Page 75 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 2643
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Finally got round to seeing Joss Whedon's production of Much Ado About Nothing and I was suitably chuffed with it all. It took a little while to break into the Shakespearian language, especially considering I've neither seen any performance of or read the play, but thankfully it all pretty much makes sense. Obviously no comparison point, but it was carried with a sense of passion from everyone involved and that really shone through. It was simply really enjoyable and entertaining and that's enough for me.

Also, everyone in it is unfairly attractive. That's not a sleight, just saying.

Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    yeah, maybe I was a bit harsher than was reasonable. The movie doesn't sit in my mind as a waste of time, at least.
    I don't have any connection with the mythos, though; some toy stores sold the action figures at times, but that's all I've seen of it here. That probably changes things a bit. The characters mean nothing to me, for one thing, and just seem random and fairly generic.
    Yeah,I grew up with the toys and the good cartoon series (so before they all became ninjas who don't use guns and hug out their differences), so to me, it was basically "Wow, Hollywood finally GETS GI Joe". And a lot of the "in jokes" to the mythos were fun.

Watched Ultramarines, which apparently is an official Games Workshop Warhammer 40K movie. It's like a long cutscene from a pretty generic game, but where even a generic game might involve you in some way, the movie just leaves you to watch.
    The graphics and animations switch between okay and terrible (the spacemarines look like plastic game miniatures most of the time, which doesn't do much for immersion, and there are some weird scenes where depth of field and such is screwed up so it feels like you're looking at toys. That could be on purpose, I suppose, but if so it doesn't work very well, especially not when other scenes look decently realistic).
    I'm not an expert on W40K, but it seemed to me there were also a number of things that weren't true to the mythos.
    The intro cutscene in Dawn of War made me feel a lot more than this movie did.
    Yeah, I wanted to like Ultramarines (I think Abnett wrote the story) but it just fell so flat.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Red Dawn (2012). Not really anything much. Mostly it just made me wonder why newer action-ish movies are often so poor at character development, depth, and sense of time passing. The old Red Dawn was 114 minutes and as iffy as it was, it did manage to give a sense of progression and some kind of character depth. The new is 93 minutes and it just feels kind of static.

Dredd. I quite liked this, which was something of a surprise. It feels like 'a day in the life of Judge Dredd' rather than 'Judge Dredd saves the world' which was refreshing. Dredd is also sort of in the background while the rookie, in particular, and the main badguy (who is a woman) are far more fleshed out. It works pretty well, I think.

Team America: World Police (2004) - Hadn’t seen it in a while. Forgotten how good it actually is. Both funny and right on.
    Can I get a.. Fuck yeah!?!

Okay. Pacific Rim. Here's what I have to say about it.

Go. Watch it. NOW. Weird acting aside, I came to see giant robots killing giant monsters, I get giant robots killing giant monsters. Personally, I think tjis movie needs more Jagers. Having a couple of them blowing up in each scene was a bummer, especially what happened to Cherno Alpha

Definately one of the better movies I've seen this year.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    PAcifc Rim--man is this a hard movie to rate. The script is loaded with cliches, cardboard characters, and brilliant ideas that it never develops at all. But the action sequences are completely brilliant, perfectly choreographed, and some of the best CGI I've seen in a movie this year.

Which, I guess, makes it brilliant/awful?

I haven't been this divided on a movie since House Of Flying Daggers which had some of the most brilliantly choreographed and beautifully filmed action sequences ever, yet all attached to a completely shit script.

Still, despite its flaws, I liked parts of Pacific Rim overall enough to recommend it (the Hong Kong sequence is the best action sequence I've seen in the past several years). As a Del Toro film (aka the dude who did "Pan's Lanyrinth") it was kind of a disappointment. But as a mindless summer action spectacle it was really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    PAcifc Rim--man is this a hard movie to rate. The script is loaded with cliches, cardboard characters, and brilliant ideas that it never develops at all. But the action sequences are completely brilliant, perfectly choreographed, and some of the best CGI I've seen in a movie this year.

Which, I guess, makes it brilliant/awful?

I haven't been this divided on a movie since House Of Flying Daggers which had some of the most brilliantly choreographed and beautifully filmed action sequences ever, yet all attached to a completely shit script.

