Page 61 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2762
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The voice of King Candy was also a surprise to me. And I don't like Sarah Silverman but she was ok in this role. I've never found her funny, but her voice works for the character.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Just got out of watching Wreck-It Ralph.
    This is the most cynical example of outdated product placement since Toy Story! Such evil brainwashing on our little kids!
    erm... yeah

I'll be honest, I felt uncomfortable watching this. I thought I'd get a nice nostalgia trip from the trailer but all I saw was a 3rd grader's version of an adventure epic: some lonely big guy goes on an adventure to win a shiny medal, but finds friends instead. Yeah!
    The humor is aimed at 3-6 year olds, there's absolutely nothing in it for a grown up - unless you are a professional animator or something.

I liked the credits though, they got the pixel art and low-res 3D CGI just right. Huge nostalgia overload there.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    Just got out of watching Wreck-It Ralph.
    This is the most cynical example of outdated product placement since Toy Story! Such evil brainwashing on our little kids!
    erm... yeah

I'll be honest, I felt uncomfortable watching this. I thought I'd get a nice nostalgia trip from the trailer but all I saw was a 3rd grader's version of an adventure epic: some lonely big guy goes on an adventure to win a shiny medal, but finds friends instead. Yeah!
    The humor is aimed at 3-6 year olds, there's absolutely nothing in it for a grown up - unless you are a professional animator or something.

I liked the credits though, they got the pixel art and low-res 3D CGI just right. Huge nostalgia overload there.
    Children's Movies: Not just for 30 year old neckbeards anymore!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Anyone have any recommendations for something decent on Netflix streaming? I just re-upped for the free month. So far I've watched The Grey, which was sort of a dud, and MI: Ghost Protocol, which was exactly what I thought it would be.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Netflix has a ton of excellent films. Is there any particular genre that interests you?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'll watch just about anything. Give me anything on there you liked.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Well, just taking a cursory look there's:

Bicycle Thieves
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Ghandi
    The Graduate
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Groundhog Day
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    Man of La Mancha
    Metropolis
    Monty Python's the Meaning of Life
    The Naked Gun
    Nightmare before Christmase
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    The Pianist
    Ran
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    True Grit
    The Untouchables

All films I can heartily recommend.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Well, just taking a cursory look there's:

Bicycle Thieves
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Ghandi
    The Graduate
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Groundhog Day
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    Man of La Mancha
    Metropolis
    Monty Python's the Meaning of Life
    The Naked Gun
    Nightmare before Christmase
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    The Pianist
    Ran
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    True Grit
    The Untouchables

All films I can heartily recommend.
    What, all at the same time?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I forgot to mention that I already watched True Grit the other day. It was good. Not to sound like a hipster, but I liked the original better. Jeff Bridges was great though. Anyhow, thanks for the recommendations.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    I always, always cringe when an adult uses the word grown-up in a serious manner.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    What, all at the same time?
    You could do that. Though you'd probably get the same experience watching Eraserhead.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations for something decent on Netflix streaming?
    And if you don't like musicals:
    -13 Assassins
    -Tremors
    -Doomsday Book
    -The Long Goodbye
    -The Thing
    -The Trip
    -Dial M For Murder
    -Being John Malkovich
    -Re-Animator
    -The Baader Meinhof Complex
    -Memento
    -Videodrome
    -Trainspotting
    -The Ambassador
    -The Red Balloon

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations for something decent on Netflix streaming?
    I always recommend Avatar: The Last Airbender (the series not the godawful movie) to everyone with Netflix. So I'm not about to break tradition here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Wreck It Ralph - I quite liked it I do have to agree the humour isn't really all that much and I think it kind of is more aimed at younger kids then the older or adult ones but there are a few laughs in it. I think its more of a character film and for that it does it pretty well you do care about the characters and what happens to them, and there are a few emotional moments in there that put a tear in your eyes. The video game references are cool I wish there was maybe a little but more of that humour but oh well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Side Effects - it was quite good considering I had zero foreknowledge about it. If you like thrillers I say give it a shot.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    I just watched Primer again. I'm now going to watch it once more with Sam Hughes' commentary, as he's the only person whose explanation of the film has come close to making sense.

Usually I scoff at people who say a film was difficult to follow - Inception? Pah. Cloud Atlas? Meh. Primer, on the other hand...
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 20-02-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: i spel bad
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    I just watched Primer again. I'm now going to watch it once more with Sam Hughes' commentary, as he's the only person who's explanation of the film has come close to making sense.

Usually I scoff at people who say a film was difficult to follow - Inception? Pah. Cloud Atlas? Meh. Primer, on the other had...
    Sam Hughes' essay on Primer is brilliant, and even after watching the movie numerous times gave me insight into subtleties I hadn't picked up on before. Ben Wheatley has some very interesting comments on the notion of ambiguity in film. While Primer is obviously not a straight horror film, there are some very dark themes and I think that a lot of what he says translates well.

I hear Upstream Color is absolutely astounding, by the way. I haven't been as excited for an upcoming film... Well, since The Master, but these are the greatest two American directors still living as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by sabrage; 20-02-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Just finished watching Drive. Wow, not what I expected at all. I felt that this movie, while it hits a lot of things right in a lot of places, it seems it could do a lot more with action. I know this is more like a crime drama than a badass action flick but if they could just focus a little more on that aspect, maybe it could've been better. OTOH, the writing was great. Interesting enough to see what happens after each scene and it's hard not to symphathise the characters, even the minor roles. Perlman was great as always. And God, I wish I have the soundtrack from this movie.

I like it. It's just a bit underwhelming, is all. Sorta like my feelings after watching Dredd
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

woah, double post
    Last edited by Voon; 20-02-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    And God, I wish I have the soundtrack from this movie.
    Mmm, Chromatics:

I had some issues with the movie when I saw it too, but it's been too long for me to really comment on it.