Page 108 of 168 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 3358
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Love and Honor wraps up the Yoji Yamada's trilogy. It's as good as the previous ones, albeit in a more smaller scale. Can't believe the actress that plays Kayo had no other credits before this.

Tropa de Elite 2 is even better that the first, shifting the scathing social critique to a higher plane. It's also much more nihilist, because how can things change when the problems run so deep in the social fabric?
    It also works better as a film. The characters are moderately developed, tension is created, et al. Almost makes me wish to go see the Robocop remake...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The Yoji Yamada trilogy of samurai movies are such sublime pieces of work. The Twilight Samurai is one of my favourite films ever.

The slow burning boil of the whole film is just so wonderfully done. The way it erupts in the ferocity of the end fight and his welcome home made me burst into tears.

Fucking invisible ninjas cutting invisible onions all of a sudden....

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    The Yoji Yamada trilogy of samurai movies are such sublime pieces of work. The Twilight Samurai is one of my favourite films ever.

The slow burning boil of the whole film is just so wonderfully done. The way it erupts in the ferocity of the end fight and his welcome home made me burst into tears.

Fucking invisible ninjas cutting invisible onions all of a sudden....
    Indeed. Invisible smell-less onions.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG TO RESPOND?!

I was whacking invisible onions out of the air all by myself!

:`(

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG TO RESPOND?!

I was whacking invisible onions out of the air all by myself!

:`(
    I was sleeping! Cutting onions is hard work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Closer to the Moon, starring Vera Farmiga and Mark Strong. I'm pretty sure most of you won't see it until it hits VOD and Blu-Ray, because it's a Romanian movie.

It's a slick and hilarious black comedy inspired by a true story.
    In 1959 a group of high-ranking Communist Party members pull off a bank heist by pretending they're shooting a movie. They're all Jews and former war heroes, members of the Party since the days it barely had 1000 members. The currency is worthless - in Communist Romania you couldn't buy a house, a car was hard to obtain, and the money had no value outside the country. Why they did it is still a mystery.
    They're caught and the authorities decide to shoot a propaganda movie. A reenactment of the heist, starring the five prisoners. Then they will be executed.
    This actually happened.

In Closer to the Moon, the gang seizes control of the production and the story becomes a surreal farce. It's really funny and even a bit heartwarming, despite the looming executions. Vera Farmiga is especially good at annoying the bureaucrats by acting like a diva.
    The trailer makes it look a lot more serious than it actually is.

Some of you are probably familiar with shitty Romanian movies like 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days and the rest of the awfully boring flicks which somehow keep winning awards at Cannes, Berlin and other clueless festivals. I suspect the juries believe Romania is a grey wasteland filled with Stalinist cliches and those awards are given for the novelty (and probably shock) factor. You can't imagine how refreshing it is to see a movie made here with actual production values, colours, humor and skilled direction.

Here's a Variety review.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Sounds like a Romanian version of Argo...but definitely sounds interesting.

Watched Lost Highway again, surprised how slow it was I don't remember it being this slow last time I watched. Oh well pretty moody and very intriguing as a very very weird movie. Lots of naked women I have to say. I think I kind of know whatits trying to be about and I do love the Lynchisms of creepy weird guy, disturbing bits with weird music and curtains that definitely do not belong in any home.

But this scene always:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    The first twenty minutes of Lost Highway... Just wow. It's one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.

Over the weekend I watched Boogeyman, the entirely forgotten 2005 ghosty film. The gf and I have an ironic enjoyment of Bones (which has turned more to a test of endurance in recent years) and Emily Deschenal was in it. Since she's become such a dreadful actress in her own show, we were curious to see how well she did in another role.

Turns out it's barely any kind of role at all. The film is so utterly barebones that there isn't enough personality to define the lead (Barry Watson) let alone anyone else. His main defining trait is pretty much just, "scared of closed doors". This does lead to a hilariously awkward flirtatious scene between Watson and Deschenal on their first meeting, since there's nothing to hang on to either character.