Still, despite its flaws, I liked parts of Pacific Rim overall enough to recommend it (the Hong Kong sequence is the best action sequence I've seen in the past several years). As a Del Toro film (aka the dude who did "Pan's Lanyrinth") it was kind of a disappointment. But as a mindless summer action spectacle it was really great.
    I tend to think this was more of a bang up action anime filmed as a live action flick. Terrible story but god, the action sequences were fantastic. No movie with giant robots has made me this giddy since forever. But yeah, the script was a terrible cliché
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Killing Season starred by John Travolta and Robert De Niro.

Not an impressive movie title, nor the story just at the first glance. It seems just like tons of cheap survival-horror movie out there. But then I saw the names of the two great stars: John Travolta and Robert De Niro!! So I told myself I not gonna miss this one.

Story started back in 1992, Bosnia. The introduction statement states that war started when Serbs "invaded" Bosnia, starting one of the most bloody war in modern European history. This sounds so politically correct but it's hundred miles away from the truth. It's not a war among sovereigns. It was a civil war which led to the breakdown of a once great nation called Yugoslavia. I don't know if youths these days know much about this history, but back then it was one of the events that catch so hot international attention. I almost thought if people in Sarajevo would live in siege forever. So Yugoslavia grouped several Slavic peoples under one sovereigns, and as I know before the communists overrun the whole Eastern Europe, Yugoslavia was under monarchy, yet after the Second World War it became a communist country, a unique one, so unique that it broke away from Soviet bloc by directly denouncing Stalin. (Stalin's political theories seem to be orthodox, I barely recall some I learnt in high school and college. Anyway I gave those theories back to my teachers once I pass the exams.) Yet obviously it was so much benefited from the status quo from the Cold War. Once the great USSR was desolved (it seemed to treat us as enemy, yet I personally so much admired this true and powerful communist country we once had), all factions formerly under control immediately get loose one by one. Ethnic groups in Yugoslavia were definitely one. All Bosnian, Croatians all seem to be Slavic people like Serbs, but they have different religions, the fact that seems to drive them away from each others. Croatians were Roman Catholic and Bosnians were Islamic, and Serbs are Orthodox. Anyway all except Serbs wanted to leave Yugoslavia to start their new nations. That started a series of bloody civil wars in Yugoslavia (which finally ceased to exist as of now).

So ethnic cleanisation, or what you call genocide, were everywhere. In Bosnian, the US Army assaulted one such Serbian concentration camp imprisoning some Bosnians. Serb force guarding the camp was immediately outgunned and forced to surrender. Horribly the US GIs didn't take in prisoners. They executed all captured Serbian guards but one. This one surviving Serb, 18 years later, finally gathered enough intel to identify the US military officer in command that day, came to the state for retribution. The US military officer had long retired and in his leisure time do hunting. In one such hunting he met this middle aged man with heavy foreign accent. They helped each others, talked all night and became good friends. But their encountering was not accidental. This middle aged was, as you can imagine, the Serb he spared on that day. So, hunting was on and only one could walk out of the jungle, alive. Who will that be?

This is not a simply hunting excitement for audience. The Serb demanded one thing from the former US Army Colonel: confession. He didn't just try to kill the colonel nor torturing him in capture just for enjoyment. He sought one simply answer: Why he committed the war crime on that day? The colonel condemned the Serb for torturing Bonsians, so was this the justification of executing the POWs on that day?

But this movie itself is so damn bloody. You've been warned.
    Last edited by squirrel; 14-07-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    A Field In England - This is definitely a kind of midnight cult movie which I actually think is a good thing, this also has an interesting release pattern which I think for independent film and probably for artier movies is definitely the future. The film itself is...very strange and disturbing on the surface its about some guys running away from the Civil War and then being kind of captured by this guy who wants to find treasure, but it seems to be so much more then that. There is really disturbing imagery in it and you can't really tell why its disturbing because its like images of a big black circle coming towards you or after hearing lots of screams the guy coming out in slow motion and just looking and walking really wrongly but not really seeing anything. The best way I can describe it is a kind of psychedelic western but I don't know if that's describing it well. Well all I can say I recommend it and its definitly a film I'd need to watch a few times to truly get it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I tend to think this was more of a bang up action anime filmed as a live action flick. Terrible story but god, the action sequences were fantastic. No movie with giant robots has made me this giddy since forever. But yeah, the script was a terrible cliché
    Yeah those action sequences were amazing. They were packed with details, paced beautifully and at no time was I ever confused with what was happening on the screen. The robot and monster designs both were brilliant. So many nods to so many robot and kajiu films, but Del Toro clearly understands and loves the dual genre.

