Network Hub

What are you cooking?

No cooking threads?!? Horrifying!

Tonight, we shall be having grilled lamb chops and asparagus. I never even enjoyed lamb until somebody recommended grilling it-- the fat burns so nicely, and once you've got some good grill marks on either side, the bone conducts heat perfectly from the coals to the rest of the chop.

I use a lighter marinade for lamb than I do other meats: a bit of red wine vinegar, a bit of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper of course. Then I use a lot of lemon juice (I prefer lime for other marinades) and some rosemary. The asparagus marinates in the same pan as the lamb chops.

I believe I'll serve it with a light salad of baby spinach and tomato. For the first time in years, the grocery store has started stocking good tomatoes, and I can't get enough of them. There's still some gorgonzola in the refrigerator, so maybe I'll make a dressing out of that and whatever dairy I can scrounge up.

Oh, I love lamb! Grill it, roast it in the oven or make some nice meatballs with it and I'm set! The important bit is to cook it just long enough. Don't cook it long enough and neither flavour nor texture is good. Cook it too long and.. well, no meat should be too well-done. We buy more or less a whole lamb every autumn from a farmer nearby, which is just amazing!

Summering at my parents' holiday home atm, which is always nice. Today we had beef tenderloin in a sauce of Roquefort (were planning on Gorgonzola, but didn't have any... Roquefort was good, but much stronger flavour) and cream, with pasta. It's a good way to make use of the ends of the tenderloin that are too small to use on their own. I'd have liked some tomatoes with it, but my sister had run off with them earlier. Had some parsley on top, which was kind of nice. Just me and mom tonight, which is a prerequisite for this, since neither dad nor my sister like cheese. Cretins. Dad's actually away catching dinner for tomorrow, which is...

Crayfish! Hallelujah! We're debuting a week early, but that's no biggie unless you're a die-hard traditionalist. I love crayfish, just like any other Swede (maybe a bit more), but fresh and home-cooked is just the best! Can't wait!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I live a boring life and cook boring food. Also I'm the laziest man on earth.

Usually I bake turkey breast in the aerogrill. I have no idea how the process of preparing meat is called in elnglish, when you take the piece, smudge it with mayo and/or mustard, add onion and then put it into a fridge for a night. Then I just put it into aerogrill without the onion because it burns and leave a smell. Meanwhile I cook rice, add some olive oil. Eat it with some ketchup, drink lots of water.

Also, Belorussian potato fritters( no idea, google translated) aka "draniki". A bit annoying to cook but pretty good. Four or five potatoes grated into an almost paste, one onion grated same way, two big spoons of flour, two chicken eggs, optionally couple of big spoons of oats. Smash it al ltogether and put into aerogrill. 10 mins on one side and 10 on another, requires a solid surface to cook on( I put aluminium foil on a grate). Add sourcream( or anything, really) to the result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

I have discovered I can exist entirely on gammon and garlic bread for days at a time, and it appears to be doing my waistline some good.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Network Hub
    The lamb ended up being fantastic. I put a few dates and peperoncini on the salad. The real star was the gorgonzola dressing, which was perfect with both the salad and the lamb: about a tablespoon of gorgonzola, two of parmesan, a splash of milk and a splash of apple cider vinegar and a splash of lemon juice, a hint of mayonnaise, maybe a half teaspoon, sour cream to bulk it out, maybe three tablespoons. And, of course, salt, pepper, garlic. Which everything gets, always.

I think my plan tonight is to make homemade ravioli, which I have never tried before, but it turns out that making fresh pasta is easier than I thought it would be-- I just tried for the first time about a week ago, and the hardest part was getting all the fettuccine cut and not sticking to itself. Not sure about fillings: spinach+parmesan+white sauce sounds good, but there's also a bit of chicken sausage I need to use up, and mushrooms, and some pesto...

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    neither dad nor my sister like cheese. Cretins.
    Insane.

Crayfish! Hallelujah!
    Oh my god. I love crayfish. Let's just clarify, you're talking about these, right?

