Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    On servers.

Leave it to the Hivemind and the Sponsors to decide if there will be an official server. Wait at least a week, perhaps two, before taking action. If they decide not:

• Do not rent a private one, it runs the risk of being empty all the time (c.f. RPS BF2) even if you use the standard RPS passwords.
    • Make sure people are willing to sit around on the server and wait for others to join, or it will be empty all the time anyway (c.f. RPS Brink, RO2, to a lesser extent TF2).
    • Rent from a good provider (like Killer Creation), especially if they'll let you upgrade the server at any time if demand increases. Start with 32 slots or less.
    • DICE require that you rent from a partner. This is not cheap, and precludes the Arma box from being used. Sorry, guys.
    • Have a dozen or so good admins who play every day.

On money matters:

• Donations tend to be an unreliable business, and you need to keep them above board.
    • This means regularly posting the funding status. A self updating image can work well, but is contingent upon either careful book-keeping or the use of an independent paypal account.
    • Two servers (EU, US) will be beyond what you'll be able to afford until you've got a steady supply of dosh. BF3 is expensive. I'd probably recommend making them entirely separate entities to avoid any timezone issues.
    • Remember that you're riding on the coattails of the RPS community, so don't expect huge amounts of help from the hivemind. They might give you some front page posts to advertise the server if they don't have their own plans for one.
    • Play down the donations thing; the last thing anyone wants is for someone to drop 200 on the server and then never use it.

E: Don't spend extra on VOIP. Use the RPS Community Mumble Server. All users should be able to make temporary channels, and we already have a couple of permanent ones for BF.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Obscure Node
    Bit late, but have joined Platoon 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    If anyone from platoon 1 or 2 (or Flechette, although I can't imagine ping'll be great) wants to add me as a friend, my tag on Battlelog is The_JG_Man. I want to play with people who know what they're doing, or, at the very least know what they should be doing, might suck, but have a good time while doing so. Don't have my headset set-up quite yet, but text chat should be fine regardless.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Great tips, Null. Thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I've just applied to join Platoon 2. I'm seriously dying to get in a squad with people who know what they're doing so that we can actually use tactics. My ID is, weirdly, neema_t.

Obscure Node
    Long time reader here, and a dearth of my normal companions on the Third Field of Battle has led me to actually register. I'm already joined up on Rock, Paper, Flechette, now I'm looking to figure out when people are normally on. I've had good experiences on the Bad Company 2 and ArmA 2 servers, so I have high expectations. I'll see you guys in there.

I'm guessing peak times would be evenings/weekends GMT, but there are enough people that there should be at least a few folks on at all times. Though don't expect everyone to be tactical experts ;)

Make to friend or follow the people from all three platoons if you want to find people online at any given time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Well, they don't call me "insomnialways" for nothing.... I play almost exclusively between the hours of 10pm and 6am.

Is there any way we can set up a Kickstarter-esque fund, where we can have a self-updating tally of how much money people have pledged, but not actually transfer any funds until our monthly quota is met? I feel like that would be the ideal way to go about this.

I'd volunteer myself as an admin. I'm playing hours a day and that's likely to continue, I'm also too scared of Null eating my soul if I do anything wrong - to mess around..

As an aside- I'm looking to record a BF3 roundtable via mumble at some point in the next week, it'll probably be about 30-45 minutes long, and will cover a few aspects of the game, from Origin and the battlelog, to the unlock system, single player, and stand out multiplayer moments. If you're interested, please chuck me a PM. I'll chair it, so beyond questions won't talk a great deal, but I'm looking for 4 distinct viewpoints. If you think you can offer a solid viewpoint, be it as a battlefield 1942 veteran coming back for one more fight, or as an FPS junkie/Origin skeptic, let me know.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Finally got round to actually sorting out Mumble (mostly) and added the RPS server. I have even added RPS clan tags to my BF3 profile, so we can terrify people when we join en-masse (before they notice we are actually a bit shit.)

Ready to play whenever anyone else is.

So urm, what platoon should I join if I'm a UK player?

Zerosquad from Rock Platoon Shotgun in action.

First half - semi-serious flying with Head the helivet and Washington and Sulphur colliding planes twice
    Second half - wholly comedic flying for Sulphur's first helirun
    Very ending - narrow parking spaces have always sucked
    This is not a patch on Operation Asshat!

Last edited by Ayam; 13-11-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Godammit head.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Made a third platoon, since the first and second have reached the cap already.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...5241098685472/

Scheduled a steamgroup event this Friday for those who would like to steal my super cool dogtags or just want to play on the UK RPS server.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPS...45295713268210

Joined Platoon 3, but only have a handful of players so far. Is anybody in 1 or 2 done playing and want to donate their slot to me :) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brnin8r View Post
    Scheduled a steamgroup event this Friday for those who would like to steal my super cool dogtags or just want to play on the UK RPS server.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPS...45295713268210
    Roll up roll up chaps, there is much shooting to be done, lets get the RPS server going. 7pm onwards from tomorrow for the fun-times.

Activated Node
    Haven't been able to play for over a week now, since that last damned patch :(

One final bump for the 7pm shoot-a-thon on the RPS server today, then I will shut up. And if no one shows, I will gorge my tears away on delicious profiteroles until I begin to cry whipped cream.