Page 18 of 164 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Dungeons & Dragons. I wonder why the person who wrote the description on the back of the DVD case thought it was a good idea to compare the movie to Starwars: Phantom Menace.
    Because it probably would have been better for both franchises if the movies had not been made? Having said that, me and a friend of mine both still laugh at certain scenes in D&D, although I don't think the humour was intentional.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I saw Super yesterday.

Wow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Labyrinth It's been 15 years since I've seen it and could only remember certain parts, like the helping hands, Ludo and David Bowie. Still an enjoyable movie, aged pretty well besides Jennifer's unpracticed acting ability.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    Watched Heat on Wednesday for the first time. It is really one of the most perfect combinations of heist and gangster films out there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I saw Super yesterday.

Wow.

Super was a great movie,way better then kickass!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Watched Stalker the other day. The film seems to be the work of a self-indulgent director and I fail to see what makes this movie a masterpiece. I do get the idea behind the film, the plot and the cinematography, it's just I don't think there's an depth to it. You spend the majority of the three hours staring at foliage with absolutely nothing happening. I think there are better ways to depict a bleak and desolate environment without making the audience stare at nothingness. The only thing that takes the narrative forward is the sparse dialogue.

Contagion. It was ... competent. I'm not sure it could've been anything more. The premise precludes a human story, and the limitations of film preclude the grand narrative that the written word can aspire to. The filmmaker's did their best to strike a balance, and I wouldn't say that there was actually a better place to land, but the result is not a film that sticks in one's mind.

So here's my unsolicited advice: if you can't do it well, don't do it at all. Narrow the focus and reap the benefits: see The Andromeda Strain and The Road.
    Last edited by Rii; 15-04-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Watched Stalker the other day. The film seems to be the work of a self-indulgent director and I fail to see what makes this movie a masterpiece..
    It's Perestroika movie. Of course its shallow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I liked Stalker there was something vaguely surreal and creepy. Theres one room with the telephone which is just really freaky. Also thought about it a lot after watching it which means it had to be doing something right.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I liked Stalker there was something vaguely surreal and creepy. Theres one room with the telephone which is just really freaky.
    Yea, the atmosphere was great, the use of sepia tones and color for the city and the Zone respectively was a nice touch too. I also like how Tarkovsky made you doubt whether the Zone was real or just one big hoax, like with the scene with the telephone and the tanks. But still, the film felt like an empty canvas, the ideas and thoughts mentioned by the three characters aren't really explored and it feels that all those super-slow camera pans didn't really help in achieving anything other than exasperation from the viewer.
    Also thought about it a lot after watching it which means it had to be doing something right.
    That's kinda how I think of media too and, yea, even though I did ponder on the symbolism and the deeper meaning Takovsky tried to convey with Stalker, I can't figure out anything other than what the characters say and do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Super was a great movie,way better then kickass!
    Super spends far too long setting things up. It's a 90 min movie and we only got to see the costume half an hour in. Kick-Ass was the better movie overall, but Boltie would out-crazy Hit Girl anyday.

I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods, benefits from not knowing anything about it going in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Watched Sherlock Holmes and not impressed at all,the plot was trown all over the place,then you had allot of those slow-motion fight scenes like in first one,few funny scenes,allot of cgi..buuu!

Then i fired up Matrix 1 and i felt better afterwards ^^

I just rewatched Sunshine, still really enjoyable. Even the poor science doesn't ruin it for me which is odd because that's usually something I hate. But still just so tense over the whole course of the movie, a great thriller.

Against my better judgement, I watched Battleship with my family, the other day and it was.... huh. Enjoyable, actually. Nothing like a war movie masterpiece or having a sooo deeep plotline but it's a better B-movie than say, Transformers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Against my better judgement, I watched Battleship with my family, the other day and it was.... huh. Enjoyable, actually. Nothing like a war movie masterpiece or having a sooo deeep plotline but it's a better B-movie than say, Transformers.
    Transformers isn't a B-movie because it wasn't made to suck, unlike movies like Sharktopus and Piranha 3D.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Transformers isn't a B-movie because it wasn't made to suck, unlike movies like Sharktopus and Piranha 3D.
    Yeah. Transformers is art! http://io9.com/5301898/michael-bay-f...e-an-art-movie

I watched Drive last night. Rather enjoyed it, very nicely made and with awesome music. Plot is something we've all seen a bazillion times before though.
    I went in without really knowing anything about it. It did take a sudden turn for the ultra-violent in the final third though, which was a little unexpected.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    The Battle for Marjah, a documentary TV film by HBO on a recent 2010 battle by US Marine to retake the town from Marjah. It basically focuses on the Bravo company of the 6th Regiment which was tasked to drop behind enemy line to take out home of Taliban commanders.

I was so surprised when the company commander, ranked captain, asked his subordinates, mainly privates, to make "a hundred decision" on their own in the battlefield during briefing. It seems to me that a officer that high rank must be so desperate to ask his boys to do so, since they should have been made at least sergeants if they can take care of their own. And theirs was an offensive mission, not a passively defensive one.

It seems US military highly regards such propaganda exercises. I heard that during WWII Ronald Reagan who was enlisted in the US Army was tasked mainly to film for US war propaganda films.
    Last edited by squirrel; 22-04-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Saw Avengers. it was awesome. must see if you liked previous movies.

Waltz with Bashir. Holeeee shit