Page 58 of 143 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 2859
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    Watched Headhunters last night, been on my list ever since it came out. Not what I was expecting but a very well made thriller nonetheless that really took me by surprise with the sudden shift into lethal danger. Watching the carefully controlled (but entirely hollow) life of the protagonist rapidly dissolve into desperate acts of survival and terror was a fun journey, and all of it within less than 2 hours of running time. Which was refreshing itself after watching Hobbit and Django Unchained, sometimes it's nice to watch a movie and do other things in the same evening... Anyway, highly recommend Headhunters. It's easy to see how they cast Jaime Lannister in GoT after watching this movie, though hopefully the actor will have a wider range than murderously intent/smug and satisfied for when the series gets around to showcasing him again.
    You should check out Kill List. It clocks in at a blistering 90 minutes and crams in several massive tonal shifts. The director noted that portions of the movie come straight out of his own nightmares, so it's fitting that the movie is at times bewildering and somewhat ambiguous. It's a marvel of microbudget filmmaking, and an incredible effort for a sophomore director. Fair warning, though: if you don't have an iron stomach, you might spend the rest of that evening curled in a fetal position.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Moonrise Kingdom ​- Kind of sweet and heart-warming I have to say, a film about two trouble young kids going out on adventure while the adults try to find them. The kids storyline is really great being both sweet and touching and pretty relatable making you think how you were that age. The cinematography is absolutely beautiful and perfect, though again with Anderson its to perfect making it feel kind of fake. The weirdness does kind of serve a purpose like the character getting struck by lighting makes the visual metaphor later on about a kiss feeling like electricity work. Also the characters are quirky but again very relatable, with the messiness of the adults serving to show that really the adults can't say anything about the kids. have to say the group f kids were probably the best character, and Bruce Willis again being surprising in his role. Yes it knows its a movie by having a very "neat" end but I thought it went with the film.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    You should check out Kill List. It clocks in at a blistering 90 minutes and crams in several massive tonal shifts. The director noted that portions of the movie come straight out of his own nightmares, so it's fitting that the movie is at times bewildering and somewhat ambiguous. It's a marvel of microbudget filmmaking, and an incredible effort for a sophomore director. Fair warning, though: if you don't have an iron stomach, you might spend the rest of that evening curled in a fetal position.
    I think if you go back a dozen pages you'll see a similar write up from myself :) Kill List was dead good. It's obliqueness was compelling even if a little frustrating. I was hooked from the first "Thank you" and so, so freaked out by the end... 3am was the best time to watch it I feel.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    I suspect GOT found him first since it premiered before Headhunters, but yeah, excellent movie.
    Ah I assumed it was out in Norway aaaaggeeess before it found its way anywhere near here, my bad.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I went to see Django Unchained and I enjoyed it. I think? It definitely felt like a film that prefers style over substance, but then the same criticism could be made of both the spaghetti westerns that inspired it and Tarantino's work in general. In fact, in many ways Django is the quintessential Tarantino film. Visually impressive and featuring some memorable characters and quotes, but also incredibly brutal, a bit long-winded and at times rather self-indulgent.

What made it stand out for me are the fantastic performances by the actors. There's a great chemistry between Jamie Foxx and Christopher Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio is visibly enjoying himself throughout. But by far the apex was Samuel L. Jackson playing a really unexpected part. He perfectly conveys the duality of his character who's a submissive servant yet also by far the smartest man in the household, a member of the black race yet also compliant in its suppression and a physical weakling yet also a dominating presence. It's a shame he didn't receive an Oscar nomination for his efforts as he has never been better.

Of course it's difficult to talk about the film without simultaneously discussing its slavery subtext, but at the same time I don’t think I’m really qualified to analyze that. As an European, I probably lack the necessary cultural understanding to place the film in an appropriate social context. Suffice to say the depiction of slavery and racial relations didn't bother me personally, but I can why it might be considered problematic.

Overall I’d say Django Unchained is well worth watching. If you can stomach the excessive and quite often gratuitous violence and you don't have a problem with the subject matter then you'll find solid entertainment. It's not a film I have any inclination towards rewatching, but it's not a film I regret seeing either.

Punch-Drunk Love. Weird movie and even after the movie, I have no idea what the harmonium has to do with the movie right from the beginning. It's a sweet movie, though and occasionally hilarious.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

The Tree Of Life ​- A very visually stunning movie, but it has very little dialogue(though a lot of narration) so it expects you to figure out what the visuals are telling you. It is a very beautiful movie that on the surface is about people remembering growing up with a boy who has just died but is about so much more then that. It has the universe and the world and life being created and death and heaven at the end. It sometimes would just throw images at you and not explain them, it definitely needs a few watches to understand it all. The ending is probably my favourite bit of it though being genuinely moving in showing you various images of death and what may happen after you die. Full of symbolism this is probably not to everyone's taste since it is quite slow but if you accept its charms I think you will love it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Wreck it Ralph

Because it's not out in most of europe yet (got to see it in an advanced screening. It was everything I wanted and more. Sarah Silverman managed to not annoy me. I am amazed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Is Ralph a cheap replacement for Donkey Kong because they weren't allowed to use his likenesses in the movie? Because that's the impression I got from the trailer.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

No not really. I can see were comparisons can be drawn when you look at his game, but apart from that just not at all.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Wreck it Ralph

Because it's not out in most of europe yet (got to see it in an advanced screening.
    I was surprised to read this, because I saw Ralph some time in early December and we usually get films later than the UK. However, looking at IMDB indeed confirms that it hasn't been released in many European countries and won't be until February. Do you know what the reason for this delay is? It obviously can't be translation issues.

Have no clue to be quiet honest with you.

It was out in the states a month or two ago but for some reason we in euroland have had to wait until now. Movie production companies would do well to stop using oceans as release date blocks though.

Going to see Django on Sunday, another movie I've had to guard myself from spoiling because it's been released for nearly a month now in the US and a week over here.

Don't know why it is but it seems a lot of Disney animation films get delayed, it happened with UP, Toy Story 3, Brave and The muppets and is happening with Wreck It ralph.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Sexy Beast: I could watch Ray Winstone write long, heartfelt thank-you notes for 12 hours and still be entertained. I watched this movie when I was in middle school and thought Guy Ritchie was a cinematic genius and didn't think much of it. I was a fool.

Today Dark Knight Rises :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Not watching, but for anyone not aware J.J Abrams is directing Star Wars VII
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I can already see the lens flare.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Didn't he make Star Wars VII already with Star Trek?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Didn't he make Star Wars VII already with Star Trek?
    That was his pitch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Star Trek was awesome movie,i think he can do it :D