Page 50 of 153 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 3045
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Part of me dies inside when people refer to Batman Begins as the first Batman movie.
    That post had been in made in the context of this one:

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I saw Batman Begins yesterday, it is really, really bad. Doesn't even manage to be mediocre, it's just plan bad. I've seen the last five of Nolan's movies, and barring The Dark Knight and Inception, I thought they were utter shit.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I saw "Wreck-it Ralph" today and was pleasantly surprised. I expected a cynical cash-in on nostalgic feelings, but there was a lot of genuine care and attention put into the film. There are some specific video games references (my favourite one being a subtle nod to Sonic Sez), but they're generally not too overt and you don't have to recognize any of them to have a good time. Despite the trailer suggesting it, "Ralph" doesn't really involve real games all that often, it's much more about the concepts of gaming. I've seen it being compared to "Toy Story" a lot, but I'd say it's closer to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", taking the established conventions of an art medium and looking at them through a human filter.

What impressed me the most was the animation. It's not quite as detailed as the works of Pixar, but there was a lot of thought put into the design of the characters and the worlds. Each represented game has its own unique art style and the switch between the real world and the arcade machines was very well done. The 8-bit segments in particular were fantastic. And while the characters aren't especially deep, they're sympathetic enough that you feel with them throughout the entire work. Having a hero of "classic" games working together with a hero of "modern" gaming was a nice touch as well.

If I'd have to criticize, I'd say "Ralph" sort of drags in the middle. The story isn't exactly compelling and I wish they used the game jumping gimmick a bit more. You only really see two worlds and while they are, as mentioned, very well-done, you still get the impression that they could have done a lot more with the premise. I'm just nitpicking though. "Ralph" is well worth watching, even if you aren't an avid gamer. It's no masterpiece by any means, but it's a satisfying way to spend a Friday evening.

I have to say however, my personal highlight of the evening was the short film preceding "Ralph", which I believe was called "Paperman". It's a very simple, but incredibly charming piece of animation and I hope Disney makes use of its art style in a future project.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I watched GO from 90's and its like more fucked up version of hangover,overall better movie then both hangovers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Add Hachi A dog tale..I shread a tear and not only one.. :'(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I watched GO from 90's and its like more fucked up version of hangover,overall better movie then both hangovers.
    Is that the one that was like a crappy US version of Human Traffic? I vaguely remember that one...

I watched the Woman in Black. Not bad, well made, but not sure that what it adds to the stage play/book was really worth adding. Also very strange watching Harry Potter playing a dad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Holy Motors and Martyrs were the last two movies I watched. Neither was really as good as they're hyped up to be, but at least France gets to keep its reputation for making movies that are completely insane.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Indiana Jone...I mean Tintin and The Secret Of The Unicorn - This was a great action movie it is clear that Steven Spielberg wanted to make a better Indiana Jones after number 4 was so terrible. The main character though is a bit bland in this one but thankfully you have Andy Serkis with him making much more entertaining with his drunk sailor character, I do feel that Andy Serkis doesn't get as much recognition as he should do being pretty much in every motion capture movie and always being the best one in them but oh well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Indiana Jone...I mean Tintin and The Secret Of The Unicorn - This was a great action movie it is clear that Steven Spielberg wanted to make a better Indiana Jones after number 4 was so terrible. The main character though is a bit bland in this one but thankfully you have Andy Serkis with him making much more entertaining with his drunk sailor character, I do feel that Andy Serkis doesn't get as much recognition as he should do being pretty much in every motion capture movie and always being the best one in them but oh well.
    Tintin has always been a bit plain, even in the comics.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

I saw The Three Stooges and was very surprised by how much i enjoyed it. i had never planned to watch it but i'm glad i did. The 3 guys that played the stooges did a fantastic job. best impressions i've ever seen. and i am a Three Stooges fan, still watch it on tv occasionally. watched it every night when i was a kid and as a teenager. didn't realize the Farrelly brothers had made this movie till i saw the credits and probably would've watched it sooner had i known that.

watching it got me in the mood for some classic comedy and i also watched A Night in Casablanca which i had never seen but am also a big fan of the Marx brothers. If you've never seen a Marx Brothers movie, i suggest you give one a try...my favorite is A Night at the Opera.
    Lookin' 4 Indie Bundles? We track 'em! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker

