Page 69 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 2891
    Drive. I am now deeply afraid of elevators.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I just stumbled upon some bizzare pictures from the set of Jupiter Ascending, next summer's Wachowski movie.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Sabrage's Mind Fuck Top Whatever:
    -The Holy Mountain
    -Kill List
    -Possession
    (1981)
    -Oldboy
    -12 Monkeys
    -Videodrome
    -Mulholland Drive
    -2001: A Space Odyssey
    -Memento
    -Primer
    -Altered States
    -The Exterminating Angel
    -Funny Games
    Oooh I've seen most of these, but a few new things I'll need to check out, thanks for the list!

Surprised to see The Exterminating Angel since it is such an old movie, but it's actually one of my favorites and well fitting the "mess-with-your-head" category.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    Oooh I've seen most of these, but a few new things I'll need to check out, thanks for the list!

Surprised to see The Exterminating Angel since it is such an old movie, but it's actually one of my favorites and well fitting the "mess-with-your-head" category.
    The Exterminating Angel is one of the finest films ever made. I like movies that could easily be (or were) stage plays, like 44 Inch Chest and 12 Angry Men. A lot of people complain about that for some reason, but I enjoy the intimacy it lends.

Have you seen The Game? It plays out very similar to Vanilla Sky, right down to the disappointing reveal. Looking back at that list, I did pick a lot of pretty obvious movies. I was just reading off the top of my "movies I liked" list. Some more obscure oddities:
    -Wrong
    -Detention
    -Timecrimes
    -Sexy Beast
    -The Master
    (Not obscure, perhaps, but nowhere near enough people have seen it)
    -Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
    -A Zed and Two Noughts
    -Waltz With Bashir
    (if you've read and liked The Things They Carried, a lot like that)
    -Paprika

I'm catching Shane Carruth's Upstream Color with my sister in NYC next weekend, so I'll let you know how that goes. My expectations are through the roof, but if it's anything like I've heard I don't think I'll be disappointed.

-Waltz With Bashir (if you've read and liked The Things They Carried, a lot like that)
    Oh, I liked this one (and the comic book adaptation which was pretty decent as well). I think, of all war movies I've watched, nothing comes close to this one to show how fucked up war can really be. And yeah, the movie can get a little trippy when Ari tries to unlock his memories, how traumatised he was in Lebanon.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Oh, I liked this one (and the comic book adaptation which was pretty decent as well). I think, of all war movies I've watched, nothing comes close to this one to show how fucked up war can really be. And yeah, the movie can get a little trippy when Ari tries to unlock his memories, how traumatised he was in Lebanon.
    I liked both the animation and the book but somehow I couldn't help feeling that we were seeing the suffering and POV of what in the end was the aggressor. Not to diminish the anti-war theme of the movie, but I would have liked to see the other side as well...

I watched the Quartet, Hoffman was director, quite nice and strong performances all around, full of music, even if it's only classical music. Also, the Place beyond the Pines is really good, I liked it a lot better than Drive. Only bad thing is I got a certain Springsteen song stuck in my head now.
    Last edited by kataras; 07-05-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kataras View Post
    I liked both the animation and the book but somehow I couldn't help feeling that we were seeing the suffering and POV of what in the end was the aggressor. Not to diminish the anti-war theme of the movie, but I would have liked to see the other side as well....
    Not to absolve the soldiers of guilt, but service in the IDF is mandatory.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Not to absolve the soldiers of guilt, but service in the IDF is mandatory.
    True, although there are quite a few who refuse to join the army on various religious or political grounds.

I just watched Silent Hill Revelations and it was... pretty bad. I loved the original, but this one was very disappointing. My biggest gripe is the terrible pacing - too many plot elements that could have used more exposition, the really forced and frankly unnecessary romantic element, and few shots that should have lingered just a tad bit more to build up the atmosphere. Everything just felt too rushed, squeezing too many elements in. On the upside, the acting was great (particularly from name actors) and I loved the monster design (though that's mainly from the game).
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

