Page 66 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 3358
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I gave 'Black Death' a look see after someone mentioned it in the TV thread. Not a bad film overall with some decent performances, but it's hard to say what it was trying to convey beyond the fact that the 14th century was a grim old time and most people were largely unhinged in some way or another.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    My girl and I got a kick out of watching Hysteria last night; now I'm going to have to get a pair of goggles.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Coriolanus which is a very good modern adaptation of the shakespeare play that I don't think I have heard of. Its not stuffy or static like some adaptations, they use his language like conversation and they do the action like an action film which is good. I really think the story is captivating and Ralph Fiennes is very good and can do intense very well with his three dimensional title character, the rest does very well in there roles. It makes me want to see other stories of shakespeare done in this way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    21st Jumpstreet and Argo.

Argo began good and then cliché'ed the hell out of tension scenes, stretching tensions scenes to a point where it was annoying and stretching just for the sake of stretching. They make not make it in time, good they're in the bus, wait, the bus won't start., oh now it does. just in time.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Seen a few movies recently, namely Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, which tells the story of a couple (Ethan Hawke, and Julia Delpy) who meet and spend a night together, and then their subsequent meeting 9 years later.

The movies were fairly charming, but some of the dialog is a bit out there in a way as I couldn't imagine ever having a conversation with someone that would bring up the kind of deeply philosophical discussion that it did in the movie. Otherwise I'm looking forward to seeing how their story continues in the next movie, which I think is coming out this year.

Also saw Gattaca recently, and found it be as excellent as everyone says. One thing about the ending did bother me though: [spoiler?] Why does Jude Laws character decide to commit suicide, rather than actually travel as he said he would? just seemed a bit melodramatic to me. [/end spoiler].

And I caught Seven Psychopaths as well, which was far funnier than I was expecting, and was otherwise very uh, unusual?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    The movies were fairly charming, but some of the dialog is a bit out there in a way as I couldn't imagine ever having a conversation with someone that would bring up the kind of deeply philosophical discussion that it did in the movie. Otherwise I'm looking forward to seeing how their story continues in the next movie, which I think is coming out this year.
    Have you seen Waking Life? I think you'd hate it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Also saw Gattaca recently, and found it be as excellent as everyone says. One thing about the ending did bother me though: [spoiler?] Why does Jude Laws character decide to commit suicide, rather than actually travel as he said he would? just seemed a bit melodramatic to me. [/end spoiler].
    [Spoiler]He had suicidal tendencies. He was in the wheelchair because his previous attempt, to get run over, failed. This was spurred from the fact that despite he had desirable genes, he only came second place in that athletic event (it's why the silver medal is so prominent, because he has it to remember his failure). With the other guy taking his place, including his name, his legacy would be that he became an astronaut on an important flight and would go on to do notable things. His name, therefore, would be fine. This allowed him to die happy because at least he was successful this time.[/spoiler]
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Have you seen Waking Life? I think you'd hate it.
    I have it sitting around, and did make an attempt the other night, but I decided after about 10 minutes that I really wasn't in the mood for it. I hope to get back to it and give it a decent shot though. What makes you think I would hate it?

@The JG Man
    That makes sense, I just never really got the impression from the character that that was how he felt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I have it sitting around, and did make an attempt the other night, but I decided after about 10 minutes that I really wasn't in the mood for it. I hope to get back to it and give it a decent shot though. What makes you think I would hate it?
    Based on what you said here:
    some of the dialog is a bit out there in a way as I couldn't imagine ever having a conversation with someone that would bring up the kind of deeply philosophical discussion that it did in the movie.
    Now, imagine the entire movie is like that. There's even got a scene with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy! It really is an exhausting work, even if you do find the themes relatable, as there's almost no narrative backbone. I'm not sure how else Linklater could have compressed his ideas into a film though. I suggest watching it in pieces.

I haven't really met anyone in the "middle ground" on Waking Life. It's a fairly polarizing film.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar

@The JG Man
    That makes sense, I just never really got the impression from the character that that was how he felt.
    It's played down from the main plot, but does tie in with the main themes. If you're able to re-watch it, pay particular attention to the scene where [spoiler]he comes in drunk and has to be carried to the bed. I'm sure it's there where he mentions he wanted to get hit by the car[/spoiler]. When put together with a few other things, it starts to make sense. You do have to jump to a few things, but I think it does a great job of highlighting that world is even crappier than it is already pictured!