Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    BF Conquest imo has always lacked direction. Unless your playing with those online campaigns like 21CW it's always going to be headless chicken running from point A to B then back to A again. I never found that any real "battles" ensued like they would in a game like RO.
    Only plans worthy of being followed are the ones you set for yourself.

"This round, I'm going to play air superiority and destroy any tanks I see."
    "This round, I'm going to take B and stick to the building between B and C and cover them both."
    "This round, I'm going to cover A so I can out-flank the flankers running towards the killing zone at B."
    "This round, I'm going to use my newly-gotten ATGM for the IFV to truly wreck somebody's day."

If you're expecting wars with clearly defined front lines, play an tight map with horrible bottlenecks like Operation Metro or Seine Crossing. Personally, however, I hate them, because they tend to get filled with mortars and snipers and it's a rush to see who can get to a point first so that the rest of the game can devolve to basic sector denial.
    Last edited by Nalano; 06-11-2011 at 05:40 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Sigh.

This is such a fun game, but I want to be able to play it. Either I can't join a server because I get disconnected with one of 3 or 4 different disconnection messages or about 15-20 minutes into a server, I'll get disconnected. I've manually updated punkbuster, can't really think of what else to do. When I'm actually playing it, for the most part it's good fun. I still think the map design is pretty shoddy and the unlock system is absurd, but the actual game part is fine. Maybe a few unbalanced items/weapons, but nothing that can't be patched easily with a few number tweaks.

I just want to be able to play. In one sense, it reminds me of Space Marine - very fun multiplayer, but difficult to actually play the damn thing. When you're able to, it's a fun and unique experience. I'm sure this is the usual BF teething, but it's so damn frustrating.

If anything, it's making me want to go and play 2142. Something about the Titans and real map design, I'm sure. Also, I don't need to unlock any nonsense thanks to my rank...
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Sigh.

This is such a fun game, but I want to be able to play it. Either I can't join a server because I get disconnected with one of 3 or 4 different disconnection messages or about 15-20 minutes into a server, I'll get disconnected. I've manually updated punkbuster, can't really think of what else to do. When I'm actually playing it, for the most part it's good fun. I still think the map design is pretty shoddy and the unlock system is absurd, but the actual game part is fine. Maybe a few unbalanced items/weapons, but nothing that can't be patched easily with a few number tweaks.

I just want to be able to play. In one sense, it reminds me of Space Marine - very fun multiplayer, but difficult to actually play the damn thing. When you're able to, it's a fun and unique experience. I'm sure this is the usual BF teething, but it's so damn frustrating.

If anything, it's making me want to go and play 2142. Something about the Titans and real map design, I'm sure. Also, I don't need to unlock any nonsense thanks to my rank...
    These two fixes may make no difference to you, but - I had this badly during the beta and also on the first day. I looked into two solutions and have enabled both. I'm not sure if either or them has actually worked, or why, but I haven't experienced any of the "Your connection has timed out" errors since I followed these instructions.

http://www.enterbf3.com/topic/3933-c...roblem-solved/

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...sconnects.html

Obscure Node
    I've applied to join the RPS platoon if whoever's in charge can give me the OK :D

That's me, there, clippa - http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...ats/173269018/

I've tried the first one Winstons, so we'll see how that helps. I appreciate any help I can get with it, really.

Edit: That seems to have done the trick. Immense thanking in your direction.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 07-11-2011 at 04:14 AM.

Maybe it's me, but I'm having to put a lot of effort in to enjoy this.

There are so many glaring issues, I really don't know where to begin. At the very least, we need more maps that aren't completely garbage. Where are my giant tank arenas? In fact, why do none of the flags in conquest reward you with additional vehicles? I might be able to handle some of the other nonsense if the maps were good.

Edit: You know what, I was rather optimistic after the alpha. The game felt a lot better than Bad Company 2, had a lot going for it. Nope. This is Bad Company 3. I refuse to accept that this is the sequel to BF2/2142.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 08-11-2011 at 12:08 AM.

There are so many glaring issues, I really don't know where to begin. At the very least, we need more maps that aren't completely garbage. Where are my giant tank arenas? In fact, why do none of the flags in conquest reward you with additional vehicles? I might be able to handle some of the other nonsense if the maps were good.
    Fixed for you.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Operation Firestorm isn't open enough for large scale tank battles. Also, 64 players and only 3 MBTs a team? Also, why not have tanks that spawn at those side points to the main three? Gives them some strategic worth.

Also, where DO the vehicles spawn in Caspian? Even so, that'd only be 1, unless others do too and I've completely missed them. I also wish to stress, by spawning vehicles, I mean those that are strategically worth having, ie. IFVs and MBTs. Hell, open up Damavand Peak on CQ by allowing the heli port to be capturable. If you get it, you get an attack chopper, or something.

So few of the flags in CQ actually have strategic worth. They're just there because they need to be.

Firestorm, Caspian and Kharg work, but they need to be more. Why isn't Firestorm that entire basin? Why isn't Caspian more spread out? Why isn't Kharg the entire thing. It's not like it isn't rendered. I find Grand Bazaar is decent too, although the combat tends to be rather circular in that.