I did watch Rollerball earlier today. The 1975 original, not the terrible 2002 remake. It certainly didn't age too well. Besides from everything looking incredibly 70s, the plot revolves around the idea that corporations effectively replace elected governments and the Rollerball game was designed to show the futility of individual effort. They even say it out loud in the movie. It's supposed to be dystopian. From a modern perspective this seems just bizarre seeing as corporations these days do pretty much the opposite.
    Overall it's not a great movie and really more interesting as a historical artifact to see what (some) people were afraid of back in the day. Otherwise there is nothing special about it.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Went to a midnight showing of Star Trek:Into Darkness. It's a really great and fun movie. Now with about 20% less lens flare. It was part of a double bill of JJ.Abrams remake and the sequel so it was easy to compare them. This is better than the first.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I agree, Star Trek Into Darkness was great.

Lots of lens flare though. Especially during a particularly dramatic/emotional scene.

Ben Wheatley is some sort of mad genius of filmmaking. Sightseers is fantastic. Hilarious, gorgeous, original and one of the best uses of a licensed soundtrack since Trainspotting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Watched Tokyo Park (東京公園) the other day. The premise seemed interesting: a student street photographer is approached by a man who offers him serious cash to take photos of a woman. He is reluctant to explain why, but keeps feeding the student information on where she'll be. However, the film itself was decidedly not. After the promising introduction, the focus quickly shifted to the love life of the main character and the aftermath of his room-mate's death. What seemed to become the main story then fizzles out without much further ado. Not recommended.

"He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Now with about 20% less lens flare. // This is better than the first.
    All I needed to know!

So today I watched a few films. I had yet to see The Avengers or any of the lead-in films (excluding Iron Man 1) and I had the TV to myself today. The inevitable happened. Knowing that some previous film viewing had to be done...

Thor is pretty great. It got very cheesy at times, but it was hard to really be annoyed with that when the main character is a demi-god and everyone is made of awesome. Guy who watches over the means of teleporting to other realms? Awesome. Odin? Awesome (although I would love to have seen what Brian Blessed would've done). The CG team? Awesome. I liked the fact that Thor was a fish out of water. I liked that the action had real weight to it. That whilst it took itself seriously, it never took itself too seriously. Does it beat X-Men 2? No, but that's no mean feat.

Iron Man 2 I had some reservations about as some people said it wasn't as good as 1 or just generally was a bit flat. I was surprised then when I came to watch it and found it thoroughly enjoyable, from start to finish. Like Thor, I thought this was also really great. The conversational and personal touches to the dialogue were really amusing and endearing, whilst I was surprised that a film with such quick-cut action was remarkably easy to follow what was going on (Michael Bay, take note). It did seem a wane a little in its middle act - the SHIELD stuff just seemed to drag for me for a little bit - although I never looked at the time or wondered when it moved on. About the same overall as Thor, albeit for different reasons.

I didn't elect to watch Captain America as I'd heard not very good things; whilst I'm prepared to give certain films a go, no-one ever suggested to me that CA was necessary for actually watching The Avengers. In fact, Avengers seemed to think that too considering it seemed to take the most important elements out of that film and present it in about 10 seconds of footage and a few off-handed remarks. Haven't seen the latest Hulk film because...well, it wasn't exactly setting the world alight. Incidentally, I did see the one that came out previously to it which, while definitely not great, was certainly enjoyable. Anyhow...

I was surprised, at the end of The Avengers, just how blown away my expectations were. All these good things people had told me about and it still managed to floor me. As a film in its own right, let alone it being a superhero film, it was absolutely fantastic. Dialogue was excellent, action was superb, pacing was spot-on and The Hulk was...was...fucking amazing! A sentence I was not expecting to say. Even Captain America let me with a positive feeling about him. All of the team worked incredibly well and it's a clear and obvious credit to Joss Whedon, who quite obviously loves superheroes and the mythos behind them, that he was able to craft such an excellent film. Better than X-Men 2? Unquestionably.

I could list all my favourite moments from that film, but I'll spare this turning into an essay the same length as that which I've written already. Sufficed to say, I might try and sneak in and watch Iron Man 3 now before it stops being shown on the cinema and I eagerly await the next Avengers film. Also, I know I mentioned it before when discussion Thor, but the CG in all three films was really something else altogether. The completely foreign and alien environments of Thor were totally sold.

It's been a good day for films.