Page 92 of 164 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 3267
  1. #1821
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,482
    Gravity. Went the whole hog and did the 3D Imax thing. Glad I did. Visually A-mazing in terms of bringing you into the experience without overselling it, and albeit I didn't think the acting was Oscar material great (Clooney was a little too calm when the shit hits the fan imho. Though I though Bullock was pretty solid). Certainly a film to catch at the cinema rather that wait for the DVD. It's not saying anything profound of insightful, but Cuarón makes a hell of a movie. Recommended.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

  2. #1822
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,762
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Escape Plan
    Arnold Schwarzenegger ... Sylvester Stallone ... 50 Cent.
    Box Office Poison right there. Jeez.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  3. #1823
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    I didn't realise that Dean Cain and Kevin Sorbo had fallen on such hard times that they had to resort to appearing in propaganda films.
    "Science reports it's existence, so why do you hate Him?"
    Good to see dubstep has already infected christian rockers. Just another proof God doesn't exist.

    I don't know who this Kevin Sorbo is, but he made Seltzer & Friedberg stuff before, that has to be the lowest point of one's career.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  4. #1824
    Network Hub Dubbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    450
    Watched Lore last night. It was all pretty depressing but the moments of happiness and her personal journey were handled well.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

  5. #1825
    Network Hub Rath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I don't know who this Kevin Sorbo is, but he made Seltzer & Friedberg stuff before, that has to be the lowest point of one's career.
    There are some episodes of Andromeda where his acting is so dire it gives Dolph Lundgrens' "Let heeuuerrr go!" line from Masters Of The Universe seem like Oscar material.

    Speaking of which, Masters Of The Universe.

    Last edited by Rath; 02-12-2013 at 12:39 AM.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

  6. #1826
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,762
    Well, I watched The English Patient. Even though is Oscar bait crystallized, it's actually interesting and not at all some feel-good drudgery. Just great acting overall by everyone. I bit long, but it's not boring.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  7. #1827
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    34
    Anything Made in Toronto.

    Mortal Insturments

    Mama

    Pacific Rim

    Foxfire - Is amazing, shot in Northern Ontario. Beautiful picture.

    There are so many others.

  8. #1828
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,380
    Catching Fire - These are bloody excellent movies, they have great acting in Jennifer Lawrence and they actually are saying soemthing about the world that we live in. The first half basically is a great satire on media and reality tv and touches on propaganda. They are also brutal movies I'm always surprised these movies are a 12 because they have a lot of monets that are pretty dark and have a lot of themes that are quite adult if you think about them. Jennifer Lawrence is sexy and amazing as always the first half she has to do some real acting by pretending to be into the marriage and relationships. Her look at the end really caps off the film. Also some cool characters in the game probably my favourite was kind of creepy tech dude he had a lovely voice and weird foppish Trident guy. I will be waiting for the next instalments with enthusiasm.

  9. #1829
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    There are some episodes of Andromeda where his acting is so dire it gives Dolph Lundgrens' "Let heeuuerrr go!" line from Masters Of The Universe seem like Oscar material.
    Well, he had a couple of strokes and never fully recovered.
    I'll always love him for his role as Hercules.

  10. #1830
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5
    I watched Captain Phillips last night and it was the best film I've seen in ages - but then I do love pretty much anything Tom Hanks is in so make of that what you will! :)

  11. #1831
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,333
    Just rented The World's End from Amazon.

    Quite good. Reminded me of From Dusk Till Dawn in its structure and it was a much more "mature" comedy than the other two. Quite possibly my favorite of the trilogy, and Nick Frost is a much better straight man than Simon Pegg (to the extent that either of them have really been a straight man in any of the movies).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  12. #1832
    Network Hub moms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    in a bar, somewhere.
    Posts
    326
    I've just watched "Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman" (the original 1958 version.)
    It is the consummate classic Drive-In flick (and here is the consummate classic Drive-In trailer to prove it.)

    "Bring me my purse."

    please visit
    the Game Orphanage

    Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014







  13. #1833
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,656
    Elysium is... awful except for the visuals and Sharlto Copley. Such a frustrating experience. Even the boss fight was garbage.

  14. #1834
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,762
    Well, this weekend it was too cold to pick up controllers or mice, so I had to watch some films.

    First up, Enemy of the State. After The Rock, Bruckheimer and his ilk trash yet another interesting script on SCREAMING PEOPLE, explosions, women in lingerie and similar dross. Just tone down the bullshit and you get an prescient thriller with the requisite twists and turns. Considering the more recent revelations, I don't know why don't they remake this, or even make a sequel.

    I also saw the entire Men in Black trilogy.
    The first film is really great as it doesn't take itself so serious (except for Tommy Lee Jones, hilariously), but it still manages to have it's comically serious moments.
    The sequel lost a bit of steam, but it's still entertaining, even if it's just more of the same.
    The third one was surprisingly good, back to the "good film" territory. I though Just Boris was Lambert Wilson, but apparently he's not. Josh Brolin mimics Tommy Lee Jones quite faithfully and the Sting doesn't veer into melodrama territory. The funnies are high on this one.

    Combining this last two makes me wonder if the NSA could become a NGO Superpower, maybe if they joined some other allies. They could sell themselves to the highest bidder in order to pay for their expenses, since they didn't patent velcro, or liposuctions. At the very least the 51st state.


