Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frewster View Post
    Although then we'd still have the problem of only having eight members.
    Hey, we're getting there! I actually quite like Battlelog (I've spent more time with it than I have playing the game!) but I have no doubt that there are some fairly major improvements in the pipeline to compete with Elite.

The other advantage I see to the Platoon system is, assuming we're all dedicated to this game and want to play it, mumble/ventrilo and BF3 servers could be split 100 ways. That's obviously a bit down the pipeline (and I don't know what the going rate on either of those things is) but we could feasibly have a server set up for each platoon and always have a place to go and play together.
    Last edited by sabrage; 30-10-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Obscure Node
    Hey, we're getting there!
    Yeah, definitely. I'm sure that there are also some people who haven't been admitted yet. And I'm not hating on Battlelog (it works tons better than I thought it would), although the way server pings don't load until you scroll down is incredibly annoying, I'm just hoping for updates like you are.

That's a good idea about us all pitching in for a server. The more people we have, the better, and we could probably get a channel on the RPS mumble server if we asked nicely enough. It's a shame that BF3 has no voice chat. I just don't see how they could think it wasn't worth the effort for the amount of teamwork it would enable/add.

Also, just checked on server pricing. They look to be around $60-85 monthly for a private 64 player one, which I'm guessing is what we'd be going for, right?

$60-$85? Is that normal? Yeesh.

Of course, that's only about $1-$1.20 a slot, so I guess it's not that bad.

Obscure Node
    From what I've read BF3 is a lot more resource intensive than most games, and that's why servers cost so much. That and the fact that you can't roll your own server.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by frewster View Post
    we could probably get a channel on the RPS mumble server if we asked nicely enough.
    There are a couple of BF3 channels on the mumble server, you are welcome to use those as necessary.

I would definitely chip in for us to get our own server. If (and it's a big if) we got around 30 people who play reguarly and are willing to donate it would only be a few pounds each per month, I personally know I'd definitely get more than my money's worth for that.

Activated Node
    The only problem is now all the RPS "A List" are in the first platoon, and the dregs are in second! (I'm including myself here.) :)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by harvb View Post
    The only problem is now all the RPS "A List" are in the first platoon, and the dregs are in second! (I'm including myself here.) :)
    Clearly we need a platoon vs. platoon showdown to disprove this.

Although I am both in platoon 2 and pretty awful at the game.

Obscure Node
    second rater here as well :)

i think i'd be up for chipping into a server if we had reserved slots

Also not so great, though I'm definitely improving. Though my win/loss ratio is screwed up because I keep joining servers on the losing team 10 seconds before the game ends :(

Obscure Node
    I'll chip in for a server. Might even get a chance to play at some point soon too (time and constant crashing permitting).

Obscure Node
    I'm willing to chip in too, it'd be worth it to play with team voice comms and a bit of coordination. Of course with me on the team it might be coordinated crashing into trees and exploding, but still.

Does anyone want to take leadership on server rentals? I just don't know if this is ever going to happen if we wait till this thread fades into obscurity :(

Network Hub
    Accepted the latest handful of applications.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    Does anyone want to take leadership on server rentals? I just don't know if this is ever going to happen if we wait till this thread fades into obscurity :(
    How would we go about collecting the money? Sending it to someone's Paypal account? With 22 people in the American platoon, I think we definitely have enough people to pay for a server. If everyone is up to paying $3 a month for a server from Multiplay, I'd be up to setting it up.

We would definitely need some kind of list of names before we commit to actually getting a server, probably even a month of payments in advance, to avoid the scenario of ending up vastly under funded.

Obscure Node
    Yes, so if you're in the Rock Paper Flechette platoon be sure to go to the platoon page and reply to insomnialways' post about the cost of a server and if you'll pay for it. That way, like duff said, we'll have a list.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    We would definitely need some kind of list of names before we commit to actually getting a server, probably even a month of payments in advance, to avoid the scenario of ending up vastly under funded.
    +1 me to those who'd be up for this and yeah happy to pay subs in advance.

Or, just an idea, maybe would RPS be willing to set one up and fund it by getting people to sign up for a monthly 'RPS server subscriber' site subscription fee, the current $2 + the monthly server cost?

Network Hub
    Jim (I think) stated that RPS would be getting a server "eventually", whether people want to get one to fill the gap is a different matter.

Yeah, I saw that - the question is whether we also want an American server. I've had pretty good connections with Europe so far, and I'm west coast, so it may not be an issue.

I do think it makes a lot of sense to run it through RPS for sign-ups, if they'll let us do that.