Page 74 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 2763
    I watched Grave Encounters right before going to bed. That was a mistake.

It takes a while to get going and they don't half draw out the corridor scenes, but the real horror is in watching the five protagonists wheels come off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Man of Steel.
    They should abandon the sequel plans because there's no way they can top this.
    I sympathized with the villains. Faora = 110% awesome.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just finished watching Jiro Dreams of Sushi. It was a very enjoyable film, very nicely shot. I definitely recommend it, not only to those interested in Japanese culture and cuisine, but to everyone.

Could you anyone point me to similar, slow-paced documentaries that revolve around a person and how he goes about life, preferably set in Eastern Asia?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Just finished watching Jiro Dreams of Sushi. It was a very enjoyable film, very nicely shot. I definitely recommend it, not only to those interested in Japanese culture and cuisine, but to everyone.

Could you anyone point me to similar, slow-paced documentaries that revolve around a person and how he goes about life, preferably set in Eastern Asia?
    Sonatine is not a documentary, but it's slow paced, revolves around a person that walks a lot, and it takes place in Japan.
    I found it relaxingly good.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Two movies and, first of all, Monsters University was surprisingly good. Thought It would be just another bland cash-in but thankfully enough, it's not another Cars 2. I can say Pixar, after Brave, just outdone themselves again in the animation department. I can't really tell whether they shot it real-time or animated it completely in their little short story before the movie. As for the movie itself, just like watchin Toy Story and then watching TS3. There's a difference. Not a huige difference but it's there. The humour's pretty good too but I don't want to spoil it. This movie made me realize how very, very small my campus was compared to MU.

OTT, World War Z was okay. Nothing much to shout about other than being a decent 2-hour rabid zombie flick. Felt it could've been much better but eh.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    A Clockwork Orange - I think this really talks about how Alex doesn't do all the nasty things because he can and there is no reason for it, it really through visuals and great surreal moments shows that the place Alex is in is full of corrupt, multiplicative, and people who believe in sexual dominance exactly like Alex is. Basically Kubrick is saying it is the environment that causes Alex to do what he does. One thing that always surprises me is how really unconventional the first half really is, it is just so full of weird touches and slo mo and fast sex scenes its just bizzare. One thing also that really gets me is the end fantasy unlike what other people think that it is just a confirmation that Alex has gone back to his old ways it looks to me as he is fantasising about a wedding and being dominated sexually which is against the previous fantasies and what he has like throughout the film. If so the film also shows Alex's maturation but it doesn't jump out of you where he could of got that throughout the film which means another more detailed viewing is probably in order. I love this film and it kind of shows with cinematography, story, lighting, and bizarreness that Kubrick was a master and we have no movies now a days that match it it seems.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Finally watched Olympus Has Fallen. All in all, a fun movie with some really idiotic moments. And yeah, it is definitely "inspired by" Vince Flynn's "Transfer of Power", but it made enough changes that I wouldn't call it a ripoff. Maybe an adaptation. A few scenes were ripped straight from the book, but it was a much more mainstream story with a more traditionally heroic and likeable protagonist and a disturbingly high body count, rather than the book's emphasis on stealth and recon.

Basically, "Transfer of Power" is Die Hard 1: the story of a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time who is trying to survive while protecting the hostages. Olympus Has Fallen is Die Hard 2: the story of a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time who is trying to kill everything and singlehandedly save the world. Both are great, but in different ways.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

World War Z - basically a Roland Emmerich movie, but with shaky cam. It's exciting and fun. The one thing that carries over very well from the book is that "international feeling", if you know what I mean. I can't believe how well it turned out after all the production controversy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    This is the end - Good fun movie, lots of laughs, lots of cameos that get a laugh though I'd imagine on future viewings those scenes most certainly won't have the same impact. Good performances from everyone. CGI was amazingly bad though and there really is absolutely no plot beyond a shoestring.

Still fun though so who cares!
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post

Conversly, that's why I got bored of it halfway through, too slow, and I already got the gist at that point - "yes dude loves fish, traditional japanese values, yadda yadda ok im done."

(also not sure if that affected my judgement but I actually studied Japanese at my uni and did 5months study abroad there. not an otaku tho, not big into anime/manga/jrpgs except the good ones :p )
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Finally watched Drive the other night. A beautiful and well acted film, but I can definitely understand why it is a love-it-or-hate-it movie. All in all, it is a love story and a very well-written one at that, but it also contains moments of REALLY dark ultra-violence and lots of shades-of-grey morality. So people who are there for the love story might get alienated by the ultra-violence, people who are there for the dark and gritty story might get turned off if they realize it is a romantic movie.

Definitely one of my favorite movies though.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm watching NO movies right now because yet again Japan has decided to delay them all by months! Grrr!
    Man of Steel, Pacific Rim, World War Z, and about 3 others that I can't remember right now are all coming out in about a 1 week period in the middle of august. This month there is nothing. You'd think they didn't know that the cinema was a good place to hide from the insane heat and humidity in July.

I don't get why Japan seems to often stand alone in late movies, when the rest f the world seems to have finally almost gotten in sync.

Grumble Grumble Grumble

90's narrators had a hell of an ability to make good films sound awkward.

SLC Punk! for example. Good film, good cast. Trailer narration makes it sound on par with a Disney sports movie.

Also it has "Kes-from-Voyager" Jennifer Lien in it.

The Evil Dead trilogy. I haven't seen them since I was a kid.
    1 is really fun and the gore is outrageous. The deadites are amazing in this movie, they're funny and annoying in a way the sequels rarely capture again.
    2 has a very strong first act but goes downhill once the awful secondary characters get to the cabin.
    3 is a fucking hilarious adventure whose only downside is Evil Ash. Such a bad character...