300_crawdads.jpg

I had crawfish once-- caught fresh, boiled in their shell, and served in a five gallon white plastic bucket-- and fell in love. I've been looking for them since. Found them once, but they were intended for animal feed or something and stunk of ammonia so I tossed them.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Usually I bake turkey breast in the aerogrill. I have no idea how the process of preparing meat is called in elnglish, when you take the piece, smudge it with mayo and/or mustard, add onion and then put it into a fridge for a night.
    Lol I don't know what you call it either, never done it myself :) Sounds a little like marinade-- but different? Sounds delicious though.

And I'd never even heard of an aerogrill before. I had to look it up.

It's fun reading about cooking from different parts of the world. What kind of vegetables do you eat in Belarus? It looks like turnip+cabbage country.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I mostly keep my food simple, I can't really afford to keep lots of fancy ingredients around, and half of them end up going bad and getting chucked out if I don't know what to do with them. But that doesn't mean I can't have nice food! I make most of my meals from the basic ingredients (except bread/dough, too much effort).

Last night I had bolognese, but with spinach and parsley instead of the usual English mess of onions, mushrooms and an Oxo cube. Mixed it all up with the pasta after cooking, topped with cheese and baked for 20 minutes. Delicious, and much easier than making proper lasagne.

Burger and chips (fries) are another thing that's much nicer when they're not pre-prepared. Let baking potatoes sit until they go wrinkly, slice them up, coat in oil and seasoning and bake for ~30 minutes. Crispy on the outside and fluffy inside, I have some sesame oil for some reason and they taste great cooked in that. Burgers involve squidging your hands around in a bowl of meat and spices, but you can flavour them yourself without the huge amounts of filler and weird frozen burger flavour.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Lol I don't know what you call it either, never done it myself :) Sounds a little like marinade-- but different? Sounds delicious though.
    Marinade it is. I'm just doing it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

I managed to burn some bacon in the kitchen today. Had to eat salad like a filthy animal instead.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    And, of course, salt, pepper, garlic. Which everything gets, always.
    Yes. Everything. Always. (mostly..) The dressing sounds nice! Not sure about putting milk in it, but maybe I'm just narrow-minded.

I think my plan tonight is to make homemade ravioli
    Do it! I've ended up making ravioli both times I've made my own pasta. It's a good base for some creativity. Good ravioli is some of my favourite food.

Oh my god. I love crayfish. Let's just clarify, you're talking about these, right?

I had crawfish once-- caught fresh, boiled in their shell, and served in a five gallon white plastic bucket-- and fell in love. I've been looking for them since. Found them once, but they were intended for animal feed or something and stunk of ammonia so I tossed them.
    Yeah, that looks about right. If you're desperate for crayfish, I wouldn't be surprised if IKEA has some frozen, especially during August (traditional crayfish season). They probably won't be top notch, but one must make do with what's available. Or just go to Sweden!

Dad got home too late for us to have them really ready for dinner, so we'll go cray cray tomorrow instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I mostly keep my food simple, I can't really afford to keep lots of fancy ingredients around, and half of them end up going bad and getting chucked out if I don't know what to do with them. But that doesn't mean I can't have nice food! I make most of my meals from the basic ingredients (except bread/dough, too much effort).

Last night I had bolognese, but with spinach and parsley instead of the usual English mess of onions, mushrooms and an Oxo cube. Mixed it all up with the pasta after cooking, topped with cheese and baked for 20 minutes. Delicious, and much easier than making proper lasagne.

Burger and chips (fries) are another thing that's much nicer when they're not pre-prepared. Let baking potatoes sit until they go wrinkly, slice them up, coat in oil and seasoning and bake for ~30 minutes. Crispy on the outside and fluffy inside, I have some sesame oil for some reason and they taste great cooked in that. Burgers involve squidging your hands around in a bowl of meat and spices, but you can flavour them yourself without the huge amounts of filler and weird frozen burger flavour.
    Simple food is good! Food isn't supposed to be arduous. I tend to prefer having fewer ingredients that really get to shine over using 50 different things (often disappearing in the fray anyway). Don't get me wrong, I like both making and eating more complex dishes as well, but it's not usually what I go for.

Have you tried putting chicken liver in the bolognese? Once in a while, I do this slow bolognese, simmering on the stove for hours, and the liver gives it a really nice richness. Sesame oil is great. I wish I had more oils, but I tend to just let them sit around, without ever using them.