Page 1 of 103 1231151101 ... LastLast

Shall we talk about Skyrim?

I'm starting to get really excited about playing this. I've tried a few of the low budget knockoffs lately (Risen, that one in which you can turn into a dragon.) and I haven't been impressed at all.

It is looking utterly gorgeous and I can't wait to explore it. I'm even considering upgrading to a Radeon 6870. I can't remember when last a game made me want to upgrade.

So are there any other un-cynical internet people out there who are still capable of getting excited about a game and is it this one? Also, can we keep the whining about it not being some contrived morality simulator to a minimum please. It's ok for a game to be about exploring a beautiful and interesting world.

For anyone interested here is a forum thread discussing system specs : http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...ardware-guide/
    Last edited by Wooly Wugga Wugga; 29-10-2011 at 12:37 PM.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    I'm very excited as well. I'm also very worried - and I hate myself for it a bit. I'm worried that the rose tinted glasses I had for Oblivion's epic scale, potential for exploration and crafting your own narrative will be made dour by all the other open world experiences in the past 5 years. I'm worried that it will be a horrible console port and suffer many of its predecessors flaws that ended up only being corrected by mods.

It sucks that I can't be just pure excited, that it's tempered by critical experiences with the genre, the developer, and the series.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

I don't usually get excited (I mean child-like excitement) about things but I am looking forward to playing this. Especially since my gaming time has become somewhat more restricted I can't wait to play something juicey that I can sink my teeth into.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooly Wugga Wugga View Post
    that one in which you can turn into a dragon.
    Divinity 2 is not a knock-off of Skyrim or Oblivion, so no wonder you weren't impressed.

I'm excited about Skyrim, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nothing about Skyrim is very appealing.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Nothing about Skyrim is very appealing to me.
    That's the spirit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

This video got me more excited for the game than anything else I've seen (and I pre-ordered two months ago!) and negates Wizardry's comment rather nicely.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
    That's the spirit for me.
    I couldn't agree more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I'm starting to get really excited about playing this. I've tried a few of the low budget knockoffs lately (Risen, that one in which you can turn into a dragon.) and I haven't been impressed at all.
    because Risen never wanted to be Elder Scrolls and neither did it's predecessors Gothic I & II.

Anyway, I am a tiny bit excited about Skyrem yes but I'll wait for the first reviews and impressions and then decide if I want to shell out.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Divinity 2 is not a knock-off of Skyrim or Oblivion, so no wonder you weren't impressed.

I'm excited about Skyrim, though.
    And neither is Risen, which is a spiritual successor to the Gothic series.

Edit: Ninja'd.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

It's the 2nd best seller on STEAM currently. I believe it has appeal for a great many PC gamers.

Edit: That Concept Art to Ingame Assets video is pretty damn good.

I am looking forward to Skyrim... I know it's not going to be perfect, and I know, out of the box, it's not going to be the game I'll want to play for 9 - 12 months... but with a little work in The Elder Scrolls Construction Set, it'll be much better.
    Last edited by Unaco; 29-10-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

I'm starting to get really excited about playing this. I've tried a few of the low budget knockoffs lately (Risen, that one in which you can turn into a dragon.)
    "Low budget knockoffs" ? What the fuck ?

I'm avoiding videos and previews in general but I did read that the art design of Skyrim was in response to the generic nature of Oblivion. It's almost as if they are channeling an almost Frank Frazetta type vibe. It's a world I want to explore.

Also, apologies to those defending Risen but I feel that Gothic was an attempt at an open world RPG (Oblivion was also an open world RPG) and since Risen is the "Spiritual Successor" to the Gothic series it puts it in the same genre. Buy anyway, my intention is to avoid a hatefest in here so let's just say that the two games i mentioned just didn'tscratch my Open World RPG itch and I'll leave it at that.
    Last edited by Wooly Wugga Wugga; 29-10-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    And neither is Risen, which is a spiritual successor to the Gothic series.

Edit: Ninja'd.
    Damn right. Casually accusing a respected decade old franchise of being a poor man's Elder Scrolls? I've a mind to get medieval on his ass, but this is really about Skyrim. I'm very excited about it and can't wait to resume my career in the Dark Brotherhood.

Looking forward to Skyrim and hoping it offers better experience in vanilla (unlike oblivion). I'll be playing it a lot but I gotta keep myself from playing too much and wait for mods to come. I hope that steam christmas sale provides some games to fill the gap in waiting for skyrim mods.

So are there any other un-cynical internet people out there who are still capable of getting excited about a game and is it this one? Also, can we keep the whining about it not being some contrived morality simulator to a minimum please.
    Totally unnecessary. Not cool.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    Totally unnecessary. Not cool.
    I couldn't give a fuck about morality simulators so I don't see your point.

Anyone else concerned that the required disk space for install is only 6GB? Does this mean we're stuck with low-res console textures, or are Bethesda really amazing at compressing assets?

I couldn't give a fuck about morality simulators so I don't see your point.

And yet there are rules in place to ensure that everyone discusses their mutual love of all things game-ey - can we keep it this way?

Quote Originally Posted by corbain View Post
    Anyone else concerned that the required disk space for install is only 6GB? Does this mean we're stuck with low-res console textures, or are Bethesda really amazing at compressing assets?
    I think Bethesda had an interview where they claimed to be amazing with compression, yeah.
    Last edited by Alex Bakke; 29-10-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    can't wait to resume my career in the Dark Brotherhood.
    They might be the first group I seek out. Once I had their sneakysuit I almost never wore anything else.