Page 20 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    The Avengers as well, agree it was awesome and surprisingly funny to be honest, it was probably the most entertaining Marvel movie. The surprising stand out character was the Hulk to be honest.
    That was a surprise, wasn't it? I wasn't expecting anything from Hulk, but they manage to get some laughs without compromising his scary beast side. Even Banner's slight social awkwardness and Stark's odd kinship with him struck me as some of the most real moments of the movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I just rewatched both Hellboy movies,first movie not so true to the comic but still enjoyable,second is quite better.

Waitaminit, I thought the first one was and the second one strayed off a bit from the comics. I prefer the first one, though

The 2003 doco The Corporation. And now I'm comfort eating.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Oh yeah negatives from The Avengers is that it was way to dark in the 3D viewing, there was some scenes where you just could not see what really was going on for a second or two.

Encounters At The End Of The Earth - A beutiful documentry about Antartica and the people who work there both scientists and others. It was full of really bizare and interesting characters. Also very interesting projects that they were doing there, I really wanted to know more about all of them to be honest. Full of absolutly stunning nature landscapes and underwater shots, with Werner Herogs really lovely voice it is definitly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Waitaminit, I thought the first one was and the second one strayed off a bit from the comics. I prefer the first one, though

I meant second was better,and first one was made after first Hellboy volume,but they changed allot of things,thats why i said it wasn't so faithful to the things happening in firs volume and shit. Otherone have entirely new story.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Still though, TBL pales in comparison with Ground Hog Day.
    Yeah? Well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion man.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Started watching The Shining on TV earlier, but I've seen it so many times I wasn't enjoying it. So I watched Chinatown instead. What can I say: I like Jack Nicholson.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I meant second was better,and first one was made after first Hellboy volume,but they changed allot of things,thats why i said it wasn't so faithful to the things happening in firs volume and shit. Otherone have entirely new story.
    The first movie was kinda based on a few other volumes and mashed up together to make a new story, really. Conquerer Worm, The Right Hand of Doom and others I couldn't recall (if any). And yeah, the second was a collab between Mignola himself and Del Toro.

Just watched 21 Jump Street,good movie.

Watching Drive on repeat. The third time I didn't even care anymore about the kid shifting 7 or 8 gears up in a row. But honestly, the first time I was almost expecting Han and Toretto to show up for a quarter-mile race and maybe a quick drift 'round the parking lot ramps.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

The Avengers on Labour Day and hell, you guys ain't kidding! But I have to say, I wasn't too impressed with the big bad of the movie
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

I found Andrew O'Hehir's takedown of The Avengers reasonably entertaining, although the genre (comic-book-film criticism) is in danger of becoming so meta that it disappears up its own ass. It starts out like so:

If you’re new around here, this is how the script goes: I damn "The Avengers" with faint praise, observing that the (supposed) culmination of the long, laborious Marvel Comics movie franchise is a competent but pointless popcorn entertainment that’s being wildly overpraised simply for existing without being incoherent and terrible.

Some readers sniff from behind their digital copies of the Atlantic: Why did you even bother? Others lament that, once again, a non-fan of comic-book movies was sent to review something whose true significance, as with a sacred scroll written in Tocharian B, is yielded only to a coterie of gnostics and believers. (An enormous coterie, in this case.) Someone will invoke the ghost of Pauline Kael to instruct us that movies are meant to entertain, and someone else will suggest that the editors send me back to covering films about lesbian sheepherders made in Azerbaijan.

Well, there just isn’t enough output from Azeri lesbian cinema to keep me busy, so here we all are again.
    However it was Roger Ebert who delivered the film its ultimate burn by disdaining to review it at all.
    Last edited by Rii; 02-05-2012 at 05:05 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I have never been a fan of any superhero except perhaps Batman (1960s and the 90s Animated Series), but I am a collector of thousands of movies, and the technical portion of my brain was fascinating by how well-made The Avengers is. There's no ham-fisted exposition or offensive stereotyping which almost always accompanies a Hollywood blockbuster. They didn't even crowbar a romance in for Black Window! Are they insane? Think of the slack-jawed masses!

The funny thing about John Carter is it bombed in the US apparently because of marketing confusion and sneakily went back on par in the rest of the world. Seemingly a new trend for hollywood blockbusters. I still haven't seen it but planning to.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

It's just okay but the ending was worth it.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Activated Node
    Not ashamed to say I quit O'Hehir's Avenger's piece. I couldn't make it all the way through. There's nothing more annoying than a professional critic who idly self-references. I suppose in his defence it's more of an editorial than a review, but it's just an unimaginative way to go about things.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    the technical portion of my brain was fascinating by how well-made The Avengers is
    So ... it's like Call of Duty?

Yeah, yeah, live and let live. I try, but there was a post about The Avengers in one tab and an entertaining rubishing in the other and, well, I'm only human!

Umm, so in other news the latest Prometheus trailer is pretty awesome. Might be a bit spoilerific for some folks' tastes though.

Last edited by Rii; 02-05-2012 at 09:10 PM.

I stopped watching trailers nowadays,they tend to spoil to much so i get burned usually.

I actually thought The Avengers was great, can't agree more with the people who picked out The Hulk as being a stand out. Don't really get the criticism of comic book films, they have as much of a chance of being genuinely good as any other source material, at least it was infinitely better than trash like Transformers.