Page 130 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 2891
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Am I the only one who LIKED the Doom movie? It was a fun bit of sci-fi in the vein of Aliens with a lot of ultra violence, The First Person Sequence, and it had The Rock VS Karl Urban (who tends to make any sci-fi thing better due to his commitment to roles)

The Rundown was pretty shitty though.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I thought it was okay but not as rad as the Doom movie that I have in my head which is Escape From Precinct 13 with demons. Which is totally different to Ghost Of Mars I assure you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Bernie - Well I thought that was disturbing probably more then the film thought it was but yeah. To not go into spoilers its kind of fake documentry but still got a film bit where you go around the title character Bernie as he is loved through the town and he becomes friends with a horrible woman but with lots of money. Then it happens and it becomes a lot more disturbing and yeah by the end of it you feel very uncomfortable because the guy does seem very nice.

Spoilers: So yeah he shoots the lady but the most disturbing part of the movie for me is when he afterwards just switches from oh god what have I done to im just going to pretend that shes still alive give a lot of wxcuses which everyone believes because she was a horrible woman and spend the money(though curiously not on himself) I mean before hand it was a little weird because you kind of got the feeling he was going with her for her money and he was a bit to nice. Yeah I was troubled because I didnt know if what I was seeing was someone who legitimately was scared of what he did and just pretended it didn't happen tk keep sane or someone who just had no emotion throughout and was acting very well.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I remember almost nothing about the Doom movie, but I think it was probably about what I expected a movie based on Doom to be. Of course, it was slightly sad that it was based on Doom 3 rather than doom.. but I doubt they'd have had the budget to do one based on Doom anyway.

I remember the first person sequence being pretty cool.. at least in a Doom kinda way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Am I the only one who LIKED the Doom movie? It was a fun bit of sci-fi in the vein of Aliens with a lot of ultra violence, The First Person Sequence, and it had The Rock VS Karl Urban (who tends to make any sci-fi thing better due to his commitment to roles)

The Rundown was pretty shitty though.
    I liked the movie for what it was. It's certainly not the worst video game movie ever and if it wasn't associated with a video game I think it would've gotten more positive reviews.

Saw 22 Jump Street over the weekend. I liked it a lot. It was as good as the first one, maybe a little better and I liked the amount of 4th wall jokes they had.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

It was my birthday yesterday so I watched some movies and did nothing of value.

Transcendence: It looks and feels a lot like Inception which is not surprising considering it's the directorial debut from the Inception cinematographer Wally Pfister. It's absolutely gorgeous. That's where the good parts end, though. It has Johnny Depp and Morgan Freeman in it which at some point in time may have been a reason to look forward to it but these days those two got to be the biggest sell-outs in Hollywood. The remaining actors are not very good either. It seems like everybody would rather do something more interesting. There's also the script and much like Inception, the more you think about it the less sense it makes. Top that off with poor dialogue and you get a very mediocre and very typical Hollywood movie.

Grand Budapest Hotel: I actually haven't had much exposure to Wes Anderson so I can't comment on his past work. It's one of the best looking films I have ever seen, truly. It's funny, it's charming and it's well acted. Highly recommended.

Snowpiercer: An odd film. It's a like cross of 1984, Bioshock and Transarctica. At its core it's an action movie but a pretty smart one at that. There's so many great scenes! Good acting and great soundtrack as well. Especially noteworthy: Tilda Swinton playing the most punchable person in existence. This has to be at least an Oscar nomination for her. Overall a very good movie.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    In the 21st century, mankind is being ravaged by the greenhouse effect. A last-ditch effort to counteract it is designed and executed. It works far too well.
    Centuries if not millennia later, the planet is entirely covered in a thick, opaque cloud layer. Giant wolf packs roam the frozen wastes, and the mammoth has re-emerged from the elephant stock. Mankind ekes out a living in a few handfuls of settlements, connected by a network of massive armored trains. The network in turn is in the hands of the gargantuan Viking Union, which is merciless towards threats to its power. A few radicals, though, are willing to attempt a change, and managing to hijack a train of the Union, the Transarctica, they set out in search of the "sun".
    Just how many of this stories are there? Is this a cliché already? This is insane!
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Akira and what the heck I've been watching for all these years? I still can't believe this was an 80s movie. Animation's top notch and incredibly detailed. The movements and all are just smooth and almost natural. I found out that Koji Morimoto was behind a lot of these and I'm actually familliar to one of his works prior. The story though, I'm not sure why they want to kidnap a boy and conduct some weird, dangerous, literally world-altering experiment so suddenly. They have been doing this for the past 30 years and now they're taking this kid as a fresh subject? Could've gotten a few more for what it's worth. What is really the rebels' motive for taking psionic kids anyway? I should probably take another two hours just to understand. 2020 Tokyo Olympics is gonna be horrifying btw.

