Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar

Problems with new SSD

So I bought an OCZ Revodrive x2 240 GB and plugged it into my Asus m4a79xtd EVO mobo( OCZ has it on list of supported mobos). m4a79xt doesn't have any x8 or x4 PCI-e slots so I plugged SSD into a second PCI-e x16 slot. I installed Windows 7 x64 Ultimate on it with drivers from OCZ site. Then I ran Windows performance benchmark and it gave my SSD 5.9 which is really not much( my older RAID 0 was 5.9 too). So I swapped my SSD and my GPU. Now it gave my SSD 7.2. So, basically, it's motherboard problem with PCI-e, right?

PS: I have mostly no idea what I am saying above.

Yes. Manufacturers that include two PCI-e x16 slots actually include only one and a half. They're designed for use with SLI/crossfire, and when one slot is occupied, the other drops down to x4 or so. When both are occupied by graphics devices I think they go at x8/x8. This doesn't have much effect on the multi-gpu case, and true dual x16 boards are extremely rare and expensive.

However, having the SSD in the secondary slot shouldn't have a large effect. The windows benchmark is pretty naff, so look into crystalmark for checking your SSD performance instead. Mine was a sata device, so I can't help any more than that.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Huh, I didn't even know you could get PCI-E SSDs.

In any case the Windows benchmark tool is only testing sustained transfer rates, which doesn't reflect the full range of benefits an SSD offers over a traditional HDD.
    Last edited by Rii; 27-10-2011 at 01:58 PM.