Page 32 of 116 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Finally, The Princess Bride. A lovely parody of the fantasy/true love story that's fun to watch and very amusing. I can't really think of anything else to say. It's just very fun to watch.
    Might be one of the most quotable movies of all time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    La stella che non c'è (The Star that is Not There) from 2006 by Gianni Amelio about an Italian mechanic who travels to China - and isn't quite prepared for what he encounters. Guided by a Chinese girl who learned Italian because she didn't qualify for a university that taught the 'major languages', he sets out on his trip. It's not the most glamorous depiction of the country, but perhaps precisely because of that, a more impressive one.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Inception- I'm into the last hour and really enjoying it.
    'Your sacrifice completes my sanctuary of a thousand testicles'
    My Steam profile

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    The City Of Lost Children - Well that was visually interesting at least, didn't really get what was going on, I think it was a bit to oblique for its own good, throwing charaters and plot in there. Unfortunately I did watch the dub version which is kind of bad also it has a problem where I cannot understand half the things people are saying because there very garbled. Subtiltes could have been a lot better. There was some really good bits in it, The style of it is fantastic and the idea is quite novel. The main "badguys" are really very interesting especially Mr Baldy who I don't know why but loved every minute he was on screen. Maybe I might appreciate this movie on extra watching.
    Late I know, but yes, you should!
    My Steam profile

Well, I've just finished seeing Inception and I think one of the best films I have ever seen.
    My Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    My take is the lead character Cobb was asleep the whole time. but his guilt-riddled brain refused to accept the world it had created, so it came up with this elaborate fictional redemption plot to get over the tragic death of his wife. The final scene shows Cobb's acceptance.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    John Carter: Boring and drab. Even the alien setting did nothing. Seeing Dominic West again was the only good thing.

Drive: Liked it, decent movie. I really loved the soundtrack, and the plot of the movie being down-to-earth and modest with the action was welcome.

Watched TDKR again with friends, and I really can't understand the acclaim this movie is getting. I would have found it believable that this movie was directed by Michael Bay. There is nothing of the awesome cinematography of TDK, cringe-worthy one-liners and a stupid plot-twist that'll give M Night Shyamalan a bout of diarrhea.

Rewatched Network. I've seen it a thousand times. Love the script, and sadly it feels actual.

Just watched Surviving Life, very good indeed.

Last edited by magnus1969; 03-08-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    My Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Of the Mel Brooks films I've seen, this is probably my least favourite.
    It's no Spaceballs, and it's certainly no Blazing Saddles, but it's still getting away with more shock humor than Adam Sandler managed in his entire career.

Oedipus: "Hey, Josephus!"
    Josephus: "Hey, motherfucker!"
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I went to see Brave yesterday, because if there is one studio which continually disproves my cynical assumption that Hollywood is a soulless monster bent on raking in as much cash as possible by pandering to the lowest common denominator, it's Pixar. After Cars 2, which was enjoyable but disappointingly mediocre, and the somewhat mixed reviews from various critics, I didn't actually have too many expectations for Brave, but now I have to say it might be one of my favourite works from Pixar.

It's definitely not a film without flaws. The pacing in particular feels a little off. It has a great opening scene and the early parts do a good job of properly introducing all important characters and their respective relationships. But once the central plot element is introduced, it sort of falls apart and the middle section feels really disconnected from the rest of the film. The individual scenes work well by themselves, but they fail to create a cohesive structure. And the scene near the end with the tension between the clans could have benefitted from being longer, the resolution there felt a bit too simple considering it's one of the film's main conflicts.

Another problem is the humour. It's not that Brave isn't funny, in fact it might be the funniest Pixar film since The Incredibles, but the funny scenes sometimes clash too strongly with the more dramatic ones. Usually, Pixar is very good about balancing lighearted and emotional moments, but here there were a few scenes towards the end where I felt the dramatic tension was ruined by juxtaposing it with some silly antics. It doesn't help that the villain doesn't actually do much. His design is very well done and the scenes he actually appears in are genuinely frightening, but for the most part he isn't part of the story and only really exists to give the film a sense of urgency it otherwise lacks.

That being said, Brave has all the usual qualities associated with a Pixar production. The animation and art direction is breathtaking at times, Merida's hair alone is a technical achievment. The score is good, though not quite on the same level as Ratatouille or Up, and the comedic timing is flawless most of the time.

But what impressed me most about it were the characters and the way they interact. The villain, the fairy tale elements and the aforementioned tension between the clans only serve as a background for the films central conflict: the relationship between Merida and her mother. And this conflict is handled beautifully. Merida herself is a unique look at the princess stereotype commonly found in animated films and the clichés associated with it and her mother manages to be her complete opposite while still being presented as a reasonable and caring character. It's a film where neither side is shown as being completely right or wrong and ultimately they both develop over the course of the story, learning to respect the other's point of view. The relationship between mother and daughter isn't very commonly depicted in films, so it's great to see Pixar attempt it and it's even better to see them pull it off in a nuanced and complex manner without resorting to simple answers.

Long story short, Brave's story lacks the adventure aspect that most other Pixar films feature, but it makes up for it by being a lot more personal and focused on character development. I feel it's best compared to Ratatouille, both are films with a somewhat smaller scope but with a lot of charm and humour. Definitely go see it if you're a fan of Pixar. And if you're not, how does it feel to be history's greatest monster?

I also saw Ice Age 4 last week. It was entertaining, but not really memorable enough to write any paragraphs about it.

And why is it called Brave anyway? Is it just a reference to Braveheart?

Merida's personality, maybe?
    Art blog here.

Stuffed with pokemon doodles. And arse. Enter at your own risk.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    It's no Spaceballs, and it's certainly no Blazing Saddles, but it's still getting away with more shock humor than Adam Sandler managed in his entire career."
    Funnily enough, the first part to your sentence is almost exactly what I said to my friend who recommended it to me. As for the second part, I think it's probably because Brooks is clever. That being said, I hardly think we'll get any films like Blazing Saddles again because it's just far too on-the-nose for some people, despite that being the whole damn point.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    in fact it might be the funniest Pixar film since The Incredibles
    ...is that possible?? The Incredibles is one of my favourite films, they just nailed everything in that.