Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

What Is Happening to Hong Kong?

Yesterday I had business duty to deliver some documents to some offices in Central, CBD of Hong Kong. I saw many people on the road. They werent supposed to do that because I am so sure that's illegal, yet they form a very large crowd, and police didn't surround them. In stead they seemed to be merely observing them, with no attempt to force the crowd to disperse. Yesterday when I delivered another batch of papers to an office in Wanchai at around 16:00, my contact person received it but urged me to leave immediately because yesterday they had early release authorized by their boss.

Damn all bus routes were suspended in the zone, I had to walk all the way from North Point to Central, then back to Wanchai, and then take MTR to Shatin. Next time you make me walk that long way I will beat up someone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    They're protesting because the mainland is interfering in their elections, which breaches the agreement of the handover from 1998.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Banned
    That I heard. They want to elect their own government president, which is very weird. Don't know why they think they deserve that.

So they dare to go on the street to protest illegally for this agenda? I think Kongeses are all chicken.

Nationalism!

thats not excellent.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Is " Kongeses" the right word? I always wondered what to call people from HK as a collection.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Is " Kongeses" the right word? I always wondered what to call people from HK as a collection.
    The people of Hong Kong?

Yeah.. But French, German, Spanish, American, Swiss, The People of Hong Kong, Tibetian, Malaysian. Only one is out of place.

Yeah yeah, always with the Sauerkraut and Knickerbockers! We're trying to fit in, ok?
    Forum janitor in training.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    That I heard. They want to elect their own government president, which is very weird. Don't know why they think they deserve that.
    It's a pretty straightforward interpretation of the "high degree of autonomy" Hong Kong was promised until 2047.

So they dare to go on the street to protest illegally for this agenda? I think Kongeses are all chicken.
    Huh? They're chicken because they dare to do something?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Huh? They're chicken because they dare to do something?
    Chickens are actually pretty brave birds, they have a social order managed by violence and (Alpha cockerel especially) will fight off predators.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    It's a pretty straightforward interpretation of the "high degree of autonomy" Hong Kong was promised until 2047.
    I love that that sentence sounds like something out of a science fiction novel.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; Today at 10:04 AM.

Trimmed and emboldened for emphasis.
    I saw many people on the road. They werent supposed to do that because I am so sure that's illegal, yet they form a very large crowd, and police didn't surround them. In stead they seemed to be merely observing them, with no attempt to force the crowd to disperse.

Next time you make me walk that long way I will beat up someone.
    Squirrel, you make me sad, I always had a respect for your national pride, despite all pride being what it is, is incredulous. Even your barbs at other nations like America always seemed to be held by a strong frame of ideology which warranted your attitude. But honestly, this thread opening just comes across as a hateful rant. And, I guess what makes me sad is my own assumption that you wont see fit to apologise, so few people truly apologise or correct missteps on the internet, its the biggest weakness of the network.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Just a suspicion, but I think we might have left a few of those wacky 'western' ideals hanging around by accident, like self determination. On the plus side, at least there's somewhere in the world where british rule actually left something positive behind.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Trimmed and emboldened for emphasis.
    For god sake you exactly chose the most important part to edit out.

Central is Hong Kong's CBD, CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT. Do I need to remind you how much western capital is invested in Hong Kong. You may not know it but your ass is also on the line.

And use a google map. Do you consider Central and North Point to be within walking distance? Why not talk Metro you want to ask? What happen if I am in underground when things go south there? I will be dead meat. Thank god Wanchai seemed pacified yesterday afternoon so I could board the subway after finishing my day of work.

I have a hard day yesterday, thanks to those protesters, protesting for something they simply do not deserve. We cannot elect our president so why should we permit them to?!

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Nationalism!

thats not excellent.
    Do you have common sense?! Hong Kong is part of China.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Just a suspicion, but I think we might have left a few of those wacky 'western' ideals hanging around by accident, like self determination. On the plus side, at least there's somewhere in the world where british rule actually left something positive behind.
    Don't make me laugh, British. What have you left those arrogant Kongese? You let them to elect governor during colonial rule? No, governors is not even an appropriate term, those appointed rulers are viceroy. No one ounce of democracy to speak of. And now you left and ask us to grant them democracy. That's no fair game.
    Last edited by squirrel; Today at 11:08 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I have a hard day yesterday, thanks to those protesters, protesting for something they simply do not deserve. We cannot elect our president so why should we permit them to?!
    I'm going to hazard a guess here. The people protesting think they do deserve it, they likely think that being human ought to give you a set of civil rights like voting. It's probably why they're so pissed off.

Oddly most people here think the same thing, that they do deserve it and infact everyone everywhere deserves it.

We cannot elect our president so why should we permit them to?!
    Maybe you should be protesting to be able to elect candidates of your choice too...

And gone for 2 days. Improve or dont come back.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

I'm considering adding Squirrel to my ignore list, I suggest others to do the same if it suits them. I won't do this lightly, I've never blocked anyone here, but honestly Squirrel you sound like the worst kind of Jingoistic bully, like every stereotypical cold war trope of America 'commie' fear wrapped up in threats of what bad things will happen if people don't obey.

It's wretched.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Weird. Never would have figured squirrel for a Party sympathiser.

On the other hand I think the protests are sadly pointless given that as far as the mainland's concerned, yes, Hong Kong is part of China, and what China wants China gets. Who's going to tell them no? If Tienanmen had never happened they've have had the army in by now.

Also I know it's their whole neutrality thing coming out, but the BBC really annoyed me with the "...candidates must be approved by Beijing, and people argue this does not amount to true democracy" schtick. No, anyone with half a brain understands that it's not democracy in any way, shape or form, and that it's pretty much just an amusingly half-assed way for the Party to ensure that pesky peninsula's absorbed back into the motherland sooner rather than later. At least The Economist had the good grace to come out and say it. The unspoken implication China gives a shit what agreements it made with us back at the handover is also highly entertaining.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    squirrel banned
    Wait. What.

Out of interest, what rule did he break?
    Last edited by coldvvvave; Today at 12:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Hmm... That seems dramatic, unless he asked to be cut off as others (Kadayi etc) had. Or its a temporary measure until a higher power can make a judgement.

I found it repugnant but I didn't think it called for a ban.