Page 70 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 3034
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    If you liked Thor so much, you'll like Captain America. The Incredible Hulk is weaker but it's not bad at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Nah I wouldn't agree with that. I liked Thor, I liked Captain America. I read into the comics too so I had some fun seeing all the little bits and references, but I can easily say that Captain America is a weaker movie.

Thor has action and comedy in a very good balance. Captain America falls very short on the comedy part. There are some funny moments, but not nearly as many nor done nearly as well.

I would still recommend watching Cap, it's still a good movie. You're certainly not missing anything in The Avengers for having not watched Cap though. He's pretty much summed up in his opening scene of being a man out of time.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    You should watch Captain America, I'm not a massive fan of him either, but the film is pretty fun to watch. As Jesus said though, while you don't need to know much about him for the Avengers, I expect it'll play more a role in the second Cap film. Don't need to bother with the Hulk, it's pretty irrelevant to the Avengers. Hopefully the next Hulk film has Mark Ruffalo though.
    steam: sketch

The second Cap movie will make very little sense without having watched the first.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    The Place Beyond the Pines: So that wasn't at all what I was expecting. Turns out it's not Drive in a Ride the Lightning t-shirt, and thank heaven for that. Ray Liotta is a stunning bastard. Ben Mendelsohn didn't get nearly enough screen time, but he killed it every second he was up there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Les Mes - I quite liked this film it got to me ok you cant have that many deaths without at least a few sinking in ok. The direction is weird he does overuse dutch angles for no apparant reason and likes to hold 1 shot a bit to long like you want something else thete but i can see why he did that emotion on the face you dont see much in musicals because on the stage your far away so in a film you can do that. I didnt mind russel crowes singing in fact i had more problem with bonham carters singing then anything(which is weird because i liked her in sweeney todd). Pretty emotional movie and i really liked the power of some of the songs and characters.

Obscure Node
    I recently watched 'Perks of being a Wallflower' was happily surprised, it was a very good and emotionally satisfying movie that I would strongly recommend. It also got Emma Watson, yummie. :)

Then I watched The Last Stand with good ol' Arnolds return to the action screen. It was so bad I think parts of my brain melted. I like cheesy action flicks, but this one was so bad that it was good and went over to bad again.

I watched the latest Star Trek last night and have to say I found it a thoroughly average movie with very high production values and annoying amounts of lens flare.

I was quite surprised by my reaction since I reasonably enjoyed the first one, despite its utterly stupid plot and terrible bad guy.

Many of the characters were simply caricatures of their original selves - now if I'm honest I suspect the same was true in the first reboot but that was easier to forgive, given that it was the first - here however Scotty, Bones and Chekov in particular seemed to be reduced to a bunch of mannerisms and catch phrases. I wasn't at all bothered (unlike some) by Simon Pegg as Scotty in the first, but here he really grated, especially with his weird little sidekick.

So much of the film seemed to be pandering to fans' nostalgia with little to no beats of its own, I'm sure someone on the net has already done it but the amount of times something was brought up as a reference to the old shows/films bordered on the ridiculous. Sometimes I really appreciate shows that put in those kind of winks to existing fans but here it definitely came across as too overt 'playing to the crowd'.

spoilers: I also despise shows/films that use the oh look our principal character has died/isdying so we can have an excuse to have some emotional scenes and then we can just hand wave the whole thing later with some macguffin to bring them back to life. AND it was pandering to fans *sigh*

In fact I think the only bit I can say I unequivocally enjoyed was Benedict Cumberbatch's performance.

Hopefully going to see Iron Man 3 later, hope that's better than this :/
    Last edited by Timofee; 15-05-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Random comment: I didn't like the first Abrams' trek and I won't watch another one until they introduce tribbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Random comment: I didn't like the first Abrams' trek and I won't watch another one until they introduce tribbles.
    Jokes on you because [spoiler] there's tribbles in this one [end spoiler]

Steam ID

OHMYGOD

*runs to the theatre*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Assault on Wall Street

A normal New York wage earner named Jim something, with a wife suffering a long term medical problem, seemed to cover everything well financially. Yet his broker firm sold to him some problematic investment tools, got delisted from the exchange, and on top of that, put him in a debt of 60K dollars. He suddenly could no longer cover all medical bill for his wife and he faced an imminent foreclosure on his mortgaged house. No hope of recovering his life-saving, he started to plan for a killing spree on this corrupted firm which cheated on his saving.

Starred by Dominic Purcell. Yeah, one of actors for Prison Break. Now Dominic doesn't need his younger brother to plan for him, since he has learnt smart enough to plot for a just crime all by himself.

This seemingly common action movie is actually quite deep. While Jim's broker discussed with Jim about aftermath of delisting of the investment tool, sth to do with real estate, Jim asked, "you did research, so did you inspect those properties? those real estate covered?" Exactly the problem, people earning easy money just forget about the basics. If you buy mortgage backed security and you do not check out the real estates, you simply do not know what you are buying. That's what our economy goes wrong. You know, in the old days, when a bank is deliberating on your loan approval, it always do a complete background check on you.
    Last edited by squirrel; 16-05-2013 at 01:40 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Bones was always the catch phrase guy even in the TOS movies. And a side to argue against Kirk. He was a doctor that really never did any doctoring.

I liked it.

Squirrel reviewing Uwe Boll... What strange paradise have I stumbled into?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Next up, Tei reviewing David Lynch.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Daft Punk on Straw Dogs: "A little slow to start, but it gets better."

I'm divided over whether RocknRolla is a better film than Snatch, but they are both better than Lock Stock.

While on the subject of British gangster films, Layer Cake is a solid film, and you can see why Daniel Craig impressed people in it enough to be cast as Bond.

Iron Man 3. All I gotta say is Jarvis is awesome.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Just google him, so Mr. Uwe Boll is the director of the movie "Assault on Wall Street".

Enjoy this film. I expect it will become some kinda cult movie, but it inspired me to think of what's wrong with the society we're living in. No, not only the financial system, but the whole society.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Uwe Boll turning Squirrel into a sociologist.

I guess it's time for the Reapers to come and reset the cycle of organic life.