The Evil Dead remake is shit by the way. Mia is incredibly cute and the gore is pretty cool, but it's a really boring and soulless flick except for the last 10 minutes.

Last movies I can remember watching:

Zero Dark Thirty
    . Kind of left me wondering why the movie had been made. Not that it's bad, it mostly works, but it felt like something was missing (which would be okay if it was a documentary, but I doubt it's fair to call it that).

G.I. Joe Retaliation. I watched this three days ago and it's taken me two days to remember it (I knew I had watched something), so it doesn't leave you with much of a lasting impression. The G.I. Joe movies feel kind of like the Transformers movies, but unlike with Transformers I don't get the urge to fastforward through them. Mostly.
    They have the same feeling of the director/writer not being able to decide whether he's making a kid's movie or a generic action movie, though. And the same we're-doing-this-for-the-money kind of acting.
    Best watched while playing a game or doing something else to distract you, I think.

Iron Man 3. No surprises, at all, but that was kind of okay too. It kept me entertained.
    ... Well, there was one surprise; that TV van with the satellite dish apparently used ISDN for the uplink.

Olympus Has Fallen. Not as bad as expected. The plot is held together with rubber bands and old gum, but if you make an effort to not pay too much attention, the movie actually works okay, maybe because the main character actually seems like a human being rather than a generic action hero.

I also watched the first ten minutes of Hansel And Gretel: Witch Hunters about five days ago and haven't managed to watch the rest yet, so that probably says something.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Olympus Has Fallen. Not as bad as expected. The plot is held together with rubber bands and old gum, but if you make an effort to not pay too much attention, the movie actually works okay, maybe because the main character actually seems like a human being rather than a generic action hero.
    After this film and last years remake of Red Dawn (yeah I know they were originally Chinese) it looks like Hollywood is doing their bit for the upcoming war effort in North Korea. Just like the effort they put in to demonise Arabs in action films during the 80s and 90s.

Been watching films uploaded to youtube. Open Range had a pretty sweet climax (not the saccharine romantic climax). Can't believe I hadn't seen Tombstone either. I feel like running a Kurt Russel marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    G.I. Joe Retaliation. I watched this three days ago and it's taken me two days to remember it (I knew I had watched something), so it doesn't leave you with much of a lasting impression. The G.I. Joe movies feel kind of like the Transformers movies, but unlike with Transformers I don't get the urge to fastforward through them. Mostly.
    They have the same feeling of the director/writer not being able to decide whether he's making a kid's movie or a generic action movie, though. And the same we're-doing-this-for-the-money kind of acting.
    Best watched while playing a game or doing something else to distract you, I think.
    I actually ended up watching that in theatres with a few friends when it came out and was very pleasantly surprised (was summed up by all of us having the reaction of "Did I just watch a live action GI Joe movie and actually enjoy it? What the hell?").

It wasn't a good film by ANY stretch, but it was faithful to the mythos (while still being "realistic"), right down to insanely blatant product placement and "Dudes, buy this cool toy" sequences. And I have to disagree with you on the "in it for the paycheck" aspect, since I actually got the feeling that most of the cast (basically everyone except the redhead and her parkour-obsessed love interest) actually really enjoyed being there, whether it be that they grew up with GI Joe (The Rock and Channing Tatum), just like doing movies like that (Ray Park and Ray Stevenson, although the former seems to be willing to do anything if he gets to prance around like a badass in a mask), or that they had kids who absolutely loved the series and were having fun (Bruce Willis and The President). I don't know if I really need (or even want) a sequel, but I think that was a pretty fun film.

Quote Originally Posted by baby snot View Post
    Can't believe I hadn't seen Tombstone either. I feel like running a Kurt Russel marathon.
    Tombstone is excellent. It's been a favourite since I first watched it around 1994. I think that and Unforgiven caused me to start paying attention to westerns again after having sort of given up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    It wasn't a good film by ANY stretch, but it was faithful to the mythos (while still being "realistic"), right down to insanely blatant product placement and "Dudes, buy this cool toy" sequences. And I have to disagree with you on the "in it for the paycheck" aspect, since I actually got the feeling that most of the cast (basically everyone except the redhead and her parkour-obsessed love interest) actually really enjoyed being there, whether it be that they grew up with GI Joe (The Rock and Channing Tatum), just like doing movies like that (Ray Park and Ray Stevenson, although the former seems to be willing to do anything if he gets to prance around like a badass in a mask), or that they had kids who absolutely loved the series and were having fun (Bruce Willis and The President). I don't know if I really need (or even want) a sequel, but I think that was a pretty fun film.
    yeah, maybe I was a bit harsher than was reasonable. The movie doesn't sit in my mind as a waste of time, at least.
    I don't have any connection with the mythos, though; some toy stores sold the action figures at times, but that's all I've seen of it here. That probably changes things a bit. The characters mean nothing to me, for one thing, and just seem random and fairly generic.

Watched Ultramarines, which apparently is an official Games Workshop Warhammer 40K movie. It's like a long cutscene from a pretty generic game, but where even a generic game might involve you in some way, the movie just leaves you to watch.
    The graphics and animations switch between okay and terrible (the spacemarines look like plastic game miniatures most of the time, which doesn't do much for immersion, and there are some weird scenes where depth of field and such is screwed up so it feels like you're looking at toys. That could be on purpose, I suppose, but if so it doesn't work very well, especially not when other scenes look decently realistic).
    I'm not an expert on W40K, but it seemed to me there were also a number of things that weren't true to the mythos.
    The intro cutscene in Dawn of War made me feel a lot more than this movie did.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Last night I watched Carnage, with Christoph Waltz, Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster and John C. Reilly. This movie should be mandatory viewing for all new or soon-to-be parents.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR