Page 80 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 3265
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Watched 'Only God Forgives' with Ryan Gosling and directed by Nicolas Winding Refn. Visually a pretty stunning film in terms of setup, but it suffers from style over substance and a laconic predictability. An uneven cross-pollination of Lynch & Takashi without the uncompromising darkness of the former or the actual randomness of the latter. On the positives KST was pretty impressive, as the Bullish mother but I'm hard pressed to recommend this.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    World War Z. I didn't expect it to be very good, partly due to the problems during production and the fast zombies, but it actually worked quite well. Probably shouldn't think too deeply about certain bits, though. Main problem really is that it's called World War Z, because it isn't.

Star Trek: Into Darkness. Another surprise because I enjoyed this one too. Maybe I'm just fortunate to have a shitty memory, so I couldn't tell whether it followed the canon or not, but then, that's an advantage too; it works without much prior knowledge.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Star Trek: Into Darkness. Another surprise because I enjoyed this one too. Maybe I'm just fortunate to have a shitty memory, so I couldn't tell whether it followed the canon or not, but then, that's an advantage too; it works without much prior knowledge.
    It worked better the less prior knowledge you know. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    It worked better the less prior knowledge you know. :)
    yeah, I suspected that. My memory sucks, so I can't really remember much of what I used to know about Star Trek, which was probably an advantage here.

Deleted previous post in order to more accurately portray this with screenshots.

Drinking game idea:

Watch Dracula 2000 and drink every time there's Virgin product placement on the screen. You will probably have to go to the off-licence halfway through to get more drink in. It's so prevalent that it's bordering on a parody of the Psi-Corp. subliminal messages ad from Babylon 5. (The Psi-Corp. is your friend. Trust the Corp.)

I will give the film credit for doing something with Draculas' origin story that I haven't seen done anywhere before or since.

There's also a small role in the film for a young Nathan Fillion, who I did not recognise the first time I saw this years ago. Also, Seven Of Nine is in here as one of Draculas' brides.

In preparation for Beyond: Two Souls, I "played" Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Inspired by Rome II, I rewatched Gladiator (extended) and then I read Nick Cave's Gladiator 2 script.

Gladiator - great epic let down by poor direction during most action scenes. Shaky-cam, quick cuts, low framerate - it's a total mess. Connie Nielsen is so beautiful, no wonder Commodus was perving on her!

Gladiator 2 - some boring characters aside, it's basically a mash-up of Quo Vadis and Tarsem's Immortals. It's also ridiculously awesome:
    Maximus wakes up in purgatory, a bleak and limitless world of rain and deserts. At the shores of purgatory, an endless camp of dead souls spends eternity waiting for Charon to take them to Elysium. However the old gods are sick and their powers faded, so nobody gets across the sea. The reason for this, and I am not making it up, is Christianity. The seven gods tell Maximus that he and his family will go to Elysium if he tracks down and kills the eighth: Hephaestos, who now believes in the Christian God and fled to the desert with a small band of follows.
    I am still not making this up.

Maximus eventually finds Hephaestos - a dying old man, abandoned by his followers, holding a cross made of sticks. Twist: his family is not in Elysium. His wife gave up her place to send their son to Earth, where he can live again. Hephaestos sends Maximus back to Earth.

And Maximus rises out of the fucking body of a dead Christian during a massacre in Lyons. Decades have passed since the first movie and we're in the middle of the Decian Persecution. Maximus pulls the sword out of the dead body and gladiators his way through the crazed Roman mob. Eventually he gets involved in the Christian movement and goes to Rome, where his son was adopted by a bishop. Maximus is immortal, reunites with Juba and teaches the Christians that fighting is better than dying like sheep. He is also recognized by people who saw him die in the arena.

By the way, a ton of Christians die - some of them in great style, like during a mock naval battle in the Colosseum with hundreds of alligators in the water. The emperor Decius is basically an even more depressed Commodus who feeds his dying spider monkey with bread dipped in milk. The villain is, of course, Lucius - the kid from the first movie.

To top it all off, because Maximus is immortal, the final pages have him fight in the Crusades, WW2, Vietnam and so on. In the final scene he's in a meeting at the Pentagon.

It's a very entertaining script which could be perfect after a bit of polishing. It works because it's Gladiator 2. The major characters and some themes are established in the first movie.
    Gladiator 2 will never be filmed so go read this script. It's just a Google search away.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The new Riddick movies is pretty good. Has a great opening with few words spoken. There are ties to the first movie (Pitch Black) and second movie (Chronicles of Riddick), the third being a direct sequel after Chronicles. Katie Sackhoff's character was good at the start then they kinda threw it away.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Watched Man of Steel today. The story is over-complex, which means you don't really get much time to care for the characters, but the action scenes are very very well done. I think I ducked in my seat in one scene. (then felt very embarrassed! In 2D as well.)

