Page 132 of 168 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 3358
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    You know it's serious when the font is replaced with a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I blame all this on JG Man!
    I just noticed this. I don't know what to say...not the first time someone has said that, I guess!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalk View Post
    Strike Commando is First Blood part 2 to the power of two! On less than half the budget too. Yep, everything that Rambo did our hero Ransom (played by Reb Brown) has to do twice which includes being betrayed, electrocuted on a wire rack (part of a training montage of different tortures), blowing up boats and racking up twice the body count with the bonus of people stumbling about on fire which is about the only thing it's got over Rambo. Well, that and the poster:

Look at that fuckin' gun. Christ.
    Is that...is that a mini-minigun with scope + grenade launcher attachment? How is this not in a game yet?

All barrels blazing at once. It's also got a pistol grip and a belt that feeds who the hell knows where. It should be noted that it doesn't make an appearance in the film at all which is a tease. I bought the VHS specifically because I wanted Reb Brown shooting VC with his mini-minigun and blowing helicopters out of the sky firing rockets from his grenade attachment but they cheated me out of it.

But it's nowhere near the most ridiculous gun design I've seen, the one on the cover of Rebel Soldier takes the cake:

How?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Appleseed Alpha. I won't claim to be an Appleseed expert, but I think they got a number of things wrong. There are things that don't seem to fit events from earlier comics and movies, at least. More importantly, Deunan doesn't seem like Deunan (Tomb Raider chest enlargement syndrome aside).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If people want something to do while waiting for Mad Max: Fury Road, then Doomsday is an acceptable Mad Max clone.
    It's by Neil Marshall, who seems to be the master of making not-great-but-not-bad-british-versions-of-classic-movies-with-probably-a-tenth-of-the-budget.

It has the requisite 'people with crazy hair and face paint' and 'hero with a cool black car' and even manages the 'arena combat for a mad fantasy/future ruler'.
    Not mindblowing, but pretty fun.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0483607/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I just noticed this. I don't know what to say...not the first time someone has said that, I guess!
    That's OK. As long as nobody else watches Twin Peaks I'm good.

I caugh Dans la maison on TV and I must say it's amazing. The script is brilliantly written, a masterpiece, and the performances don't let down. Towards the end it kinda falls apart, but it's still very worth it.
    I have to agree with The Merovingian, even the most banal things when said in French gain a certain gravitas. At least for foreigners.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    A bunch (nearly all of) my friends have downloaded a copy of The Expendables 3 and watched it. It's not getting a cinema release for another two weeks, which means I've two weeks of trying to avoid hearing them all talking about it.

I know these movies are dumb, but they're fun. And the best way to experience them is in a cinema, with a loud sound system and on a big screen.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    You know I am not averse to The Expendables but really they are not fun they really are rubbish, the first one was soooo dull for what was supposed to be a cheesy action movie. And yes there was a lot of CGI!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Turns out Neil Marshall is also the go-to guy for Game of Thrones when there's a big battle.. who knew.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    They are fun though, at least I think so. They're stupid. They've bad jokes, lots of guns, lots of explosions. Lots of mediocre acting from action heros of days gone by. They've brought together names that have never worked before and even if they're just doing it for fun or a paycheck, it doesn't really matter because they're doing it. Just look at the list of names in the third one. No, none of these guys are at the prime of their careers but to see them all together is pretty damn good.

The second one is better than the first. I'm hoping the third manages to do the same again.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalk View Post
    All barrels blazing at once. It's also got a pistol grip and a belt that feeds who the hell knows where. It should be noted that it doesn't make an appearance in the film at all which is a tease. I bought the VHS specifically because I wanted Reb Brown shooting VC with his mini-minigun and blowing helicopters out of the sky firing rockets from his grenade attachment but they cheated me out of it.

But it's nowhere near the most ridiculous gun design I've seen, the one on the cover of Rebel Soldier takes the cake:

How?
    Amazing. I can't tell if that's the most advanced scope ever or a rpg launcher! And the size of the barrel is telling that it shoots ammo the size of golf balls! Maybe cricket balls?

I'm trying to figure out how he would use that stand when he wants to "snipe" someone. The gun would keep falling over forwards...? Maybe backwards if the scope+rpg launcher is heavy enough?
    Last edited by khaz; 30-07-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's scouncher, you can shoot RPG rounds from it or use it as a scope (just don't forget unload it first).

Prophecy by John Frankenheimer. I miss these days when horror movies weren't clones of 1-2 shitty concepts with blue tint filter slapped on top of digitally overprocessed footage of scare jumps. Meh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Blame Michael Bay...no really:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_Dunes

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Blame Michael Bay...no really:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_Dunes
    Friday the 13th? No subtitle, great.

Since my only exposition to it are those Yahtzee point-and-click games, is it worth it to see the original?

Network Hub
    Watched Banshee Chapter, a streaming Netflix conspiracy-theory horror movie. Some b-movie elements, sometimes poor acting, but they did their conspiracy theory homework, and there weren't gaping plot holes, so long as you're willing to accept the Lovecraftian premises. Kept me awake through it, and it's been weeks or months since a streaming Netflix movie did that.

After that, I started inventing my own conspiracy theory, which I decided to base on Greek myths about Crete, so then I needed a bit of research. Had never seen Bettany Hughes's The Ancient World before, but it, too, kept me awake for its nearly two hour running length-- and the Crete episode is just one of seven. Highly recommended for anyone else who is interested in Minoan Crete (lol), and it's free on youtube, at least in the US.
    Last edited by nate; 30-07-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Wrestling was only amusing when I was 9 and I just don't get why people find it amusing.

If that didn't even raise a smile then I can't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post

If that didn't even raise a smile then I can't help you.
    It's like The FP, but even more over the top.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Friday the 13th? No subtitle, great.

Since my only exposition to it are those Yahtzee point-and-click games, is it worth it to see the original?
    Yes, but it's probably not what you'd expect.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm not sure a 9 year old should be watching wrestling.

IMHO wrestling is only good when you first discover it. When you are impressed by the spectacle and the violence, and get caught up the the drama of the soap opera stories. The problem is that wrestling is basically repeating the same 3-4 stories endlessly, just changing the faces... so after a year or so the illusion gets broken, and seeing the same moves becomes less impressive than it was at first.

I got really into it for a year or two. then not.

I can't remember watching much wrestling on free to air TV in Australia so my exposure was mostly whatever Wrestlemania tapes I could get as a rental. I moved on to wrestling video games once they started getting really good.

I love shitty movies! 2020 Freedom Fighters, a way below average but way violent post apocalyptic western. It's Mad Max meets 1990: The Bronx Warriors with crucifixion, bar fights, a prison break, Indians on horseback and plenty of sweet knife kills all wrapped up in the typical ultra low budget Italian actionsploitation trappings (except it's not filmed in the Phillipines). Which probably makes it sound like the most exciting thing ever but it's kinda middling. The final kill is pretty awesome though. No crazy guns on the VHS cover unfortunately, just a guy with a bazooka facing down a Road Warriors reject with a bowgun both of whom are not appearing in this picture.