Page 82 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 3361
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    That's one harsh comparison to make.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    That's one harsh comparison to make.
    Indeed. At least Gervais has Wheatley...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I'm in awe at how beautiful Riddick's goddamn rock planet is.
    I mean, holy shit, it's the perfect space fantasy setting! It's even more SPACE CONAN than Chronicles.
    How can they achieve such a fantastic look, with tons of CGI, for only 38 million dollars? It's riddickulous. Every once in a while a movie like this or District 9 comes along and makes me wonder - are most movies just a money laundering front? What black hole swallows the budgets of shitty Adam Sandler comedies? How can so many movies look so BORING when they have much bigger budgets? What is After Earth's excuse? What was going on behind the scenes of Twilight? How can a movie 3 times cheaper look 30 times better?
    The movie is great and I hope they make a ton of sequels. I'm waiting to get to the Underverse since 2004...

Speaking of low budgets, I also watched Europa Report, which is a fictional account of a manned mission to Jupiter's moon Europa. It's a mock documentary with footage from the cameras on board the spaceship. It's fascinating and very intense. It feels so real, and it's absolutely majestic at times. One little moment that stuck with me: a view from an external camera of Jupiter and the Galileean moons. We skip ahead a couple of months, the planet is a lot bigger, the moons are in different positions, but they're still so far away... As a fan of all space things, this movie is great.
    Bonus: Sharlto Copley delivers another great performance.

caught Detachment tonight, the story of a substitute school teacher (Adrian Brody) who's dead inside. And well, it was depressing as shit. Not a bad movie, I actually really liked it, but it's certainly not a happy story.

I'm not sure how true to life the portrayal of the school was in the movie, as the school I went to wasn't anything like it, but I'm guessing it was pretty close to how some of the schools in the states are run which makes the movie even more depressing. Kinda made me reconsider my interest in becoming a teacher.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The movie is great and I hope they make a ton of sequels. I'm waiting to get to the Underverse since 2004...
    There are plans to make sequels and I do believe the film made a profit. Failing that, Vin Diesel will just be in more Fast and Furious films until he has enough money to pay for a new Riddick film again. This one definitely felt like a re-boot, or at least a good stepping on point. For a 'B' movie series, it's pretty fun.

Anyhow, I got to strike another film from The List today and it was the turn of cheery and optimistic Dr. Strangelove. Man, I've been wanting to watch this one for years and finally got round to it. So I've found out where some famous iconography from cinema has come from in watching it and I'm not surprised. Actually, I'm more surprised that Darth Vader was serving aboard a B52 bomber, but that's a whole other thing. The film is utterly ridiculous, culminating in a fantastic final line. Muchly recommended for those who want to watch a highly amusing satire of war and war-mongers, or those who just want to revel in the ridiculous...Mein Fuhrer.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Anyhow, I got to strike another film from The List today and it was the turn of cheery and optimistic Dr. Strangelove. Man, I've been wanting to watch this one for years and finally got round to it. So I've found out where some famous iconography from cinema has come from in watching it and I'm not surprised. Actually, I'm more surprised that Darth Vader was serving aboard a B52 bomber, but that's a whole other thing. The film is utterly ridiculous, culminating in a fantastic final line. Muchly recommended for those who want to watch a highly amusing satire of war and war-mongers, or those who just want to revel in the ridiculous...Mein Fuhrer.
    On that note, everybody go watch In the Loop.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There are plans to make sequels and I do believe the film made a profit. Failing that, Vin Diesel will just be in more Fast and Furious films until he has enough money to pay for a new Riddick film again. This one definitely felt like a re-boot, or at least a good stepping on point. For a 'B' movie series, it's pretty fun.

Dr Strangelove is one of the classics that stands up without having to readjust your expectations. It really is magnificent.

Anyhow, I got to strike another film from The List today and it was the turn of cheery and optimistic Dr. Strangelove.
    That is a great and iconic film! One of my all-time favorites was made by the same director: A Clockwork Orange.

Adam's excellent article on the lack of imagination in the horror genre reminded me that I have to rewatch the superb Triangle.

Judging by the discussion in this thread I reallly should give District 9 and Riddick a chance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    District 9 is fookin fantastic. I mean, I went in not knowing anything other than the whole shanty town south africa aesthetic and it blew me away.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I'm playing Mass Effect 3 and there is a War Room on the Normandy. I'm waiting for The Joke to happen, maybe it's towards the end.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Red Faction: Origins. Actually not nearly as terrible as expected. The plot lives up to the games, so it's not winning any awards, but it fits a RF movie well enough. Some vehicles and the terraformer are straight from the games, which was nice to see, but the Marauders are nothing like what they should be.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    On that note, everybody go watch In the Loop.
    I agree with this sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    District 9 is fookin fantastic. I mean, I went in not knowing anything other than the whole shanty town south africa aesthetic and it blew me away.
    This one too.