Page 136 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 3003
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    They got David Spade for Ultron so i'm expecting some amazingly evil shit in Avengers 2.
    James Spader. James Spader. James Spader.

David Spade was the skinny white guy who did movies with Chris Farley. James Spader was the liberal soapbox on Boston Legal. One belongs in Adam Sandler movies, and one can actually act. Ultron has the one that can act.

Also, Paul Bettany (voice of JARVIS) as Vision.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post

David Spade was the skinny white guy who did movies with Chris Farley. James Spader was the liberal soapbox on Boston Legal. One belongs in Adam Sandler movies, and one can actually act. Ultron has the one that can act.

I got excited with David Spade Ultron.
    Ultron, an insecure, wimpy but snarky death machine that just can't get a date suddenly finds himself in the most awkward situation.

High Plains Drifter
    post in progress

This just made me ridiculously excited about the next avengers movie

James Spader <3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I just watched Paprika. Some parts were deeply disturbing, but overall I found it pretty enjoyable. The cinematography is excellent. The narrative is less complex and incoherent than people give it credit for, and more strange. I also know I missed a bunch of cultural cues / allusions, but that's pretty par for the course with watching something from another culture, particularly a non-western one.
    Much, much less complex, and the ending is less an actual appropriate way to wrap things up and more Kon thumbing his nose at the viewer with a completely unwarranted "Aha!". It's not a patch on something like Mind Game. