.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Majesty did not feel like an rts when the stupid ignorant pr- people ignored your orders or lured the areas "big bad" into your base causing a fail beyond your control.

An rts with delayed response (courier based maybe) would be much more playable, and I'm a strategy kinda guy.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Ha! You're doing something rather close to one of my backburner ideas. Neat. The concept is a bit different (you play the role of a world-crafting DM rather than a mayor), but the gameplay would've been somewhat similar. I was thinking SimCity, Majesty, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc.

Really looking forward to see how this develops.
    Last edited by TillEulenspiegel; 24-10-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    You really need to do something about the interface, and need to do it early. Look at all the things you want the game to do and then design the interface from the ground up to be as clear as possible.
    Of course I know that what you have now can only be placeholder, but you really need to give it thought as early in the project as possible. Down the road of nested text menus lies only pain.

Don't put it off until "later" like Dwarf Fortress.

I think the monsters should come out of their caves every now and then if there aren't enough heroes battling them, so there's another good reason for the player not to overcharge and drive away all the heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Ha! You're doing something rather close to one of my backburner ideas. Neat. The concept is a bit different (you play the role of a world-crafting DM rather than a mayor), but the gameplay would've been somewhat similar. I was thinking SimCity, Majesty, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc.

Care to share some more information? That already conjures some cool images in my mind.
    Last edited by c-Row; 24-10-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Obscure Node
    Hey guys, Alexander Poysky here, from the Towns team. I'm making a note about the UI. So far it's functional but we want to make something really nice. Hopefully in the upcoming weeks following this release we'll be able to implement something that uses images or buttons rather than text. Feel free to shoot me any questions regarding the game"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    This looks really cool. Building art in the newest video looks great, too! When will there be a playable build?

Obscure Node
    ENGLISH subs embedded on the let's play. I just finished em all up guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvNIeaEfqWY

-Alexander Poysky
    (Towns Team)

And with regards to the latest build. If I can finish what I have to do, TONIGHT!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post

Your idea sounds very nice. i also had this idea about a multyplayer DM game where one play's the DM and a group of other peoples play the adventurers. would be less of an economic game for the DM but more of a sophisticated story telling engine.
    i really hoped minecraft would grow to be that kind of a game actually.

Interface, this is a major concern and we will want to implement the best interface possible (due note that a game with so many options and complexity will also have a complicated interface) that is why we are taking it slowly. however i do research many games, software and websites to see approaches to such problems. being a graphic designer myself, i can tell you that the importance of an interface is not a strange concept to us.

c-row - yes, we really want to convey that the town is sitting a top an "active volcano", meaning it will not be possible to just leave the citizens on the surface and be safe there. organised monsters (goblins and such) will raid the town and siege it, wandering monsters is also a soon to come mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by burningpet View Post
    Your idea sounds very nice. i also had this idea about a multyplayer DM game where one play's the DM and a group of other peoples play the adventurers. would be less of an economic game for the DM but more of a sophisticated story telling engine.
    Back in the day I harboured ambitions of hacking Sleep is Death so you could have multiple narrators/players.

Never did, though. I'm just too lazy.

Obscure Node
    Part two of our subtitled let's play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDiFm...eature=related

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alexpoysky View Post
    Part two of our subtitled let's play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDiFm...eature=related
    Are you guys spanish or...?

EDIT: Supermalparit. Vale, de BCN.
    Last edited by pakoito; 26-10-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Obscure Node
    0.30 IS FINALLY out! Come on over to our new website and grab it while it's free! www.townsgame.com

Obscure Node

use our blog for the time being!

http://supermalparit.blogspot.com/ use our blog for the time being in order to dl the game!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Are you guys spanish or...?

EDIT: Supermalparit. Vale, de BCN.
    BCN, o cercanías, tienen que ser. De todas formas, buen nombre, buen nombre XD
    (Disregard this spanish rambling, merely poking at the studio's name)

Obscure Node
    Lol thanks! Yeah he IS from barcelona, although I am from the states but live in murcia, I work as a soldier in the spanish armed forces.

Obscure Node

new banner AND website www.townsgame.com

I would just like to give you guys a few words of encouragement. It's a great idea for a game and it is looking good. I'm looking forward to playing the finished product one day.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine — couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.