Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec

What is the legal status of No One Lives Forever?

What happened to the franchise during the Activision buy-up of Sierra? Why has no one tried to make a NOLF 3?

Even though there's a solid chance a new sequel would be dog shit that entirely misses the point, its still kind of sad that this franchise seems dead and forgotten.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    It's a good thing. Both of the games were fantastic and the premise was quite original, no need to run it into the ground with another sequel, or let's face it - a "visceral and engaging reboot of the franchise".

There are a few developers that could do the series justice if given the chance.

If it turned out shit, who cares? We don't have to play it.

The gaming world could definitely use some more Cate Archer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jim Stacey View Post
    If it turned out shit, who cares? We don't have to play it.
    You and your crazy ideas.
    Last edited by Rii; 27-10-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    The gaming world could definitely use some more Cate Archer.
    So long as it's the Cate Archer we know from the previous games, and not a crappy reboot. I would support a new NOLF.

'Caus no one lives forever!
    Last edited by soldant; 26-10-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: But evil never dies!

Two-weapon limit, cover system, QTEs, dark and gritty. You know you want to.
    Stealth Mode!

Wasn't there a third game in the series, based around a different protagonist?

Contract J.A.C.K
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/contract-jack

Apparently a bit ropey.

As awesome as those games were (And my god were they awesome) I'm pretty sure they didn't sell well, so whoever holds the rights probably is in no hurry to do anything with the license. Shame too, since as far as I'm concerned NOLF and its sequel were Monolith's high point.

Let's face it - 60's spy spoof with female protagonist, colorful environments and a strong focus on stealth are so far removed from what publishers consider a hit formula these days I wouldn't be surprised if an Activision exec broke into hives if someone suggested making a new game in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by buemba View Post
    Shame too, since as far as I'm concerned NOLF and its sequel were Monolith's high point.
    This is mostly why I had to ask. Monolith had reason to expect FEAR 2 to be a hit after the first one was so acclaimed, but they had to know no one would give a shit about FEAR 3 after that (and to my knowledge, no one did). If they had the license to make NOLF I doubt they'd have wasted their time with it. I wouldn't be surprised if the next game announced by Monolith is a FEAR spin-off or sequel; it seems like its all they got after the buyout.

Activated Node
    We are very excited to anounce a new game in the No One Lives Forever franchise. ARCHER:ORIGINS is a re-imagining of the original game for a modern audience. Featuring a new, sexier, grittier and more mature Kate Archer, it takes the series in a new direction, without forgetting the core of what made the original series so great. Everyone here at GenericSoft is a great fan of the original games and some of us have even watched a Let's Play of them on youtube. The new Kate Archer is an eighteen year old, leather thong wearing slutty looking girl, that acts all tough but secretely needs a guy to take care of her, but we'll still somehow manage to sell her as a strong and independent woman and get extremely sensitive and touchy if anyone accuses us of doing otherwise. The game will feature multiple new grim and dark looking environments, fast paced and visceral gameplay and a whole host of new gadgets, which will be automatically used during cutscenes and quicktime events, because we want to keep players in the flow of the game. This is not reducing the complexity but streamlining the interface for modern audiences. Also, we've replaced the 60s soundtrack with some generic heavy metal.
    Last edited by Okami; 26-10-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Nah, another game wouldn't work. They'd just end up turning it into a generic isometric turn-based affair.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Best FPS ever, in these times it would be turned into a modern shooter. Or it will be still set in the 60s but Kate Archer will be turned into a gruff american and he will be fighting Russia!

Activated Node
    Communist Russian Muslim Terrorists!

We get it, devs butcher revived franchises. NOLF WITH METAL MUSIC HAW HAW HAW.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Anyone remember what engines they ran on? I think the sequel was some kind of proprietary monolith thing, but didn't the first run on Quake 3? IF so I imagine the first, at least, would run ok on modern hardware.

They should at least re-release them. GOG or steam would be nice. And an HD remake ala MDK2 would be awesome.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 26-10-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    Anyone remember what engines they ran on? I think the sequel was some kind of proprietary monolith thing, but didn't the first run on Quake 3? IF so I imagine the first, at least, would run ok on modern hardware.

They should at least re-release them. GOG or steam would be nice. And an HD remake ala MDK2 would be awesome.
    I did a full search last night and they aren't for sale anywhere digitally. They definitely need a GOG overhaul though. The last time I tried to play the first NOLF the only music was drums. So during the main theme all I heard was "boom bap boom bap boom bap" for a few minutes.

NOLF 2 holds up a lot better in the stability department and is still nice looking artistically.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post

I think the first one ran in the same engine as Shogo. The lithech engine I think it was.

Activated Node
    Yup, was lithtech.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Wasn't there a third game in the series, based around a different protagonist?

Contract J.A.C.K
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/contract-jack

Apparently a bit ropey.
    Well it basically killed the franchise so yeah, it was a bit ropey.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Killed may be a strong word, it wasn't that strong as a franchise to begin with (the games obviously didn't fit the gaming culture then any more than they would now).

IIRC they used different versions of Lithtech for all their games of this time. I remember a video of the new version's water effects for NOLF2.

Easily my two favourite games. Kinda silly there are no digital downloads around :o
    Last edited by orcane; 26-10-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    Stealth Mode!