Page 76 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 3355
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Passchendaele from a few years ago. Not sure where it is from, nor that I recognize any actor/actress, though I found them all quite handsome/beautiful.

A First World War movie about Canadian participation in the war on the British side. Don't know why they fought in a war which was not theirs. Maybe Canada back then was not as independent as it is nowadays? I learnt this movie when once it appeared randomly while I was browsing Youtube. The battlefields in the Western Front were all worse than hell. It was a time where rifles had been well developed that infantrymen no longer need to stick together in column to increase survivability, yet armored vehicles had yet to be massively introduced to hasten the rythm. Most men died needlessly in those ferocious yet stupid infantry and artillery actions. I was stunned by the Youtube (which is dramatic, of course) so I shopped around, and in one such DVD store I was lucky enough to get one. I was told there are two battle scenes in this movie, one as introduction and another one to conclude the movie. This movie also protroyed in the way Canadians took the war as their own, and it would be shame for a Canadian at the time to not serve in the military to fight in a continent too far away from home.

Passchendaele is a location in Belgium, there was a major battle there during the Great War, with Canadian Army participation on the British side. Of course, I know you guys know much more about your own history than I do. I don't know this place Passchendaele before this movie.

Too busy to watch a movie, and will watch it once I have time. I am working my whole day in just one Computer Science homework, and hell I just flunked one of three. I was wise not to pick up majoring in Computer Science, otherwise I would have be university dropout. Yet I really want to acquire this essential skill of computer programming, to survive in this new age.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Passchendaele from a few years ago. Not sure where it is from, nor that I recognize any actor/actress, though I found them all quite handsome/beautiful.

A First World War movie about Canadian participation in the war on the British side. Don't know why they fought in a war which was not theirs. Maybe Canada back then was not as independent as it is nowadays?
    That's correct. Canada was a part of the British empire at the time, though an increasingly independent part of it, and became fully independent not too long after. (1931? My history's rusty, but I think that's when it became official, though it had been more or less independent for a few years beforehand.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The Worlds End - A nice finish to the cornetto trilogy. Starts a little slow but it picks up and keeps going. Best parts of the movie include any scene with Nick Frost after his character has a drink and the scene when it's reviled why Simon Peggs character is the way he is. Such a simple scene but it just explains absolutely everything about him.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Burn After Reading. You know what, you win Coen brothers? I can't keep up with your silly, fun insanity. I will watch more of your films, but you're insane. Anyhow, a little slow start, but when everything starts coming together (if you've seen it, I think you know the scene I'm talking about) it's pitch perfect. thought it ended rather abruptly, but the final dialogue is absolutely hilarious. Also, how many times is the word 'fuck' uttered throughout? Seems like loads. Anyhow, for no reason, here's my ranking the Coen brother films I've seen thus far:

The Big Lebowski > The Hudsucker Proxy > Barton Fink > Burn After Reading.

Ask me another day and the middle two would probably reverse.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The Riddick flicks.

Pitch Black - I still shat my pants with excitement when the night began. A film just as good now as it was a decade ago.

Dark Fury - first time I saw this. The 0G fight was awesome. The middle is pretty shitty and the set-up for CoR is brief and boring. It picks up a bit towards the end.

The Chronicles of Riddick (Director's Cut) - first time I see this cut, which is much better than the theatrical. Now this movie is fucking weird. It's like Jean-Pierre Jeunet decided to do Space Conan. The visual design is outstanding. The whole Necromonger mythology is so dumb and earnest I can't help but love it. The DC adds a whole lot of bullshit on top of that - you might be familiar with it if you played the games. It only adds to its charm, but coming from Pitch Black it's VERY jarring at first. The second half fires on all cylinders and is one hell of an action movie.

I can't wait for the third movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Just bought and watched Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox. I wholeheartedly recommend it, even if you didn't actually LIKE Flashpoint.

Quick summary: SOMETHING happens in the timeline of the DC universe and Barry Allen (The Flash) wakes up to a world where Batman is a crazed mass murderer, Aquaman and Wonder Woman have gone to war and pretty much destroyed Europe (Amazons murdered all of the UK, Atlantis flooded France, etc), and Barry is not The Flash (plus a bunch of other major changes). And it is about him figuring out what happened and how to fix it.

For those unaware: Flashpoint was a story from a few years back that was written as a way to bridge the gap and reboot the DCU for the comics to bring in new readers who might get intimidated by being told "Well, if you want to read about Batman's son you should probably go back at least three or four years to start Morrison's run" or "Well, as cool as Brightest Day is, you really have to go back about a decade to understand it". It had a lot of really interesting ideas, but DC largely half-assed it while they were prepping the reboot (and the fanbase is still pretty divided on if the reboot was a good idea).

The animated movie restructured the narrative quite a bit (you will probably not be surprised by the reveal) and emphasized scenes that were otherwise "blink and you miss it" fan-winks, but the end result is a MUCH more powerful story. And I am inclined to say that it is the darkest animated comic book adaptation ever. This thing puts Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker, Under the Red Hood, and Season 2 of Young Justice to shame. Hell, comparing the climax of this to the climax of S2 of Young Justice, I think I would rather be forced to re-watch Wally West running himself to death to save the world rather than the climax of the movie version of Flashpoint. MUCH less of The Feels.

And I have to give DC/WB credit. I know they are trying to wean us off of Kevin Conroy, but I am really glad they used him for Bruce this time around as I don't think any other voice actor (well, MAYBE Bruce Greenwood on a REALLY good day) could have handled Bruce's scenes in this.
    But Steve Blum as Lex Luthor was a bit jarring.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Here's my ranking the Coen brother films I've seen thus far:

The Big Lebowski > The Hudsucker Proxy > Barton Fink > Burn After Reading.

Ask me another day and the middle two would probably reverse.
    Well, that's just like, your opinion man. No Fargo yet?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Not yet! But, I think I've done well for, having not seen any Coen brother films up until the beginning of last year, I've not done too badly! I've mostly only watched them because my friend was given a box-set, so I'm sure I'll get round to more at some point. They have a style I really enjoy.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    O Brother>Fargo>Barton Fink>The Big Lebowski>No Country=Blood Simple (watch them back to back, they're eerily similar)>A Serious Man>The Hudsucker Proxy>Miller's Crossing>The Man Who Wasn't There>Burn After Reading>True Grit>The Ladykillers.
    Last edited by sabrage; 22-07-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I really liked Big lebowski,i hated Burn after reading and miller's crossing was decent. Never watched other movies they made.

Scrap that,i checked their movies and i also saw No Country For Old Men/True Grit,both very awesome movies indeed.
    Last edited by DaftPunk; 22-07-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I have to say Fargo is probably there best, though I haven't seen Barton Fink. Thought Millers Crossing was ok but didn't really have much substance, looking back at it same with Hudsucker Proxy but it is quite gorgeous to look at. No Country For Old Men I would put second but it is a close second. The Big Lebowski would obviously be third. And A Serious Man I would say is there most underrated has probably the funniest non-punchline to a joke I've ever seen.

I will probably have to watch Burn After Reading but I don't have high hopes since when it was on TV I was very much bored with it the first 10 minutes and didn't really see that it was that funny.

Network Hub
    Watching Oblivion... few bits of audio already that sound like riffs on stuff right out of hl2. Metro cop voices, city 17 announcer.

Pacific Rim at the cinema yesterday - was everything Transformers should have been, and most importantly managed to make the parts between all its giant robots vs. fishy aliens interesting enough to care about the characters. Some bits were a bit predictable, but that's what you get for watching movies for 30 years I guess. The only thing I didn't really like was how the whole world has to work together to overcome their destruction but there's still only room for a single fleshed-out female role that has more dialogue than one single sentence. If even Michael Bay gets it done better than you (even with cliché characters) you are doing something wrong.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by baby snot View Post
    Watching Oblivion... few bits of audio already that sound like riffs on stuff right out of hl2. Metro cop voices, city 17 announcer.
    EDIT: My bad. Thought I heard stuff when I should have been paying closer attention. Bit of a dud film. Except for Jamie Lannister's smouldering good looks. Really need to watch Headhunters.

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Pacific Rim at the cinema yesterday - was everything Transformers should have been, and most importantly managed to make the parts between all its giant robots vs. fishy aliens interesting enough to care about the characters. Some bits were a bit predictable, but that's what you get for watching movies for 30 years I guess. The only thing I didn't really like was how the whole world has to work together to overcome their destruction but there's still only room for a single fleshed-out female role that has more dialogue than one single sentence. If even Michael Bay gets it done better than you (even with cliché characters) you are doing something wrong.
    What female characters in Transformers where fleshed out at all?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    What female characters in Transformers where fleshed out at all?
    I spared myself from watching the third in the series, but Transformers 2 had at least three female characters that had more dialogue and better character diamonds than every other female character in Pacific Rim apart from Mako. Certainly not the best in action movie history, but still...
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

I can't remember three female characters in Transformers 2 other than Megan Fox's, the Transformer who plays a slutty girl to try sleep with and kill the main character and the main characters mother.

In 3, Megan Fox get's replaced with a blonde and british counterpart whose then the same identical character and the mother is still kicking about.

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I can't remember three female characters in Transformers 2 other than Megan Fox's, the Transformer who plays a slutty girl to try sleep with and kill the main character and the main characters mother.
    The female computer analyst who sneaks out secret data to her obese friend before both get rounded up by the FBI.

Saw The World's End earlier and left feeling pretty disappointed, having gone in with little in the way of expectations either way (I was actually due to see Pacific Rim, but that's the way the cookie crumbles). So I'll start by saying I don't think it was a bad film, but I definitely don't think it was good. Like I thought Shaun of the Dead was 'okay', I think TWE is 'okay', except I haven't seen the former for years, but I've never had much of an inkling to re-watch it, whilst if someone offered up Hot Fuzz I'd be like "Yes! Very much please thank you!"

I thought it took a long time to get started and just generally had inconsistent pacing, culminating in the start of a great ending which then went really stupid. I laughed throughout, but again it was pretty inconsistent. Honestly, I felt like they were trying too hard with a lot of the jokes and in the end it was the more childish ones that got the best response. The direction was cool and while the fight scenes were really well choreographed, I'm not so sure on the camera-work. I could easily see what was trying to be done, the style they were going for, but whilst it worked in Scott Pilgrim, I don't think it entirely worked here. The plot was fine, if not a tad predictable at times.

All in all, Hot Fuzz was much, much better.

And now for people who've seen it, a spoiler discussion! [MASSIVE SPOILERS, BIGGER THAN THE SUN]So the ending was pretty bloody stupid, wasn't it? Talking to my friends as we left, the whole "We have no technology thing" is just a bit daft. The aliens arrived at some point in the 80s, gave us mobiles and obviously the ramifications of that, but to wipe out all tech? Eh, I can see them being pissed off at Gary/humanity and doing it in spite, but honestly, there's no-one left on Earth who can't rebuild? What, did everyone who possess knowledge of technology suddenly forget how it works, how to do it? Everyone was content with living in a Mad Max society? We already had the internet by that point, albeit not the WWW, but we had something. We had nuclear power way before then. I liked the intention, but it could've been arrived at better, or simply ignored. I'd have been perfectly happy to have the film end once they survived the explosion, I had been left satisfied by the ending, especially with telling the aliens to fuck off.[/spoilers]