Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Hey guys, this is Teddy Leach from How To Play.

I'd be very interested in seeing how this game develops, and likely in writing a few previews down the line. If one of you could drop me an email at manwithstuff [at] live.co.uk, that'd be grand.
    Last edited by Teddy Leach; 29-10-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Obscure Node
    Thank you so much for your praise! Rest assured we are trying our hardest!

Kind regards

-Alexander Poysky

Obscure Node
    Well, we will be on desura shortly with any luck, so look out for us there!

Network Hub
    Hey, i am bumping this to show a new tutorial i made that is aimed at people without extensive isometric art skills. the tutorial require google sketchup and some sort of photo editing program (gimp would do)

How to draw an isometric tree in 10 easy steps:
    http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index...350#msg2719350

thanks for watching, i hope it was helpful.

If anyone is trying to download Java to get it to run try this:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Played a little bit. Seems good. Menu system needs some work but I basically get what's going on. Not sure I would if I hadn't played a bit of Dwarf Fortress though.

Look forward to playing it a bit more tommorrow - which is already a million times better than DF!

Obscure Node
    Well thanks so much for the vote of confidence man! We are working on a top secret project right now, it'll change the game for the better by tenfold.. but don't let them know I told you that!

Alex

Towns team

Obscure Node

Heres a new image of custom buildings :D
    Last edited by alexpoysky; 02-11-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I downloaded this last night and had a blast - can't wait to see how this develops. I even dreamed about it!

I have a few questions though:

Is there a wiki set up anywhere? I couldn't find any documentation (I know it's an alpha)
    Is there any way I can find out the happiness of my citizens? Is it their name color?
    Which factors influence happiness?

Thanks! I can't wait to see what this becomes.

Edit:
    Other thoughts:

UI obviously needs a little work - I think a copy of SimCity's menu button functionality would be far superior - and for the menu to remember what you'd just clicked on (for example select chair and click click click everywhere you want a chair). Context sensitive right clicks could be expanded upon also.

I would love tooltips over buildings and tasks that would show you required materials (and whether you had enough)

A stock screen would be very useful as well as a screen where I could inspect all of my buildings and their current jobs. Any missing materials required to complete jobs (and holding up future tasks) should be noted.

A warehouse building (replacing stockpile functions) would be much more attractive than stockpiles.

I hope you'll be adding potion shops!

Hotkeys!

Adjust game speed?

Allow me to turn off music (or tune that guitar properly!)

Also, doodads (wells, shrubberies, woodpiles, braziers, etc.) and roads would allow me to fall further in love with my lovely little town.

Again I know you're alpha, these are just a few thoughts.
    Last edited by Smashbox; 02-11-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Obscure Node

there we go :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Very classy implementation - that looks great!

How many artists do you have working on the game?
    Last edited by Smashbox; 02-11-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    I downloaded this last night and had a blast - can't wait to see how this develops. I even dreamed about it!

I have a few questions though:

Is there a wiki set up anywhere? I couldn't find any documentation (I know it's an alpha)
    Is there any way I can find out the happiness of my citizens? Is it their name color?
    Which factors influence happiness?

Thanks! I can't wait to see what this becomes.

Edit:
    Other thoughts:

UI obviously needs a little work - I think a copy of SimCity's menu button functionality would be far superior - and for the menu to remember what you'd just clicked on (for example select chair and click click click everywhere you want a chair). Context sensitive right clicks could be expanded upon also.

I would love tooltips over buildings and tasks that would show you required materials (and whether you had enough)

A stock screen would be very useful as well as a screen where I could inspect all of my buildings and their current jobs. Any missing materials required to complete jobs (and holding up future tasks) should be noted.

A warehouse building (replacing stockpile functions) would be much more attractive than stockpiles.

I hope you'll be adding potion shops!

Hotkeys!

Adjust game speed?

Allow me to turn off music (or tune that guitar properly!)

Also, doodads (wells, shrubberies, woodpiles, braziers, etc.) and roads would allow me to fall further in love with my lovely little town.

Again I know you're alpha, these are just a few thoughts.
    Hey, thank you for the good response!

factors that gives happiness are, for the moment, idle time (they are a lazy bunch) having a personal room with a bed, cupboard and a chair, and having a dining room with a table and a chair. if one of the citizens dies, the overall happiness drops.

Regarding the suggestions you have made, you are probably reading our mind (or hacked into our design documents :) because almost all of them are planned. (some suggestions are great but will not fit with the new building system we have for the next release)

You cant adjust game speed right now other than pausing it (hit the space bar)
    You can turn the music off, it is in the main screen under the options button.

Again, thank you very much for the show of confidence.
    Last edited by burningpet; 13-11-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Obscure Node
    Oh, and burningpet is our artist :D

Network Hub

We are proud to announce that Towns 0.35 is officially released!
    This marks a whole new stage of development for us, because this is the last trial version of Towns that there will be.
    We are launching it with a new pre-order option that will get any users the latest build at a discounted price.
    Feel free to download 0.35 for free. If you like where we are taking the game, pre-order it, if not, let us know what we can do to make it a better experience for you!

changelog:
    changelog: Version 0.35 * Balance: Happiness
    Add: Connector tiles (I.E. Walls)
    Add: Custom zones/buildings
    Add: Custom queues to build items
    Add: Language options on main menu
    Add: Cancel custom actions
    Add: Cycle through citizens ('W' and 'E' keys or with menu)
    Add: Mouse to move the camera and mouse wheel to move the z-level
    Add: Tooltip with the prerequisites of each item in the menu
    Add: Date and time of error.log file
    Add: Towns icon
    Add: Resizable window
    Add: Custom mouse cursor
    Add: Towns executable (Windows only)
    Change: Citizens donīt get stuck on walls
    Fix: Entities doenīt die if you build a wall over them
    FIx: Custom actions on entities (i.e. kill a pig) works even if the entity moves before you click on the order
    Fix: Minor bug fixes and performance tuning

http://www.townsgame.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Do you have a price already?

Obscure Node
    It costs 9.95 if you buy it from our site. The price is bound to go up as we draw nearer to completion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alexpoysky View Post
    It costs 9.95 if you buy it from our site. The price is bound to go up as we draw nearer to completion.
    Good luck and tell Xabi that "Ole sus cojones toreros" ;)

Obscure Node
    Diselu tu si tienes huevos!

Obscure Node
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4BHH..._order&list=UL second let's play video made by me is up.

Extremely interested in anything that sets out to take inspiration from Dwarf Fortress but with a better GUI and visualisation, I'll take a proper look later when I'm not meant to be working...