    Last, but the best, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. My first wuxia won't be the last. Word on the street is that this doesn't represent the best the genre has to offer, so the next ones will have some pretty big shoes to fill, since this is awesome. The action scenes are brilliantly filmed, the way they float around it's just so relaxing. The story is great, and the acting completes the package. Memorable scenes include Chow Yun Fat wiping the floor with the Geisha, using only a twig. There is even space for comic relief, mainly as the security chief fails to do any securing, leaving the action to the Royals Who Actually Do Something. Totally recommended.

    Quote Originally Posted by moms View Post
    I've just watched "Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman" (the original 1958 version.)
    It is the consummate classic Drive-In flick (and here is the consummate classic Drive-In trailer to prove it.)
    A new high in Horror! Does it have panty shots, or it was too risqué for the fifties?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  15. #1835
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,209
    Hah, I've watched The Incredible Shrinking Man(1957) few days ago. It have some nice special effects and it's more scary than most of over the top (you know, spinning blades in abandoned asylum filled with mask wearing killers) horror movies.

  16. #1836
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Last, but the best, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. My first wuxia won't be the last. Word on the street is that this doesn't represent the best the genre has to offer, so the next ones will have some pretty big shoes to fill, since this is awesome. The action scenes are brilliantly filmed, the way they float around it's just so relaxing. The story is great, and the acting completes the package. Memorable scenes include Chow Yun Fat wiping the floor with the Geisha, using only a twig. There is even space for comic relief, mainly as the security chief fails to do any securing, leaving the action to the Royals Who Actually Do Something. Totally recommended.
    Keep in mind that wuxia films generally encompass "martial hero" stories. So the films encompass a broad variety of chinese folklore and myth and not all of them are wire-fu films. Recommended wuxia movies:


    • A Touch of Zen - An utterly beautifully shot film and a big inspiration for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    • Hero - I adore this film and one of the most beautiful things i've seen. If you manage a HD print, sink into it and find the extended edition if you can.
    • Curse of the Golden Flower - story heavy, massive politics but deliciously evil fun to watch.
    • The Grandmaster - Wong Kar Wai's take on the genre and a loose biopic of Ip Man.
    • Butterfly and Sword - batshit insane wire-fu with michelle yeoh and donnie yen, good fun.
    • Once Upon a time in China 1, 2 and 3 (Avoid all the others, seriously) - Jet Li busting out his kung-fu chops at lightning speed.
    • Fist of Legend - retelling of Bruce Lee's Fists of Fury. Outstanding film and the two showcase fights in the film are Jet Li at his physical peak.
    • Tai-Chi Master - another batshit insane wire-fu with Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh.
    • Drunken Master 1 (2 bends the wuxia genre a lot but is still fun to watch) - Jackie Chan is a genius. Simple.
    • The Swordsman Trilogy

  17. #1837
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,762
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Keep in mind that wuxia films generally encompass "martial hero" stories. So the films encompass a broad variety of chinese folklore and myth and not all of them are wire-fu films. Recommended wuxia movies:


    • A Touch of Zen - An utterly beautifully shot film and a big inspiration for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    • Hero - I adore this film and one of the most beautiful things i've seen. If you manage a HD print, sink into it and find the extended edition if you can.
    • Curse of the Golden Flower - story heavy, massive politics but deliciously evil fun to watch.
    • The Grandmaster - Wong Kar Wai's take on the genre and a loose biopic of Ip Man.
    • Butterfly and Sword - batshit insane wire-fu with michelle yeoh and donnie yen, good fun.
    • Once Upon a time in China 1, 2 and 3 (Avoid all the others, seriously) - Jet Li busting out his kung-fu chops at lightning speed.
    • Fist of Legend - retelling of Bruce Lee's Fists of Fury. Outstanding film and the two showcase fights in the film are Jet Li at his physical peak.
    • Tai-Chi Master - another batshit insane wire-fu with Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh.
    • Drunken Master 1 (2 bends the wuxia genre a lot but is still fun to watch) - Jackie Chan is a genius. Simple.
    • The Swordsman Trilogy
    And this is why I love RPS. Thanks a lot!
    Looks like Michelle Yeoh is a bigger superstar than I thought. As is Zhang Ziyi.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  18. #1838
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,762
    In an unrelated event, I saw 2010, the sequel to 2001 and it's actually pretty good. Helen Mirren as a Russkie is enjoyable. The film is quite good, it's similar to 2001 in it's mix of terror and technobabble. Thus Spake Zarathustra is played at some point.
    The best part are the backgrounds, they are full of stars...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  19. #1839
    The Tenant (Polanski)

    A forgotten gem, in my opinion.
    "Oh, evolution. It wasn't meant for everyone."

  20. #1840
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,762
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    [*]Butterfly and Sword - batshit insane wire-fu with michelle yeoh and donnie yen, good fun.
    Holy Ra! Batshit insane is an understatement.
    Decapitations, bodies just exploding, people just passing through others, iron footbals, human arrows, mooks impaled in bamboo, dick jokes, fart jokes, this film has it all.
    It hits the ground running, and the wonky sound effects almost made me give up at first, but form the 30min mark it hit the Zen spot. The story is badly paced and sometimes forgotten, but there is an interesting story ... somewhere. The same script could easily make a very different film if they toned down the battles.
    There is an hidden gem here.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •