Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Christmas Presents. What do you want?

What do people really want for christmas? Hopefully it'll give others (me!) a few ideas.

It can be games, books, tech, whisky, experiences, subscriptions or whatever...

But it should be something you really want, not just a massive list of every game this year. Maybe limited to 3-5 per person.

Jokes about world peace will be met with a disappointed glare.

A new pc./10
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Does that mean your going to give me a present? Cool!

Books:
    Ancillary Justice
    Finch
    Embassy Town
    The next several books from Joe Abercrombie

Dvds
    A Field In England
    Mullholland Drive
    12 Years a Slave
    Some Shakespeare films hopefully Richard 3rd

I found this cool shop in the town I am in that does these chocolate libraries all interesting flavours ill probably get that for everyone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Honestly nothing leaping out at me. I'll think on it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Bottle of Bunnahabhain would be nice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    SWAT4 Gold to be release on GoG, then I can run around pistol whipping old ladies with my friends* who don't even have DVD drives any-more.

*And in the game obviously.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

As a totally mature grownup, I'm wishing for a lot of household things this year. Specifically a pizza cutter.
    A gaming mouse of some sort, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy-series, some PS3 games (Ni No Kuni, Journey CE).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Dragon Age (if it’s good) and BBC’s Sherlock. Most of all I want a roast turkey dinner with Christmas crackers containing a joke not from the 1950s. I think I’ll get everything except that last one, Santa’s not a miracle worker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    LEGO set. There's always a room for one more LEGO set.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I want Lego too. I've got an electric train set I reintroduced myself to a couple of years ago now and would love to have more electric track pieces :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    No shame looking at the ages 12+ recommendation eh? Speaking of which, I found a box of another game which said Ages 1-99. Why the cutoff? It seems a bit arbitrary to ban the hundred year olds.

I'm getting a kindle for myself for Xmas. The cheapest one, since I don't really need the backlight of the Paperwhite and they're otherwise identical. Then I'm planning to jailbreak it to add ePub support, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to.
    I considered getting a Fairphone, but I think I'll keep to my pre-smartphone ways, even though my friends hate me for not having Whatsapp.
    I want that board game Rab reviewed last, Tragedy Looper. And then I want enough friends willing to play it with me :3
    I also want a bunch of cheap clothes and accessories from LightintheBox, even if half the times they're not quite as good as the picture.

Honestly though, it's been a couple of years that I haven't really wanted much of anything. And not just because I dislike the concept of Xmas and Xmas presents for a number of reasons, and I buy gifts for my friends all year round whenever I feel like it anyway.
    At the cost of sounding cliche, I've realized I have more than enough, and buying more things won't actually make me any happier in my everyday life, only more spoiled and wasteful. I can spend weeks fantasizing about a better screen, a faster PC, gaming M&K, the latest iphone etc. and it's really easy to get carried away, what with peer pressure and people talking like they're better than you because they have better gear, but if I'm honest with myself I have to admit I don't actually care. What I have is way above "good enough", as long as, e.g. I can play the games I'm interested in.

So, I've come to value different things that, it turns out, do give me more joy. A nice cute diary, a mug with an image I like, a plushie, a piece of clothing that makes me feel nicer. Occasionally, physical copies of movies/music/games, if they have great significance for me.
    And not all of those things either. Another thing I dislike about Xmas is the concentration. I just need a couple of them, and I prefer to spread them throughout the year anyway, so if I feel down I can buy myself a present.

I find it hard to properly explain what the difference in mindset is, but I have definitely noticed my priorities shifting.
    Perhaps I'd say it went from simple possession of things to self-expression through things.
    Last edited by MelodyMeows; 09-11-2014 at 01:03 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It's called getting older Melody. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I forgot about board games:

Cosmic Encounter
    City of Horror
    Dead of Winter
    x-wing core set
    Chinatown
    Resistance expansions
    Masquerade
    Netrunner Packs: True Colours, Double Time, Upstalk, Up and Over

Also yeah just getting presents for sake of presents is not good. Ive become a lot more just wanting stuff and opportunities to hangout with people and have fun.

Space Hulk and a new pair of strides 'cause they wear out in totally uncool places like the seat and the crotch instead of the cool places like the legs which I'm unwilling to help along with scissors 'cause that's false.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Speaking of which, I found a box of another game which said Ages 1-99. Why the cutoff? It seems a bit arbitrary to ban the hundred year olds.
    I always laugh when I see age suggestion on LEGO box and it's like "ages 7-12". I think they're missing a zero in "12".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalk View Post
    Space Hulk and a new pair of strides 'cause they wear out in totally uncool places like the seat and the crotch instead of the cool places like the legs which I'm unwilling to help along with scissors 'cause that's false.
    Deep knee slides.

Not in my house.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    @Melody: "it's been a couple of years that I haven't really wanted much of anything....."

Yeah. Me too. It is indeed called getting older. That's why I started the thread, because on the one hand there's not much I want, but on the other hand I actually love the xmas season. So I always feel like there SHOULD be something really cool that I want... but it's getting harder and harder to think of things.
    (Plus, I tend to be the one paying for my own presents these days :-( )

Hoping for inspiration. Plus I always think of things in late Jan/Feb when it's too late ;-)

My kids shall indeed be getting some lego... which I will of course help them with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    @khaz: Yamazaki Single Malt is on my list. But I don't think I'd actually feel comfortable spending that much on one bottle of alcohol.
    @Spacewalk: Get a skateboard for xmas.