There is no atmosphere, the director simply adds a few spooky noises from his spooky noises soundboard 20-30 seconds before each jump scare. The narrative isn't strong enough to carry it, the characters certainly aren't. I've not watched such a bland horror movie in a long, long time.

In short, don't watch Boogeyman the entirely forgotten 2005 ghosty film.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Its a shame Bones has become a standard family show. It was so good during the early years. Its so preachy now its nauseating.

Ugh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    The first twenty minutes of Lost Highway... Just wow. It's one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.

Yeah totally the times they watch the video tapes are probably the most creepy bits I've experienced and it completely sucks you in as well.

Upstream Color
    From the director of Primer. Need I say more? Because I won't. Trying to figure out just what the hell is going on is half the movie. I guess it's about identity (theft)... and parasites and pigs. Yeah.
    If you like Malick, Lynch or perhaps even Cronenberg this one might be for you. It also looks and sounds fantastic. Highly recommended.

Also, "I have to apologize. I was born with a disfigurement where my head is made of the same material as the sun." is probably my new favourite line.

Cargo

A Swiss(!) science-fiction flick. With a female lead. Set on a derelict spaceship. With a shady crew. And then the titular cargo is not quite what it seemed to be. So far so familiar and it's really the first 2/3 of the movie that's worth watching. It's really quite tense and well done, if not particularly innovative. Unfortunately, by the last act it suddenly gets way too ambitious for its script and budget, and plot holes start piling up. Overall not as good as it could have been and dragged down from okay to meh by the poor ending.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Cargo
    I didn't think anyone besides me would ever watch this. I agree with your review; Cargo has some interesting ideas, but the execution is sorely lacking. Unless you feel it's your patriotic duty to support the Swiss film industry there's no real reason to bother with it.

During my holiday, I rewatched Inglourious Basterds. I love that movie.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    300: Rise of an Empire is better than the first one. I don't know what I expected. About one minute in I realised this is going to be a wild ride.
    This Noam Murro guy came out of nowhere and out-Snydered Zack Snyder. Eva Green is incredibly awesome. The story takes place before, during and after the first movie and it's way better. I really, really liked the backstories for Xerxes and Eva Green - fantasy at its best.
    Somehow it feels similar to 300 while doing its own thing. Most of the movie is about fantasy naval battles and I've never seen anything like this before. The Persian fleet riding to battle on top of a Roland Emmerich tsunami... who even imagines such awesome visuals?
    Can't wait for the next sequel!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I did not feel it was as good as the first. Other than the main characters, the sub characters were barely developed and easily forgotten. It felt almost forced to cut to some dialogue so they had a part. And they reused the Father/Son thing again. The flow of 300 went better and you got to know the characters better and more of them. I did not really get to know or care about the Athenian advisor, guy. Scarred guy got a couple scenes. His son. Main character. That was it.

The blood splatter in your face seemed over used. Have to rewatch 300 to see how it was again.

I still thought it was a good movie and you highlighted a lot of the points I enjoyed (Xerxes, Artemisia, naval battles, visuals). I was disappointed Artemisia did not have more melee battle after playing up her combat abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Watched Lost Highway again ...[/video]
    Ooh just watched the video, and I totally want to watch it now. Seems exactly the kind of mess-with-your-head flick I'd love...
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Mad Detective, a psychological thriller from Hong Kong in 2007.

Hong Kong police inspector Chan Kwai Bun was forced into retirement after cutting and presenting his right ear (very bloody scene, you've been warned) in front of a retiring assistant police chief, Chan was therefore classified as mentally ill. Yet Chan used to be a cop with great reputation that no case couldn't be resolved. Of course, you would expect such detective to use unorthodox approaches. Six year prior to the main story, there was a rookie cop, Ho Ka On, assigned to Chan's team for two days before that bloody scene. Six years later (i.e. main story), Ho had been promoted to senior inspector of West Kowloon's Organized Crime unit and had one such a case meeting its dead end. It's partially an internal investigation. Two detectives from another unit, in an operation 18-month ago busting some steel theft of South-Asian, went south and one of the detective Wong something went missing, with his assigned revolver. Then, within that 18 months, three robberies, two with people murdered. It was confirmed that bullets were all from the missing police revolver. It seemed the South-Asian theft killed the detective Wong and took his revolver to commit more crime. Yet, as a standard procedure, the detective of the pair who made it back, Ko Chi Wai was inevitably suspected for being involved in the possible homicide.

