Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Not too sure how often everyone ventures into the Game Clubs forum, so, in case people miss it, it has just been posted in there that RPS now has a server. It is only 32 players, but could still be a lot of fun.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    So it is better then in BC2 then?
    i enjoyed bc2 quite a bit more tbh.

it knew what it was trying to be, etc.

Ah. Battlefield 3. Finally I get to meet you properly without the nagging feeling in my head that I shouldn't be playing and that I should do some other stuff instead which is way more important and has a deadline I might not achieve if I stop playing RIGHT AT THAT INSTANT.

It's good. It's fun. It's neat. It's technologically quite impressive. But it has this little asterisk attached to it.

I just came back from a magnificent game. Joined partway through, grabbed an airplane, and took off from the US side of Operation Firestorm; Conquest Large. Shot down one other jet, then got shot down myself. Bailed out above capzone E; the one that's a bit far away from the others, which everyone always forgets about. Capped the capzone, after shooting some mans that were stationed there with my newly-acquired F2000 with a Heavy Barrel and an ACOG sight.

As I dropped a healthkit for myself to lick my wounds, I saw a few tanks approaching from the Russian side. There's practically a huge desert between E and the Russian spawn spot, so I saw them coming from very far away and quickly dashed behind some walls. As I sat there, scared to peek out and get shot by massive tank power, I noticed another tank coming from the other entrance to the capzone, followed by a few mans. I shot the mans with my F2000 friend, and let the tank pass. It hung around the capzone for a while until a friendly chopper blew him up, and I took care of the guys hopping out of the tank. Meanwhile, the other tank also enters the capzone, also gets shot until it burns, and I take care of the engineers that hop out to repair it. A few more men on foot try to ambush my capzone, and I take care of those with a few bursts of my probable new favourite weapon. Unfortunately, one of them manages to hit me quite severely and brings me down to 10% health, so I run around a wall, drop a medkit, and pray that nobody spots me there.

As I lay down, praying for my own life, I notice that cute blue number on the bottom right of my screen. My ammo. It's running out. I figure I have about enough ammo left to shoot one man down and then take his weapon off his dead body. I look around for teammate Supports, but I can't see any of them. This capzone must really be off the US team's radar, as so far I have only seen enemies.

I spot a buggy approaching me from the Russian base. I dash around a wall on the outer rim of the capzone, turn around the wall, and manage to shoot the driver out of it. I still don't really know how; the F2000 ain't the most precise weapon of all, and my aim generally sucks. The gunner steps out, spots me, and runs towards me. He's an engineer. Another russian spawns on his ass, meaning that there are two nasties running towards me. I can only imagine their faces behind their engineer masks. They must be grinning madly as they're about to double-team a poor Assault without any ammo left. I unload my F2000 and pistol. Somehow, I kill them both, yet are left with 0% health. I've seen this happen a few times; you don't actually die until you go below 0% health. I was pumped. No ammo left, I quickly drop a medkit, rush towards the body of the soldier I just killed, and take his weapon. I can't say I know exactly what weapon that was; it didn't seem familiar at all, but I was glad it had an ACOG scope.

So here I am, with a weapon I can't remember ever using, at the outer wall of a capzone. I'm facing the entire battlefield. I see snipers in the distance sniping, tanks in the distance tanking, and choppers chopping far above me. I check what set I have just picked up. Great, an assault. That engineer I killed must've took this from another body. I press '3', hoping to see a medkit pop up. Damned. Grenade launcher. I check my ammo. Enough for two clips. I contemplate moving out and grabbing whatever kit the other engineer I shot had, but figure that that'll just give away my position to the massive number of snipers obviously camping outside just beyond my visual range, which I see as an obvious indication of their nefarious intent.

As I've healed up, I check to see if the dead engineer's weapon is still there. It's not. I'm too late. I run back to the capzone so that I can get behind the walls again, safe from enemy snipers, when I see another buggy racing towards me. His exact direction makes it clear to me that he's going to try and ram me. I take my weapon to my eye, and shoot the bastard out of his buggy. His buggy just barely manages to miss me. His driver (who must've been sleeping as he never shot me) jumped out, and I took him down. I grab his kit and finally manage to get into solid cover again.

SCAR-H. No scope, no other attachments as far as I can tell. Damned. I hit '3', hoping to find an RPG. Damned. Anti-air. I magically look at my radar at just the right time to see a guy attempting to flank me, and I shoot him down just as he rounds the corner. Unfortunately, he brings me down to low health zone, and without a healthkit I can do nothing but sit and hope that my health will go back to what it used to be.

