Page 106 of 140 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 2791
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I watched Indie Game - The Movie.

Tommy Refenes comes off like a massive asshole.
    Phil Fish seems like less of an asshole than most people make him out to be.
    Edmund McMillen seems like an alright dude.
    Jonathan Blow seems like a very uninteresting person.

That's about all I managed to take away from the movie.

*EDIT*

If I walk into a cinema and Guardians of the Galaxy is the following for 2 hours I'd be happy.

Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 19-02-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Guardians Of The Galaxy - Trailer 1
    Nine Inch Nails and David Hasselhoff. This is amazing.

Second Marvel movie to use NIN music in trailers lol

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    In The Loop is like someone taking The Thick of It, roll it around in some sort of carrot-shaped thing and cram it up my ass, followed by a stick, followed by a bigger, meaner carrot. It's like that Merovingian scene about swearing in French, but in Scottish, and more like Charlie and the Shitolate Factory or The Wizard of Oz or Debussy or fucking Jaffa Cakes.
    Ignoring my feeble attempts to create a self-demonstrating franken-review, this is a even more cynical and dark take on The Thick of It (tToI), which I only now got around to revere. While the tToI is something rooted in British politics, but left vague enough that could happen anywhere, this is a more specific thing. When a character in tToI fucks up, the worst thing it happens is a journalist prints a punny headline and Tucker has to invent another male genitalia metaphor. When moved to upper echelons, particularly with the US bringing out the banhammer on Qurac, it begs the question: what if this quibbling over bullshit is all that happens in politics, even when you go up to the UN? What if the rare people with principles are completely destroyed by the incumbent System? How does anything get done, is it chance alone?
    It's truly nihilistic. Not sure if watching this makes you despise the world or it's the opposite.
    As for the more "objective" matters of a feature film, we have a script as tight as some ass cheeks, played by an unblemished cast, with some familiar faces outside tToI regulars. Even though is just people talking, it manages to grip you by the throat and then throw such dry and cutting humour, that looks like Nightmare on Dehumidified Street with bagpipes.
    Just don't go near it if you are in any way offended by coarse language, you prick. What the fuck's wrong with you then?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Wrapped up the Wong Kar Wai trilogy.
    In The Mood For Love is really great. Maggie Chung wears a different dress every scene. Tony Leung looks broody. The plot is predictable, but the film doesn't suffer for it. Seeing a film like this is like sipping tea in some warm place with a great view. Soothing and relaxing.

Days of Being Wild is the best of the bunch, and features what seems to be an Author Avatar that gets shafted for being a Casanova. Luckily, Andy Lau is there to help (randomly kill some guys).

The music in the entire trilogy is amazing. Classical cuban tunes don't get old.

The Rock was on TV yesterday. Probably my favorite Michael Bay film (I should watch Pain and Gain next). The action sequence is great, all the cast are superb (well except for some FBI agents) and it's basically a spin off/fan fiction James Bond movie with Sean Connery reprising his role, Nicholas Cage is Q and Ed Harris is, I don't know, another Bond Villain I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rovac View Post
    The Rock was on TV yesterday. Probably my favorite Michael Bay film (I should watch Pain and Gain next). The action sequence is great, all the cast are superb (well except for some FBI agents) and it's basically a spin off/fan fiction James Bond movie with Sean Connery reprising his role, Nicholas Cage is Q and Ed Harris is, I don't know, another Bond Villain I guess.
    Bah. I found it lousy at best. That shower scene was copied for Modern Warfare 2.
    The best Michael Bay film is definitively The Island.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Cuban Fury. It's, well, it's great fun! It's certainly not going to win any awards with its painstakingly unoriginal content, buuuuut, it doesn't miss a beat for soft drama or comedy and it's very silly at entertaining its own idea with the pursuit of just making you have fun watching it. And I did. And so did the entire screen's audience, laughing our heads away pretty much consistently. It's very British, but in the best ways it can be. So good fun all around.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 23-02-2014 at 10:30 PM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Pans Labyrinth - Second time viewing it, showing the girlfriend it. Still has the ability to disturb and catch you off guard with its fairy tale like sensibility and its horrible fascist characters. I think I'm starting to understand what it is about, I think it kind of is about how stories are incredibly hopeful and give life to people one of the main things that the fascist say quite afew times is how they think fantiful stories are ridiculous and it should all be about cold logical things, thats why they don't seem to have life in the story just going through the motions, but the main character and even the rebels have stories the main character has the stories about fairies and how she is a princess, the rebels have stories about the ongoing war and how they might be saved from the fascists. Anyway really great movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovac View Post
    Speaking of ripping hearts, I just watched Justice League: War today. DC direct-to-video movies are nothing particularly special to me but I always liked them (spent too much time watching Justice League back in the day and Batman, Superman Animated series). I would even consider some of them to be good but this one is so bad. This one is based on The New 52 (basically reboot) continuity which probably screw everything I know about the characters. The script just plain bad and I cringe half the time. Also, almost everything explodes
    I felt the same way. Ironically, War was the first time I went into a modern DC animated movie without knowing the plot ahead of time (by virtue of having read it). And if this is what the New 52 is, I am kind of glad I haven't been reading it.