I just find myself disappointed. I wasn't even that hyped either. The gameplay is, for the most part, fine. It's just the maps are so tame. Back to Karkand looks like it might fix that, but I really hope the future maps improve drastically.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I fixed my sound issues so I managed to play more. I haven't played much, but I already know which ones I'll avoid in the future:
    - Operation Metro is bollocks. I think we all figured that out in the beta lol
    - Grand Bazaar and Seine Crossing have horrible bottlenecks. Conquest is basically 90 seconds of capturing the nearest flags then everybody enters the meat grinders. I made some mad points as Assault and I admit it's exciting to revive people in the middle of the chaos, but it got old fast.
    - Damavand Peak is not quite as bad as the three above. Some interesting stuff can be done with the vehicles there, however it ends up being a wider bottleneck.

I'd gladly swap these four maps for Atacama Desert, Port Valdez and Arica Harbor. At least those are awesome in Rush and work well enough in Conquest. I suspect being part of a clan or playing with friends greatly improves BF3's bad maps, but I'm not that lucky...

Also, 64 players and only 3 MBTs a team?

Also, where DO the vehicles spawn in Caspian?
    Four tanks a side. Four. Four tanks, two jeeps, one each of attack helicopter, jet fighter and mobile AA.

Points A and E in Caspian Border each spawn a tank and a jeep.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

That emphasised do wasn't supposed to be "Prove me wrong lest you're an idiot!", it was me genuinely going "Well where the hell ARE they then?!" so fair enough, proven wrong there. Even so, Caspian has decent map design, but the flags are far too close. That's its problem.

That emphasised do wasn't supposed to be "Prove me wrong lest you're an idiot!", it was me genuinely going "Well where the hell ARE they then?!" so fair enough, proven wrong there. Even so, Caspian has decent map design, but the flags are far too close. That's its problem.
    If I came across as condescending, I apologize. You get one free apology a year, though, so don't squander it. ;)

I suspect, however, that if the flags were any further away, it'd be too much of a punishment for being on foot.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I suspect, however, that if the flags were any further away, it'd be too much of a punishment for being on foot.
    This basically. The maps do a nice enough job of feeling suitably large for the vehicles but give you plenty of cover for infantry fighting. The tanks are great but if you go into the centre of Firestorm or amongst the forested areas of Caspian without infantry support you will get an RPG up your bum. Thats how it should be.

Network Hub
    It's not helped by letting people jump straight into vehicles. In theory, you can spawn right into a transport helo or amphibious tank and get straight back to supporting your team!

In reality, it means !?!l33tsn1p0r666!?! can spawn straight into that F/A-18 or Apache, and fly it over their chosen destination before bailing out (assuming they don't crash straight into a hill or building withing ten seconds of takeoff)

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    It's not helped by letting people jump straight into vehicles. In theory, you can spawn right into a transport helo or amphibious tank and get straight back to supporting your team!

In reality, it means !?!l33tsn1p0r666!?! can spawn straight into that F/A-18 or Apache, and fly it over their chosen destination before bailing out (assuming they don't crash straight into a hill or building withing ten seconds of takeoff)
    That's cut down a bit by the fact that recon gets to plop a little satellite dish that acts as a respawn location, eliminating the need to hijack the helicopter every single fucking time.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post

Or, worse, at round start you jump a helo ride with the !?!l33tsn1p0r666!?! chappie who then has a go at landing it in the first capture point but instead spins it into the ground at the last minute killing himself and all passengers. And then says nothing about in on chat afterwards and carries on as if nothing had happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If I came across as condescending, I apologize. You get one free apology a year, though, so don't squander it. ;)
    Ha, thank you. :) It was actually me more worried I was coming off as aggressive, like slamming down the incriminating files on the desk in front of the nervous person who had nothing to do with the crime...I watched Castle earlier, hence this awful analogy.

I imagine you're right there. Sigh, though at the same time, there's nothing wrong with having some flags close together, but when you have big vehicle maps, having them all together just seems a little silly. I don't mind areas of concentrated infantry action, but why not have 2 or 3 points far off that are good for vehicles? Controlling one of these gives you access to more vehicles to make it more worthwhile. Things like that were utilised well in the older BFs, hell, even in Bad Company 1, which is why I'm a little bemused it's not evident here.

That being said, I can well and truly believe the DLC maps, excluding B2K for the moment, will be bigger or more spread out. I'd say though that of the big 3 I've mentioned (Caspian, Firestorm and Kharg) Kharg is the best of openness for tanks and air vehicles, yet remains decent for infantry. Unfortunately, the flag lay-outs are also rather linear. If you could somehow combine those three, you'd probably get an unbelievably awesome map, with great infantry fighting areas, large vehicle arenas and map design that isn't a little disappointing.

For what it's worth, went on a good run with Recon last night. Getting marksman headshots, apart from being satisfying, seems to be one of the few ways to actually get points with the kit. A real shame they've seemingly neutered it. The idea of going spec ops, like I could and did in 2142 with a shorter-range weapon and explosives just isn't possible, so you're stuck to anti-infantry, apart from the SOFLAM which takes a relatively long time to unlock as Recon. Really, the entire unlock system is so skewed. "You need to be good at your kit to get this, but to get this far, you need to be good with your kit." seems to ring true for so many unlocks.