Page 95 of 169 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 3363
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Don't watch 12 Years a Slave unless you feel like losing all faith in humanity. Man that's a depressing movie.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Don't watch 12 Years a Slave unless you feel like losing all faith in humanity. Man that's a depressing movie.
    As someone who has no faith in humanity, that looks like the perfect film for my Christmas Eve. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Okay Heroic Trio 1 and 2 are going on my list. (Quite aside from anything else, I'm always interested in a bit of body horror.)

Thanks to Somini et al in this thread I've accrued a stockpile of wuxia and Kurosawa films to see (several for the first time) over the chrismtas break...
    Don't forget Anita Mui sings the theme song. This video is full of SPOILERS, it's the best I can get.

Just wow.
    Last edited by somini; 19-12-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

While we are on the subject of depressing movie, I would recommend As I Lay Dying. I don't read the book so I don't know how well it adapt into a movie. It also use splitscreen in some scenes which I don't expect to happen and they manage to use it repeatedly without making it lame. It also got James Franco in it which I quite like.

The Hobbit : Desolation of Smaug, this is something I expected to be good this Christmas and it was mediocre at best. Oh well, at least they still have one more in the bag.

Probably the biggest surprise for me this Christmas is Frozen (because the trailer that I watch is so awful, the one where there is a snowman and a reindeer). The story itself is quite different from most of Disney's works and the musical part is superior to Tangled. Don't spoil yourself if you haven't watched it yet and don't be late, there is a "Get a Horse" short before the movie start

I don't think anyone writes better prose than Faulkner. Then again... I don't know how you would even begin to turn Faulkner into a movie without losing most of what makes his work so special.

Me, I haven't watched a movie in quite some time. I probably should but there has been nothing inspiring me to change that in 2013.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Caught Byzantium last night. I found it to be a really interesting movie, as it touched on some pretty dark stuff (re: rape) without making a mockery of it. The Acting in it was really strong as well, though the ending was a wee-bit of a disappointment (you get a pony, and you get a pony!), but it certainly wasn't bad enough to ruin the movie.

I would definitely recommend it if you don't mind a bit of the supernatural, and aren't put off by some of the touchy subject matter.

C-C-C-COMBO!

Went and saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in 3D last night. It was pretty amazing, the last 3D movie I saw was Journey to the Center of the Earth (imdb tells me that came out in 2008) which left me with sore eyes and a bit of a headache. The 3D in The Hobbit didn't have that effect at all though, I came away feeling as well as I did when I arrived.

It also looked really amazing, the 48fps did make the movie feel a lot more fluid and grounded, and it made the action scenes really awesome to follow. It was a bit jarring for the first 15 minutes however,and it did make it feel less like a regular movie, but that's a happy trade off for not inducing a headache. And I think if more movies were to go the way of 48fps you would stop noticing the "Movie magic" that people claim 24fps brings.

As far as reviews of the content go, the first third or so seemed a bit muddled, but the rest of the movie was solid, and the scenes with Smaug were incredible. He's now easily my favorite character in all the movies/series, and Bilbo's flattery of him was equally brilliant, I've not read any of the books though so I can't give a comparison.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    One Piece Film Z

Not sure why I even bothered watching it. All OP movies I saw were dreadful and I had zero expectations. Long story short OPFZ fails. It was like all OP movies I remember - long, boring, predictable and lacking "soul"( can throw in "mysoginistic" too since we're on RPS). No way to save that with fluid animation.

Can't say I ever loved One Piece but I have some good memories of watching it in 2007-2008 up to 200- or 300-something episode. Before the powerlevels raised to ridiclous levels it was much better than majority of contemporary shounens imo, cheap like all of them and with plenty of cringeworthy stuff but still imaginative and fun to watch some of the time. I had to use ffwd often though.