A tank rushes in, followed by a few guys. Somehow, I manage to shoot the mans down without them noticing me (I was shooting at them from their left side, they must've not noticed in time to shoot at me). The tank rushes past and continues to not bother about me. A chopper moves overhead ready to drop people off at the cap zone, or assist the tank that's now capturing my precious cap zone (I can't differentiate between transport choppers and attack choppers yet). I take out my anti-air, and manage to disable the damned thing. It flies over me, and lands somewhere safely. Engineers hop out and start repairing that damned thing like mad. I peek over a partially-destroyed wall, and unload a clip of my SCAR-H without caring for proper burst firing. I somehow manage to take one guy down; the rest hop into their partially repaired chopper.

I take out my anti-air again and shoot at the chopper, all whilst there is at least one tank near me and I figure I don't have long to live anymore. The chopper is disabled again and flies off somewhere else out of sight. I smile as I see the 'destruction bonus' text pop up. I realize I'm doing pretty well, and message a friend through Origin that I just managed to get a 16:0 k/d ratio, as I thought he was still in the same server as I was. As I'm doing so, more enemy tanks show up to take that capture zone. The Russkis must really like it.

I take out the footsoldiers with surprising ease again. The tanks happily do not acknowledge my existence and camp at the heart of the capture zone. Suddenly, I hear music in the background. I look in the bottom left corner of the screen. The Russians are almost out of tickets. The music goes louder and louder, until my screen suddenly turns blueish-white.

Your team won. Top of my own team: Megagun. K/D: 21:0. I smile the widest smile I've ever smiled when playing Battlefield 3, and suddenly become aware of the adrenaline flowing through my body. I did it!

As I sit there, looking through my stats and messaging a friend through Origin, I can't wait to look through the battle report. Something about those advanced statistics it shows can be pretty damned satisfying.

The next map loads, and I exit as I have to run some errand.

As I come back, I load up Battlelog to look at the report. It's not there. The game didn't save anything at all. I look at my statistics for the F2000, and the tactical flashlight isn't displayed as being unlocked for me, even though I unlocked it in the game I just played. The game wasn't recorded at all. No stats were saved. Why, game, why!? Why this particular game, my own little 'Battlefield Moment', instead of that other game where I humiliated myself horribly by continuously crashing attack helicopters into the ground!?

That's the asterisk I told you about earlier. Although the technology is quite neat, and the webbrowser-based server browser is actually something I like, some stuff just doesn't always work correctly. A friend of mine has problems with the voice chat (he keeps getting kicked out of it after 10 seconds). Others have problems with games not being saved. Yet others have problems with the game crashing often at map changes. Very unfortunate.

That said, Battlefield 3 is still quite an amazing game. I bet I'll continue to love playing it for a few months to come.

TL;DR: Joined a game. Flew a jet. Shot down another jet then got shot down myself. Captured a capzone, killed a lot of dudes, feared for my life as tanks swarmed over my position and I had little health. Swapped weapons twice with guys I killed due to lack of ammo. Ended the game with a 21:0 kill-to-death ratio, which then wasn't saved by Battlelog and the stats were never saved either. Blah.
    Last edited by Megagun; 14-11-2011 at 08:32 PM.

A friend of mine woke up with this in his inbox:

Greetings,

Your Electronic Arts Online account has been permanently terminated from the Electronic Arts Online service for violating the Terms of Service. The account will no longer be accessible in any way, and all property, items, and characters associated currently are or will soon be deleted.

Violation: Inappropriate Screen/Persona Name

The EA Online naming policy is a derivative of the Terms of Service, and is designed to prevent any inappropriate conduct or vulgarity via a character name. This policy covers character names, group/clan titles, group/clan names, and any other user-generated content.

Screen Name:jihadswag

As the decision in this matter is final, please know that it is possible that no further correspondence regarding this account will be acknowledged. We regret having to take this final step, but it is entirely necessary on behalf of protecting the Electronic Arts Online community.

We respectfully ask that you please do not phone or email Electronic Arts regarding this matter from this point forward. We also ask that you understand and respect all statutes within the Terms of Service, as they still contractually apply to you as per the original agreement, especially the sections regarding terminated members of the service.

Sincerely,
    Customer Support
    Electronic Arts, Inc.

EA.com Customer Relations

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by TODD View Post
    A friend of mine woke up with this in his inbox:
    we must protect electronic arts from names with jihad in them

turds
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Ahh, good ol' EA account bans. That's a way to win hearts and minds.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    AA = Anti-Anything. Good lord. I'm used to a few things being badly balanced in a BF game, but this is ridiculous.