Saw The Hobbit today. I actually quite enjoyed it. It's about half an hour too long and has some pacing issues but otherwise it was really enjoyable. It felt like Fellowship of the Ring but without being chained down as a LoTR film it allowed itself to be more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Saw The Hobbit today. I actually quite enjoyed it. It's about half an hour too long and has some pacing issues but otherwise it was really enjoyable. It felt like Fellowship of the Ring but without being chained down as a LoTR film it allowed it's self to be more fun.
    Half an hour too long in a trilogy that's already two movies too long... I think I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Half an hour too long in a trilogy that's already two movies too long... I think I'll pass.
    I went in with exactly the same attitude and was pleasantly surprised. Though part 1 seems to end about halfway through the book, so yeh not sure exactly what will happen in part 2 and 3. Probably 90 minute long battle sequence for the battle of five armies. :p

Did you see it in 48fps or play it safe? I'm worried that a time will come when 48fps becomes the standard and our children turn into those whiny framerate sticklers you see on certain PC forums.

Did you see it in 48fps or play it safe? I'm worried that a time will come when 48fps becomes the standard and our children turn into those whiny framerate sticklers you see on certain PC forums.
    I'm not sure, I saw it in 2d as I usually find 3d distracting. Is it just 48fps in 3d?

My local cinema is a bit shitty so I'm guessing 24 fps.
    Last edited by duff; 14-12-2012 at 03:07 AM.

I went to my local cinema, expecting little from The Hobbit but wow. Just wow. 3+ hours long but all I can say is Peter Jackson's pretty good with pacing. And I wouldn't say it's dragged on, considering the size of the book itself. It's a bit less... morbid than LotR and more of a fun, simple adventure involving dwarves, a wizard and a Hobbit through New Zealand/Middle-Earth. I'll be looking forward to the sequel if they're making one. That mountain giant battle was amazing but it's a bit odd that it seems that it's all in slow-mo

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    I'm not sure, I saw it in 2d as I usually find 3d distracting. Is it just 48fps in 3d?

My local cinema is a bit shitty so I'm guessing 24 fps.
    I watched it in 3d yesterday. Not really impressed with the effects but I don't think the fps are any faster. That said, the cinema at my place is kinda shitty as well.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    It's a bit less... morbid than LotR and more of a fun, simple adventure involving dwarves...
    I didn't realise what a massive Tolkien fan Colbert was until I saw him interviewing Jackson last week. Basically Tolkien had planned on rewriting The Hobbit so it would not be considered a children's book (and more broadly for philosophical or philological reasons I think - can't remember - watch the interview and you'll see what I mean). Apparently the appendices to LoTR or The Hobbit are the beginnings of that rewrite.

So if indeed it is a cheerier film we can all thank Tolkien for dying?

I actually have no idea whether they're providing separate framerates for 2D showings, but there are only a limited number of theaters doing "HFR 3D". For all the fuss that Peter Jackson made over the superiority of the format (I don't see why enhanced realism or better 3D are considered improvements to the realm of film) they're doing a terrible idea of informing people what they're seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by baby snot View Post
    I didn't realise what a massive Tolkien fan Colbert was until I saw him interviewing Jackson last week. Basically Tolkien had planned on rewriting The Hobbit so it would not be considered a children's book (and more broadly for philosophical or philological reasons I think - can't remember - watch the interview and you'll see what I mean). Apparently the appendices to LoTR or The Hobbit are the beginnings of that rewrite.

So if indeed it is a cheerier film we can all thank Tolkien for dying?
    I wouldn't say cheerier, but a bit simpler than LotR. It's easier to follow and it was straightforward. It did cut back a bit on that overall seriousness in LotR.
    Last edited by Voon; 14-12-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I actually have no idea whether they're providing separate framerates for 2D showings, but there are only a limited number of theaters doing "HFR 3D". For all the fuss that Peter Jackson made over the superiority of the format (I don't see why enhanced realism or better 3D are considered improvements to the realm of film) they're doing a terrible idea of informing people what they're seeing.
    In my local cinema there's 3 versions being shown and each one is made clear as to what you're seeing.

HFR 3D, 3D, 2D. When you look at the timetable each is listed as what you get and it's printed on the ticket. It's up to the cinema to inform people what they're seeing.