If it's not the visuals that impresses me in this movie, it's the score. Nothing synth-heavy but strangely exotic for a cyberpunk film
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Akira and what the heck I've been watching for all these years? I still can't believe this was an 80s movie. Animation's top notch and incredibly detailed. The movements and all are just smooth and almost natural. I found out that Koji Morimoto was behind a lot of these and I'm actually familliar to one of his works prior. The story though, I'm not sure why they want to kidnap a boy and conduct some weird, dangerous, literally world-altering experiment so suddenly. They have been doing this for the past 30 years and now they're taking this kid as a fresh subject? Could've gotten a few more for what it's worth. What is really the rebels' motive for taking psionic kids anyway? I should probably take another two hours just to understand. 2020 Tokyo Olympics is gonna be horrifying btw.

If it's not the visuals that impresses me in this movie, it's the score. Nothing synth-heavy but strangely exotic for a cyberpunk film
    It's probably more fleshed out in the manga. Still worth it for the visuals alone.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post

They tried to squeeze a six volume, 2000 page manga into a 90 minute movie. You're bound to leave out a lot of details. The audio-visual experience is indeed top notch however.

Network Hub
    Hot Fuzz was a little too long, but such an ingenious and heartfelt love letter to all of cinema can be forgiven its one failing.

Could've guessed. I don't think Otomo would manage to squeeze that much of his then unfinished manga at the time. Heard he left out so many parts that explains much of what he's trying to cram into. Two hours is still a huge chunk for an animated movie
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Since we're on the subject of The Rock, I just got back from Hercules and kinda liked it. Funnily enough it might just be The Rock's most violent movie. And who doesn't love themselves some John Hurt? The trailer sucked, so I feared it was going to be another Clash of the Titans (probably the worst film I've seen in cinemas since it's release in 2010), but it was a bit of a bait and switch. Still, they must've done the last minute save at least six times. Dial it back a bit guys.

Kevin Sorbo was not even asked to do a cameo. Kevin Sorbo is displeased by this insolence.

All the good stuff you mentioned happens in the last 20 minutes, everything leading up to that was awful.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 25-07-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Kevin Sorbo was not even asked to do a cameo. Kevin Sorbo is displeased by this insolence.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post

All the good stuff you mentioned happens in the last 20 minutes, everything leading up to that was awful.
    Also those 2 things are shit. Wrestling in a Doom film? and the FPS sequence was just annoying.

Karl Urban was good, this was back in the days whenever The Rock was in a film they added wrestling shit (or inexplicably Aliens vs Predator). Wrestling was only amusing when I was 9 and I just don't get why people find it amusing.

Each to their own though I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Also those 2 things are shit. Wrestling in a Doom film? and the FPS sequence was just annoying.

Karl Urban was good, this was back in the days whenever The Rock was in a film they added wrestling shit (or inexplicably Aliens vs Predator). Wrestling was only amusing when I was 9 and I just don't get why people find it amusing.

I hadn't seen wrestling until I was too old to find it amusing. The upsides of a sheltered childhood.

Ontopic, I caught The International on TV and rewatched it. Still holds up, even when you know the twists. The speeches still carry the same gravitas. I literally can't point a single fault is this film, and it's not because it's so Okay it's Average, it truly is amazing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post

Wasn't so much wrassling as it was Matrix-inspired brawling (a few throws, but mostly grabbing someone to block a punch and then punching back while having loud sound effects). If anything, DOOM marked one of the first Rock movies to drop the wrassling schtick. There are a few throws, but those are largely the standard "super strong guy fights" that has been in movies and TV for decades.
    Although, I guess you could argue the bit where he was choking The Rock with a guardrail to be wrestling inspired.

REALLY shitty video that is the first youtube result https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCKu7aaa9Zk
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Mad Max first look:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wasn't so much wrassling as it was Matrix-inspired brawling (a few throws, but mostly grabbing someone to block a punch and then punching back while having loud sound effects). If anything, DOOM marked one of the first Rock movies to drop the wrassling schtick. There are a few throws, but those are largely the standard "super strong guy fights" that has been in movies and TV for decades.
    Although, I guess you could argue the bit where he was choking The Rock with a guardrail to be wrestling inspired.

REALLY shitty video that is the first youtube result https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCKu7aaa9Zk
    There was the whole should to shoulder pick up and toss... little wrestling in there.

Then it mixed in some Matrix, Asian Martial Arts flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Mad Max first look:
    We should create a trailer thread.
    I refuse to watch trailers before seeing films, I'm a consciously objector. I'm hyped already, just don't screw up!