PS. I forgot how much imagery in One Piece looks like it's ripped straight from Warhammer 40k, intentionally or not I don't know
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It also looked really amazing, the 48fps did make the movie feel a lot more fluid and grounded, and it made the action scenes really awesome to follow. It was a bit jarring for the first 15 minutes however,and it did make it feel less like a regular movie, but that's a happy trade off for not inducing a headache. And I think if more movies were to go the way of 48fps you would stop noticing the "Movie magic" that people claim 24fps brings.
    I think all action movies should be in 48fps. In first Hobbit (didn't watched the second one yet) in goblin's cave scene where all these wooden constructions are collapsing, you can literally count every wooden board (if you're fast enough to count to 100 within few seconds) and see them all clearly.
    It's nice opposition to some blurred as ass 3D movies I've seen, like Clash of Titans (or Revenge of Titans? second one anyway) where some scenes was only indistinguishable blurred mess, like someone throw up vomits on Jackson Pollock paintings and then flush it all in toilet, where you couldn't see anything. That was terrible.

Don Jon. My first experience didn't go so well. I watch it on TV while the family is around and the first few minutes prompt me to press stop immediately. Now I've watched it, it surprisingly good and funny. There are some repeated jokes and scenes but if you can get by that and the topic its a fun comedy (or dramedy, I guess). Just don't watch it while kids are around.

Looking forward to Saving Mr. Banks, Tom Hanks is always great to watch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Predator 3D. Amazing fun and one of the better 3D conversions out there! McTiernan shot most of this movie with objects or foliage blocking the foreground and the camera is mostly pointed up. The result: a lot of depth, especially in the jungle, and a lot of light. Unfortunately the grain was cleaned up so it has a strange plastic look.

2012. Nobody does destruction better than Emmerich. I forgot how spectacular this movie is. It's also hilariously mean-spirited. Man, I can't wait for the Independence Day sequels!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Much Ado About Nothing - This is absolutely charming and funny and perfect for a christmas eve viewing since it warms you up and gives you that ok maybe I will be nice to people glow. I never thought that Shakespeare could be funny since I would have thought the whole language barrier thing would prevent me from getting the jokes, but Joss Wheadon has gotten actors that can deliver these lines with the right amount of wit and also I was able to get them(also good that it was subtitled so I was able to read along if I was having trouble understanding). It is basically the template that all Rom-Coms have followed but it is also a lot better then a lot of rom-coms, it allows you to care for the characters that when the big dramatic turn happens and everything goes dark and serious you actually really care and want everything to be alright at the end.

Also those cop characters are probably the funniest and most bemusing characters i've ever watched...

Recommended!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Short featurette on the making of gravity: -

For those who were wondering about how they made it
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Pretty sums up what I thought about The Raid, yesterday
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    That's a great find Voon, the person who made this did a lot of neat claymation shorts. My personal favourite is his take on Evil Dead 2.

I watch The Raid in a studio with kids in it. I just laugh when the parents complained how violent the movie is.

Contagion
    is on TV this afternoon. Probably one of the best movie about virus and vaccination. Great cast, believable story, and its very consistent. So much better than that Korean film Flu which sacrifice consistency for drama among other things.

The Internship seems to be like a two-hour ad with gigantic sign flashing ~*JOIN THE GOOGLE INTERSHIP NOW! WE ARE TOTALLY AWESOME LIKE TOTALLAY*~ to college students watching this. But at the same time, it doesn't because, this is one of most hilarious, fun movie I've ever watched this year and it just blew my expectations away. I thought I'll just be watching some two old guys doing some dumb slapstick comedy on screen and failing miserably at it but no. Vaughn and Wilson did managed to find some chemistry together in this and it just sorta clicked.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    That's a great find Voon, the person who made this did a lot of neat claymation shorts. My personal favourite is his take on Evil Dead 2.

That's Lee Hardcastle for you, man. And he did The Thing with Pingu too even it was taken down. it wasn't hard to find, though
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Network Hub
    In preparation for the new Hobbit film I recently got around to seeing the first one.

.... I am no longer interested in the new Hobbit film.

Haha, same here. It just... dragged to much I guess. Same with LOTR, watched the first, and stopped there.

(Though Ill admit the Hobbit's Gollum word-games scene was great)
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    47 Ronin was a bit of a let down. It follows the legend decently. The tattooed dutch pirate show in all the ads and posters is in the movie for like 15 seconds. No final showdown vs big samurai.

You are better off watching or re-watching 13 Assassins if you need some samurai epic.

I guess the role was good for the actor that is Keeanu Reeves.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    You are better off watching or re-watching 13 Assassins if you need some samurai epic.
    Or Seven Samurai, for that matter.