Page 65 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 2884
    I saw Oz yesterday and it was much less twisty/dark than the trailer made it out to be; I really hoped for some (new) Charlie and Chocolate Factory's level of sublime dark undertones. Definitely felt a bit more like a kids movie and a standard hero's journey and transformation, particularly in the first hour that kinda dragged (the second hour was much better, if tad predictable).

Also felt like it did many of those stagy, almost amateurish things as tribute to the original. But I wish they did more "clever" tie-ins and explanations of the original story's lore, I was again hoping for something to the level of the amazing Wicked, which did a much better job of re-imagining the story and bringing numerous "a-ha!" moments. The characters were also pretty one dimensional, a real pity and lost opportunity especially with Theodora (Mila Kunis). Lots of interesting stuff that could have been done with her...

Well, it's a Disney movie, so I guess I should have expected all this; somehow trailer made me think it would be more of a dark Charlie&Chocolate factory meets Wicked.

Especially as we know the ending, we just have to work out how we'll get there.

Well Like I said, Wicked shows how that neednt be a "problem" and you can do a lot to keep canon consistent while still twisting the story in a unique direction.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I've been doing this for all his posts, but could others please make sure to report Mr.rickymartin66 for his spamming posts in here?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I've been doing this for all his posts, but could others please make sure to report Mr.rickymartin66 for his spamming posts in here?
    Report him for his name, its far more horrible than the spam.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    When talking of Wicked, do you mean the Musical or the Book, as I found the two to have almost nothing in common.

I enjoyed Wicked(s) quite a lot, but I'm not sure the musical (too silly) or the book (too depressing) would make that good a movie. I think the Oz story was actually probably a better idea for a movie, I just feel like they didn't quite have enough time to develop all the characters (Oz + 3 witches + 2 sidekicks + rather unsubtle kansas equivalents).

I didn't find it slow or boring, just not really fleshed out enough. More on the Theodora storyline in particular would have been worth it. There also seemed hints at some other storyline between the 2 sisters in the city, which didn't seem to go anywhere. I have a slight feeling that a lot of stuff ended up on the cutting room floor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar

Well then. I think that's enough seconds to provoke excitement.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I started watching Pianist for the first time,good so far,didn't finished it yet btw.

Star Trek - Into Darkness - International Trailer (Extended)

In lieu of the above Riddick trailer, I introduced a friend to Pitch Black. Outside of some occasionally spotty CG, it holds up really well and it's still a great film. There are a few minor flaws, but it's otherwise completely solid. Riddick is a fantastic character and one of the rare cases where a protagonist is nowhere near being a good guy, not at all. Most of the characterisation is good, too. All round, solidly recommend it to all those interested.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Just got home semi-drunk, to sober up I decided to watch the incredible Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus. I didn't know they still make movies this bad. Awesome!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    Just got home semi-drunk, to sober up I decided to watch the incredible Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus. I didn't know they still make movies this bad. Awesome!
    Starring Urkel!
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Rubber: This is attempt #8 to write a capsule review on Rubber, in so many minutes. That's because Rubber is fucking odd. Rubber is wholly an entity unto itself. Rubber almost robbed me of the vocabulary by which film is weighted. What really struck me was how cannily Quentin Dupleaux was able to anticipate how his audience was going to react to his film, and, without giving too much away, incorporated it right along with the narrative, like, "This is why you're here, this is why the tire is here, this is where they start getting bored, this is where I'll lose 90% of the audience." It managed to subvert my expectations while still delivering exactly what was promised. This is a movie about a tire that goes around blowing up people's heads la Scanners. It's also at least on par with Cabin in the Woods, in terms of commentary, although unfortunately Rubber isn't nearly as fun as it could have been. It'd be the least pretentious arthouse film ever made if it didn't feel like the director was laughing at us behind his hand the whole time. Still, if your taste runs equal parts Roger Corman and Charlie Kaufman, you could probably do a lot worse.

I'm one of those 90%ers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I'm one of those 90%ers.
    I thought that was brilliant, though, because right as I'm thinking what a boring piece of shit the movie was, the director walks in the room, pats you on the head and reassures you that you're not alone. It raises Rubber from a goofy oddity to something more in line with Cronenberg or Tarantino.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Seven Psychopaths,i really liked it. Thats it,my review.

Network Hub
    I finally got ahold of a DVD of Bon Cop, Bad Cop. Aaaaaw yeeah. What a classic.

Blasphemy.

The Daily Mash, the British The Onion. I've only seen The Goonies the once and I don't think I was paying particularly amazing attention at the time, but it seemed like a fun film. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last week I got round to finally watching Kick Ass. What can I say? It was rather very good. I absolutely loved the style and the ridiculousness paired with the dissonance of reality and action. The violence was amazing/hilarious and all round I thought it didn't really put a step wrong. I enjoyed also how in a similar manner to The Incredibles, it took apart the notions of what it means to be a super hero, but then builds it up again with aplomb. Not saying it's better than The Incredibles, mind, but still. There was one thing I thought was particularly odd though; Dave (aka Kick Ass) was a pretty restrained guy, whatever. So he follows on the lie he made to Love Interest Girl to the extent that it allows him to put his hands all over her body in one scene. Now both characters aren't exactly of the greatest intelligence, but I thought it was really screwed that neither he thought "Wait now, this is pretty screwed" or she later didn't even bring it up. Perhaps it speaks wonders of my mind that the violence, in its absolutely gore, didn't phase me but that one quick scene made me question how that was at all right. Ha!

Anyhow, line-up the sequel, ta.