Thread: Cricket games

Cricket games

Are there any good ones? I had an EA one in 2004 or 2005 that was okay. Watching/listening to the England matches has got me in the mood for a cricket and online flash type things aren't cutting it.

I notice there's a few on Steam, Cricket Revolution, Ashes Cricket 2009 and the Brian Lara one from 2007. Any of 'em worth getting?
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

The Brian Lara games are pretty good on the PS2/3. I tried it on the pc once though and it felt like a horrible port. :(

Evidently Cricket Revolution doesn't have test matches so fuck that.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Brian Lara on a playstation with a friend is the most fun you can have in a cricket game. When its close game every delivery can be nervewracking, it feels like a real game with the runs drying up and the screw turning until the inevitable yorker comes!

Stick Cricket is rather wonderful, although obviously very limited given it's an online flash game.

Yeah, I've been playing a bit of Stick Cricket but am hankering after something meatier.

General consensus for Ashes 2009 and Brian Lara 2007 seems to be that they're good in multiplayer but crap in single-player once the AI starts to show off its warts.

Activated Node
    Cricket 2005 with some of the AI mods is about the best you're going to get. Ashes 09, BLC2007 and Cricket Revolution are all terrible.

Man, that's the one I think I had before, too. Still, there's el cheapo copies on eBay so I could be tempted.

I've had hours of fun from Brian Lara '07, although I bought it over Ashes 09 as I was feeling more cheapskate and had heard mixed things about it. Basically, they're (somewhat) true, but that doesn't stop it being enjoyable. You can patch the names to be correct but they never patched the AI, and it is too easy once you get used to it. When you figure out how to bowl proper swing, you can skittle the AI fairly easily (although not always). Also the AI and the confidence system for batsmen are built around Twenty20, which means that the AI will try to take at least a run a ball, and if you don't do that, your batsman will lose confidence and the timing window for hitting a shot successfully gets smaller. It also means that scores will rocket up fast, both from the AI and from you, as the batting mechanics do allow for easy boundaries once you get the hang of it. I've never seen a test match - both innings - get into even the second day against the AI, but the sort of scores that can be produced aren't outside the realms of possibility. Swings and roundabouts, and whether you'd want to play it to real life pace is debateable.

The second big problem is fielding, which is far too tricky. 80% of catches, especially to the keeper, will be dropped because the timing window is too finicky, and throws back to the keeper from the fielder will always be dropped prior to him picking the ball up again to hit the stumps (making run outs of the AI virtually impossible).

However, if you have a 360 pad (you'll need it), the batting mechanics are very satisfying, the bowling allows variation, and in terms of a basic representation of these two key parts of the game BLC has them down in a very pleasing, satisfying way. In the process of learning the game you can have some very good matches, and even after this the AI can occasionally be surprising. But it does get very easy when you know how. I hear Ashes 09 was very similar, and an improvement for fielding, so it depends how much you want to spend. I never expected too much from BLC07 and I've had an enormous amount of fun with it.

Obscure Node
    I remember years ago there were a bunch of cricket management games, I doubt any new ones have been made since then. I can't remember the names, but I do remember the demos from PC Gamer :)