Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I just installed my preorder and, apart from feeling slightly dirty for having Origin on my PC and being appalled at the opacity of the user interface (you access the GAME through a BROWSER? I mean, people told me about this but I thought they were mad or drunk or both) I have run into problems actually running it - the occasional hitch in play and repeated sound effect, and then after a couple of minutes on a server I'll encounter a stuttering sound and then a lock up and game crash.

I suspect a sound issue since I am using the onboard sound from my EVGA nforce motherboard - can anyone recommend a decent, not too expensive, relatively easy to install because I am clumsy, sound card that might allow me to run the game?

Activated Node
    For a low cost quality sound card I recommend the Asus Xonar DG. Just pop it in an open PCI slot and install the drivers. I have one of these cards and it hasn't given me any problems in games but I don't play BF3 on that PC. Here is an Amazon link.

Activated Node
    That sounds more like an over-work issue than a sound issue. If a PC is struggling then hitches in visual/sound can occur. Might want to try running things at a lower graphics setting before paying for a new soundcard?

Have applied to join the UK Platoon as I just got this game for Christmas. :)

Is it worth getting the expansion? Didn't realise there was one. :/

Network Hub
    Yeah the new maps are great. Will be back on the battlefield myself in the new year \o/

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    Is it worth getting the expansion? Didn't realise there was one. :/
    I think the new maps are very good and that seems to be were the majority of the players are. There are still plenty of servers that run the original maps though.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I'm waking this one from hibernation, sorry if that's not okay, but it has a great first post and stuff so why let it waste away.

There seems to be at least a couple of us still playing BF3 actively, so we should get some gaming going! We are all spread out across the numerous RPS platoons, and since you don't recieve notifications when someone writes on a platoon page on battlelog those are a lousy way to stay in touch anyway.

I'm not very good with time zones, but if someone else would like to arbitrarily set up a time on sunday or something we could try to get together and PTFO! I have never tried using the RPS mumble server but it is still in full operation as far as I know, correct?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Maybe we should just friend up and do it on an ad hoc basis, so far since posting my Battlelog page in the other thread only you and Aadvek have added me, the guy who was asking in the first place certainly hasn't! If we get one more we can work as a squad on a public server or something, but if I'm on my clan's server it's likely I'll be in a squad with them, though you are more than welcome to join in should you wish to play so much Kharg that both your eyes and soul start to bleed pixels.

Yeah my bad, been away for a bit. Will add now.

Nothing much happens here and I figure I'll just idle in the mumble channel for bf3 whenever I'm available, so just jump in if you want to squad up.

Necro-ing this thread to let you all know that DW and I are now frequently playing BF3, usually Thursday and Saturday evenings. Add me on Origin and/or Steam (Capernatious) and ping me when I'm online!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    If I was to try and get into bf3 I'd love to try to get into it with you fine folks. Is their any early game upgrades you'd strongly recommend?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

The most reasonable way to start is to pick a gun for your chosen class and stick to it, instead of trying everything right away. That way you can quite quickly unlock the sights and attachments for that gun, and you learn how to handle it. Also I'd really recommend running Assault to begin with, since it is just so much easier to kill and survive with that class, which allows you to level up faster.

All the starting weapons for all classes are excellent, so unlocking good sights is the main thing at the start.

I just started playing BF3 in November, and I found Support to be the class I liked most. I stuck with it, got some nice unlocks for the Pecheneng and others, but now Assault is something I play more, as the people I play with tend to take more risks than me and get shot more. PADDLE TO THE CHEST and up you go!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    If I was to try and get into bf3 I'd love to try to get into it with you fine folks. Is their any early game upgrades you'd strongly recommend?
    I'd recommend starting as Assault for at least a few hours before trying anything else.

It's the Medic class so you can contribute early on (by rezzing your mates), survive quite a bit thanks to your medikit and still kill plenty of folks thanks to the outrageously powerful M-16 starting rifle.

Once you feel confortable with the game, you can start branching out as an Engineer or Support.

Recon is pretty much an entirely different game.

I'm loving playing the support at the moment. Just got the Pencheng now and working my way through that.

Assault with the M16 is definitely the way to start
    Truth aint gonna change the way you lie, Youth aint gonna change the way you die

:frogsiren: Tonight, the 24th, around 7 pm GMT, DW and myself will be playing! Just hop on the Mumble server if you feel like joining.
    Be aware, though: we only play on servers with the Hardcore difficulty level.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddin View Post
    I just started playing BF3 in November, and I found Support to be the class I liked most. I stuck with it, got some nice unlocks for the Pecheneng and others, but now Assault is something I play more, as the people I play with tend to BE SIGNIFICANTLY MORE AWESOME AT KILLING than me and get shot more BECAUSE THEY'RE WINNING THE GAME. PADDLE TO THE CHEST and up you go!
    Fixed that quote for you.

Genuinely though, come and play - BF3 really shines with a full squad, and it gives us more firepower on voice chat to call down at any one time.

I'd agree that the M16 is stupidly powerful [it's my favourite assault gun every now and then. I change my mind a lot] and that recon IS an entirely different game. Although, I play recon differently to everyone else, with a 3.4x scope, silencer and making most of my shots within 200 metres [besides a 650 metre headshot and a 550 metre headshot on a little bird pilot who thought he was safe. mwahaha]

Recon soflam is a key part of any good rush defence strategy however, so it's worth learning to use the spotting and flam to your teams advantage.
    Last edited by DWZippy; 24-01-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    Recon soflam is a key part of any good rush defence strategy however, so it's worth learning to use the spotting and flam to your teams advantage.
    *beep beep beep beeeeeeeeep* LOCK! *fwoosh* *boom* Man, that's a good feeling.

Network Hub
    C4!

Also I am playing with those two up there, I believe we may be doing it all over again tonight UK time.