Ok, so Japan weirdly delayed ALL the summer blockbusters until september. So I have a big list of movies I want to see in the theatre and not enough time/money. Which of the following would people most recommend to see in the theatre?
    - Man of Steel [DONE]
    - Star Trek into Darkness
    - World War Z
    - Pacific Rim
    - Elysium

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Pacific Rim because it's nothing like any other movie in decades.

Star Trek - same as the first one
    World War Z - more zombies
    Pacific Rim - Giant Robots vs Giant Monsters.
    Elysium - Slightly original but still just a sci-fi movie at the end of the day
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Watched Man of Steel today. The story is over-complex, which means you don't really get much time to care for the characters, but the action scenes are very very well done. I think I ducked in my seat in one scene. (then felt very embarrassed! In 2D as well.)

Ok, so Japan weirdly delayed ALL the summer blockbusters until september. So I have a big list of movies I want to see in the theatre and not enough time/money. Which of the following would people most recommend to see in the theatre?
    - Man of Steel [DONE]
    - World War Z
    - Pacific Rim
    - Elysium
    I saw Elysium and would recommend against it. The effects are really great, but the story is too black and white(or should I say, Hispanic and French). It's the archetype of a summer blockbuster.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar

- Man of Steel [DONE]
    - World War Z
    - Pacific Rim
    - Elysium
    Only saw Pacific Rim and Elysium from that list of summer movies. Go see Pacific Rim and skip Elysium. This goes double because you are in Japan.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

- World War Z
    This was a lot of fun and I don't even like zombies. It's a fast paced, no-bullshit thriller set in the middle of a Roland Emmerich apocalypse.

Star Trek is worse than the first one. Wait for the Blu-Ray.
    I really dislike Pacific Rim. Almost as disappointing as Prometheus. It's dark and boring.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    The Conjuring was pretty meh for a horror movie. There were so many supernatural entities that the story felt disjointed and overly long; the finale where it was all tied together was a letdown considering how long was spent building everything up. If you're a big horror fan you might get something out of it but if you're only mildly interested in the genre it's probably better to stay away.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    The Conjuring was pretty meh for a horror movie. There were so many supernatural entities that the story felt disjointed and overly long; the finale where it was all tied together was a letdown considering how long was spent building everything up. If you're a big horror fan you might get something out of it but if you're only mildly interested in the genre it's probably better to stay away.
    It was a pretty well put together movie though. I agree the story is nothing new, if you've seen any haunted house movie you've pretty much seen this. But its a really well shot, well styled period piece for the timeline.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    It was a pretty well put together movie though. I agree the story is nothing new, if you've seen any haunted house movie you've pretty much seen this. But its a really well shot, well styled period piece for the timeline.
    Yes, it was certainly well shot and acted. The issues I have are the length and subplots. For instance, was the whole deal with Annabelle necessary after the first scene to introduce the investigators? I don't think so, it just felt distracting to include the scenes in their home, and especially the scenes with their daughter towards the end. Also, including a mix of demons and ghosts is just confusing. I think the movie would have been better served to just focus on one of the two. I suppose this is kind of hinted at in the investigator's lectures at the beginning, but something about it just feels off to me.

Maybe it's just me though, as these kinds of movies aren't really my thing. This was future-missus-Fumarole's choice after all. She'll be dragged to Machete Kills later this year, though, so it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    She'll be dragged to Machete Kills later this year, though, so it's all good.
    Funny enough, it was my girlfriend who wanted to see The Conjuring because she loves horror movies and she'll also be getting brought to see Machete Kills. I personally don't get how being scared is all that fun.

In regards to the rest of your post, Annabelle at the end did seem a bit silly. I didn't mind the stuff with their daughter, because that was explained in a simple scene. The necklace the daughter gives to her mother becomes possessed in the home when she tries to escape the basement on one occasion, she loses it as it's grabbed away from her. Since the necklaces are meant to be connected, the Witch uses it as a medium.

As far as I know, there where no demons apart from Annabelle in this story? It was a Witch's spirit doing pretty much everything horrible that happened in the house, the rest of the spirits where her victims.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I really wish that Gladiator would be more about those epic battles we got in the beginning then what we got in the movie,gladiator fights and all that shit.

Company of Heroes. Messy, cliched, geographically suspect and a tad embarrassing at times.

On the other hand, I rewatched Battle of Los Angeles and Cowboys and Aliens and thought they were quite okay this time around (I didn't like them much the first time).

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I really wish that Gladiator would be more about those epic battles we got in the beginning then what we got in the movie,gladiator fights and all that shit.
    You want Gladiator to not be about gladiators?