The plot is very predictable, but it feels like the closing arc of a six-season TV series (in fact it does leap forward six years after the intro) with few surprises left but all the stakes raised. I didn't mind the extremely archetypal characters so much, as they were still extremely likeable, and I was really rooting for the good guys towards the end.

Not to get too spoilery, but for me nothing tops the extended action sequence around the "double event" in the harbour and city. I was on the edge of my seat throughout.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    The plot is very predictable, but it feels like the closing arc of a six-season TV series (in fact it does leap forward six years after the intro) with few surprises left but all the stakes raised. I didn't mind the extremely archetypal characters so much, as they were still extremely likeable, and I was really rooting for the good guys towards the end.
    Didn't you know? This movie is the canonical ending to Sons of Anarchy. The guys disband the MC to go pilot giant robots and be shady dealers.

Also it's possible the best movie of the year. I went with my girlfriend and another couple. Neither of the girls were particularly enthused about the idea of giant robots vs giant monsters, especially compared to me and the other guy. By the city fight both the girls were having a grand old time watching the fight sequences.

I thought the characters and the story, although all quiet two dimensional still worked. I know it's an argument people hate, but I figure they where all like that because they were meant to be. Like the two Russians who are just like something out of Street Fighter 2 or the japanese girl who looks like she wouldn't be out of place in NGE.

Totally going to see it again.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    The Man with the Iron Fists - You can immediately tell it was written and directed by Rza. The dialogue is awful and the story mundane even for a kung-fu movie, so it's a good thing the action holds up. If want to see an eyeball get punched out of someone's face (and you do), then this movie is a must watch.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    The Man with the Iron Fists - You can immediately tell it was written and directed by Rza. The dialogue is awful and the story mundane even for a kung-fu movie, so it's a good thing the action holds up. If want to see an eyeball get punched out of someone's face (and you do), then this movie is a must watch.
    Ok, I'll watch it without the girlfriend then.

Oh Rza, why did you have to be in GI Joe.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Watched GI JOE few days ago,it was really bad. Kinda strange because i really liked first one when it came out and i bet its very similar to second one. Then i went to watch Fast and Furios 6,again i stopped after 20 minutes of watching..

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Watched GI JOE few days ago,it was really bad. Kinda strange because i really liked first one when it came out and i bet its very similar to second one. Then i went to watch Fast and Furios 6,again i stopped after 20 minutes of watching..
    The first and second GI Joes are almost nothing like each other.

First movie put all the Joes in knock off Iron Man suits and had them using the suits to give them faster, better everything.

Second movie is an 8 year old boys movie that he'd made up in his head while playing out his back garden with an assortment of action figures like actual Joes of knock of Joes (Corps).

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The best thing in Pacific Rim: the characters. All amazingly likeable. My favourites are the Russians.
    I can't remember the last time I liked so many characters - and so much - in a single movie.
    The fight scenes were cool but it seems that Man of Steel ruined every action movie for me because nothing here was that impressive. Not sure what I expected. Emmerich's Godzilla is still a better monster-in-city spectacle.

I imagine everyone at Warner and Legendary is scrambling to rewrite next year's Godzilla on set now that PR bombed.

Since my wife is pregnant, I've been "watching" Lifetime movies with her. Fun, I know.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Looks like I'll be watching the Logan's Run remake. Ken Levine, of all people, will write it.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074812/news
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Stake Land (2010). I didn't expect anything much from this, but ended up being pleasantly surprised. The ending is a bit annoying, or perhaps just rather abrupt, but it does kind of make sense.
    Last edited by Similar; 01-08-2013 at 05:11 PM.