Basically every character is insanely unlikable, Darkseid has the depth of a piece of tissue paper, and holy crap is Wonder Woman's costume horrible (didn't they make her a new one that had pants and was actually kind of okay looking? What happened to that?).

Which is a shame, because the animated division did amazing work with Flashpoint. I actually liked the movie version of that a LOT more than the book. But, talking to my DC-reading fans, War was pretty faithful to the source material...
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    I saw Lemon Tree again recently and the experience was just as gratifying the second time around. It's one of those films that is just overflowing with subtleties to reward careful viewing. I was conscious of watching it from a different perspective too: the first time I watched it largely from a political perspective, whereas this time around -- probably because I was watching it with Mum -- I was far more conscious of the Israeli Defence Minister's wife and especially Selma as older women, their passions and frustrations within their respective social and societal contexts. Recommended.
    Last edited by Lethe; 24-02-2014 at 02:26 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Finally saw Gravity. Some really good scenes of panic and vertigo, but overall a typical terrible hollywood mechanic, with plenty of "action" forced in.
    Last edited by mouton; 24-02-2014 at 02:41 AM.

Network Hub
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who thought Gravity was elevated as much by its human themes as its unprecedented verisimilitude.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who thought Gravity was elevated as much by its human themes as its unprecedented verisimilitude.
    The feeling of panic, loneliness and helplessness was excellent. Dialogues and cheesy monologues were not.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    The feeling of panic, loneliness and helplessness was excellent. Dialogues and cheesy monologues were not.
    This. Might as well see that film about the couple lost in the sea, I don't remember the name

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Open Water.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just watched Solomon Kane for the first time. Ever. Didn't even know it existed until a couple of days ago. For fans of both fantasy and characters such as Geralt, Riddick or even the Mark Lawrence novels (Broken Empire series) I highly recommend Solomon Kane.

Funny fact: I only discovered this movie because somehow, in my mind, I horribly misquoted Warren Spector, thinking for some reason he said that gaming needed a 'Solomon Kane' moment, as opposed to a "Citizen Kane" moment. Fortunately, it worked out pretty well, seeing how Solomon Kane is rather a cool character and the movie was pretty well done. I may now go back and read the books as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    I like the dialogues and monologues because they contribute to a theme which resonates with me.
    Life in space is impossible is not only about the vacuum the movie is set in.
    As a movie about snapping out of depression, finding the courage to go on despite horrible odds and finding the serenity to accept the inevitable, Gravity is pretty great.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Just watched Solomon Kane for the first time. Ever. Didn't even know it existed until a couple of days ago. For fans of both fantasy and characters such as Geralt, Riddick or even the Mark Lawrence novels (Broken Empire series) I highly recommend Solomon Kane.

Funny fact: I only discovered this movie because somehow, in my mind, I horribly misquoted Warren Spector, thinking for some reason he said that gaming needed a 'Solomon Kane' moment, as opposed to a "Citizen Kane" moment. Fortunately, it worked out pretty well, seeing how Solomon Kane is rather a cool character and the movie was pretty well done. I may now go back and read the books as well.
    Heh, Netflix keeps suggesting that to me and I keep ignoring it for some reason. It is weird, I actually really like Purefoy but I also acknowledge he is in some horrifyingly bad stuff (but is invariably enjoyable in them). This is enough of a push to make me give the movie a shot. Thanks
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Heh, Netflix keeps suggesting that to me and I keep ignoring it for some reason. It is weird, I actually really like Purefoy but I also acknowledge he is in some horrifyingly bad stuff (but is invariably enjoyable in them). This is enough of a push to make me give the movie a shot. Thanks
    Hope you enjoy it. It has some dark moments, and some gore, though its not too terrible. All in all, an enjoyable dark fantasy romp, in a film. We don't get enough of those.

I recently watched Homefront.
    It's a nice entry in the Jason Statham Punches and Kicks people genre.
    The story is mostly an excuse but well done, except for one detail that I found to stupid and kinda ruined it for me.
    Te action is well done, this is one of the good Statham punches people moviesm not like Parker, that was mostly boring and had Jennifer Lopez in it.

If you like the genre is a good way to spend an hour and a half with some dumb action.