Page 22 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I actually really liked Watchmen i thought it told the point of the movie in a filmic way which was quite good. The sex scene is a little bit ridicilous but i can bear it.

Activated Node
    Don't get how people can take V for Vendetta seriously. It's so absurdly heavy handed and one dimensional I thought it was intended to be a send up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    That's Moore's shtick though; he's a deconstructor of notions. V for Vendetta was fairly obvious, but then it carried a clearer message of the two and I thought it was Watchmen that came off worse. (Film versions only here)
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Just saw The Avengers (or 'Marvel Avengers Assemble' as it is stupidly titled here) and was totally floored by it.

First film in a while that I'd actually consider going back to the cinema to see a second time. Really enjoyable.

Also my first experience with this '3D' nonsense. I didn't even realise the film was in 3D until I the moment I bought the tickets, so I had to grudgingly fork over extra cash for the glasses.

I can't say it added much to the experience, as I stopped noticing it after five minutes. I'd rather have watched a non-3D version just to see the film without looking through a grey filter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Just saw The Avengers (or 'Marvel Avengers Assemble' as it is stupidly titled here) and was totally floored by it.

First film in a while that I'd actually consider going back to the cinema to see a second time. Really enjoyable.

Also my first experience with this '3D' nonsense. I didn't even realise the film was in 3D until I the moment I bought the tickets, so I had to grudgingly fork over extra cash for the glasses.

I can't say it added much to the experience, as I stopped noticing it after five minutes. I'd rather have watched a non-3D version just to see the film without looking through a grey filter.
    The fact they force you to watch it in 3D is absurd, it's distracting and it's surely not the 2 extra bucks worth.

But also just seen the Avengers, Amazing, funny jokes and even the dialogues are interesting and funny. The new Bruce Banner is also great.

And that after the credits part blew my mind and am pretty sure the only one in the group who knew who it was.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Ju-on: The Grudge is an awful movie. I re-watched Tale of Two Sisters the other day, and now I want to watch that again just to get the taste of Ju-on out of my mouth.

Why, you ask? For starters, the monster's trademark is the Ol' Dirty Bastard creak... Quite possibly the least terrifying noise in the world to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    And that after the credits part blew my mind and am pretty sure the only one in the group who knew who it was.
    ditto. Especially the last words spoken in the movie and that badass smile after he heard them. such a massive nerdgasm

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    That's Moore's shtick though; he's a deconstructor of notions. V for Vendetta was fairly obvious, but then it carried a clearer message of the two and I thought it was Watchmen that came off worse. (Film versions only here)
    That's how I felt about it too, thought it was awful. The Stephen Fry/Benny Hill moment was just plain embarrassing.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Why are you blaming Moore for something he had no hand in?

Personally, since I've all but stopped watching movies in theaters, I'm currently watching The Bridge on the River Kwai on Turner Classic Movies.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    That's how I felt about it too, thought it was awful. The Stephen Fry/Benny Hill moment was just plain embarrassing.
    I thought it worked well, but obviously it's quite a divisive film. While not in keeping with all the content, I thought it was the more faithful of the two adaptations. I don't know why, I guess something about Watchmen just left me missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Why are you blaming Moore for something he had no hand in?
    I'm not, simply commenting on the fact that of the two films, I personally thought that V was more in keeping with the graphic novel, yet it was the one Moore disowned. Besides, Moore seems quite antagonistic anyhow. I imagine he wouldn't be truly happy with a film version unless it was someone reading out the novel, shown on screen, in real-time.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    yet it was the one Moore disowned. Besides, Moore seems quite antagonistic anyhow. I imagine he wouldn't be truly happy with a film version unless it was someone reading out the novel, shown on screen, in real-time.
    Moore "disowns" all adaptations*, because he feels they can't be adapted. It's not "we should show someone reading the novel," it's "don't fucking bother."

*You can't disown something you never owned. He never had anything to do with any adaptations.
    Last edited by Nalano; 06-05-2012 at 01:48 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Oh? I thought he was just particularly vocal about V and at least consulted with both. Fair enough then, I stand corrected on that front.

That being said, it's a shame he holds that view in a sense. Obviously graphic novels have greater movement than straight up novels, but there's a vibrancy that film does capture and I think arguably can show you a little bit more. I'm not saying everything should ever be adapted, but especially works like those that Moore have done would surely stand to being the better ones for it considering how layered they are.