So Inspector Ho came to his former boss Chan for help. Chan explained to Ho of what special talent Chan got to bring those criminals in the dark back to justice: he could see the "ghost(s) in the heart" of any man. Say, he saw a girl being tempted by an MK girl into committing shoplifting. That MK girl was exactly a ghost inside that girl's heart. It is not specified in the movie whether this is supernatural, or it simply is inbuilt in one's characteristic. Typical style of the movie producer Johnnie To. When Chan and Ho stalked Ko, Chan saw 7 ghosts inside Ko. Yes, 7, you got it, right? Seven Sins. (Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman should be proud, thanks to you fine pair we all know what Seven Deadly Sins are.) Chan was almost certain Ko murdered Wong and the other people, but for what? Why he murdered in two robberies but not the remaining one? Can this new partnership Chan and Ho brought the culprit to justice?

One unique thing if you can notice, all cops involved had been serving in the force before the 1997 turnover, and therefore when they betrayed or be betrayed, they betrayed or be betrayed by friends of many year. All their revolvers' serial numbers were code "RHKP" before the numbers. "R" stands for Royal. "RHKP" is therefore "Royal Hong Kong Police", and the case occurred after "R" was removed from the title "HKP".
    Last edited by squirrel; 16-03-2014 at 02:50 AM.

Network Hub
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

I haven't seen a film this much in love with its time and place since Deep Blue Sea. TTSS drips with the murky atmosphere of Cold War espionage in 1970s London. Yes, it's slow; yes, the dialogue is sparse; no, there are no action scenes; yes, it's confusing -- all of these things are deliberate. If you can't handle it, go back to Jason Bourne. Special praise for Gary Oldman's performance in the lead role as George Smiley, who I don't think ever actually smiles and doesn't speak for the first fifteen minutes. An oddly celebratory final scene is the film's only discordant note. Perhaps the greatest praise one can give the film is that it makes watching Old White Men interesting again.

TTSS is the second adaptation of a John Le Carre novel I've seen and been impressed by, the first being The Constant Gardener. I really should get to reading some of his novels.
    Last edited by Lethe; 16-03-2014 at 04:52 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think that "Tinker, Tailor(..)" was kinda too confusing. It was probably the only movie I've ever watched and didn't had almost any idea what's going on here and trust me, I don't watch only some simple action films. Maybe if I would read the book before watching it would be more understandable.

And speaking of simple action films - I've rewatched The Raid: Redemption few days ago. It's all about shooting and punching bad guys, but it's fairly realistic and so fucking INTENSE. It makes almost any other action movies feel sloppy and slow as hell.

Network Hub
    ^ It's certainly not an easy film to follow -- on several occasions it was only well after a scene had concluded that I was able to contextualise it -- but I'm sure the effect was intentional: the disjointed narrative reinforces the murky world the film depicts, a world in which information is key and the characters never have enough of it. I suspect it would reward a second viewing, but that's a tough ask -- tougher than usual, on account of the slow pace -- if you didn't enjoy the first time around.

I actually appreciated the way it didn't feel the need to hammer the viewer on every point. One example that springs to mind is when Ricki (the young 'wet work' man) asks Smiley to get 'the woman' out, when we've already seen her shot in a previous scene, and Smiley is aware of it. "I'll do everything I can," he says. There's nothing in the dialogue, no external cues to suggest that Smiley has just basically lied to Ricki, the moment rests entirely on the viewer having been paying attention.
    Last edited by Lethe; 16-03-2014 at 05:10 PM.