Page 87 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 3265
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Man of Steel. Well, that was certainly ... something. I kept forgetting I was watching it, which sums it up fairly well, I think.
    Also, I'm admittedly not that familiar with Superman, but I never knew they had dragons on Krypton.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I watched both The Naked Prey and Apocalypto. The Naked Prey is simply a relic from the past. A polished relic, but a relic nonetheless. Apocalypto, its spiritual sequel, is really the "Chase Movie to end all chase movies". Amazing visuals, some neat camera tricks and the acting didn't detract from the experience. Really enjoyable to watch.
    Apocalypto is similar to Gravity in which is nearly plotless. It's pure art, it has no other pretensions other than to be pretty pictures. Amazingly pretty pictures.

I also saw The Shining and its is gut-wrenching. It's psychological horror in the true sense, and the scariest part isn't the axe swinging. I had never seen such vivid portrayal of domestic abuse.
    What I saw was a intellectual brutalising his "simpleton" wife for the heck of it and not recognizing(or rationalizing away) the fact he was outsmarted by his child and other "simpletons". When she's near mental breakdown he just goes berserk, instead of reacting like the supposed high-minded balanced human being he was.
    How I wished this stuff was supernatural...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    It's pure art, it has no other pretensions other than to be pretty pictures. Amazingly pretty pictures.

I actually think its a bit more then that I think you can show that to any film school person and say heres how you make the simplest of motivations and a time clock on them really really work without any sort of dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I actually think its a bit more then that I think you can show that to any film school person and say heres how you make the simplest of motivations and a time clock on them really really work without any sort of dialogue.
    Ok... I guess?

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    TCM in America is running this documentary series on the history of film. I haven't been watching the documentary itself, but what's awesome is that for 24 hours after they show each episode they show a bunch of the movies discussed in each episode. So I've been DVRing and watching shitloads of silent films. In the past couple months I've seen The Crowd, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Nanook of the North, City Lights, Safety Last, The Goddess, Haxan, and Greed. I've pretty much just been watching silent films lately.

The documentary is just moving into the 1960s and 1970s now so I have a bunch of movies I've always meant to see from that era, but haven't gotten around to, set to DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    TCM in America is running this documentary series on the history of film. I haven't been watching the documentary itself, but what's awesome is that for 24 hours after they show each episode they show a bunch of the movies discussed in each episode. So I've been DVRing and watching shitloads of silent films. In the past couple months I've seen The Crowd, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Nanook of the North, City Lights, Safety Last, The Goddess, Haxan, and Greed. I've pretty much just been watching silent films lately.

The documentary is just moving into the 1960s and 1970s now so I have a bunch of movies I've always meant to see from that era, but haven't gotten around to, set to DVR.
    Safety Last is downright amazing. I can only imagine the people of that era watching it. It must be terrifying.

I just watched Y˘jinb˘. Wow.
    Fistful of Dollars looks like a backyard production now. After all, everything is better with swords.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I saw Filth last night which is excellent. It's a book by Ervine Welsh, of Trainspotting fame, it's about a rather dysfunctional copper in Edinburgh and his slow breakdown from mental illness. For American readers The Filth is British slang for her majesty's constabulary, ie the police.

It's very good, James MacAvoy puts in a great performance and if anyone can still catch it I'd really recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I just watched Y˘jinb˘. Wow.
    Fistful of Dollars looks like a backyard production now. After all, everything is better with swords.
    You should try watching Fistful of Dollars while Yojimbo is fresh in your mind. It's startling how close the movies are -- almost shot-for-shot.

Oh man, just wait until you've seen Ran.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Yojimbo is probably my favourite Kurosawa film of those I've seen (disclaimer: I can't as of yet include Ran on this list). Fistful of Dollars is good but just doesn't compare. Although For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly are both much better then the first film in the trilogy.

(And although not directly related, Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West is an absolute masterpiece.)

I need to watch all of Kurosawa films.
    I'll put them high on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    You should try watching Fistful of Dollars while Yojimbo is fresh in your mind. It's startling how close the movies are -- almost shot-for-shot.
    I'll have to try this. If they convinced lawyers they were similar...

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Yojimbo is probably my favourite Kurosawa film of those I've seen (disclaimer: I can't as of yet include Ran on this list). Fistful of Dollars is good but just doesn't compare. Although For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly are both much better then the first film in the trilogy.

(And although not directly related, Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West is an absolute masterpiece.)
    Indeed, Peter Fonda as the bad guy and that guy as not-Clint Eastwood are really great.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That guy isn't "that guy" he's goddamn Charles Bronson. :(

And yes, Once Upon a Time in West is one of the best (and manliest) movies ever made.

"You've brought two too many."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Just saw THE CONJURING,and it was awesome! I really like this producer,insidious was already a good movie,same with first saw and now this. Can't wait for insidious 2!

Other then that after conjuring i started watching mad max 1 for 15th time xD AND ITS STILL AWESOME IIUIUIUIUIUI

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    The Act of Killing: Staggering in every sense of the word. No movie has any right to pack that much human emotion into its running time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Went to see the new Thor movie today. Great movie. Easily one of the best in the series of the Marvel cinematic line.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Clerks 2.

Just saying.

Activated Node
    Once Upon A Time In The West is easily one of my most favourite Westerns ever. That opening sequence... Last film I watched was.... Season of the Witch!Not as bad as I thought it would be, especially since its a Nicholas Cage movie. Infact, it suprised me because he actually seemed to act through out... hell, he showed emotion in one scene!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Enders Game

Eh, I liked it. I think it followed original well enough for a 2-hour movie aimed at teenagers. Sure, they omitted tons of big and small details or entire subplots( like that blog-to-world-domination thing, plenty of stuff in Battle School, where is Rose the Nose?) but what counts is the end result and I liked it. Surprisingly, child actors and the protag kid were ok and at no point( other than durning the ridiculously overvisualized cringeworthy guns-akimbo shootout scene) did I want to leave the building. Posters and trailers convinced me the visual style is going to be "masseffectish"( and I'm ok with Mass Effect visuals most of the time) but no, thankfully it was only posters.

Was it great? Of course not. But it's the kind of thing I would have loved when I was 16. And fuck it, I still love things I loved when I was 16. Edgy stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.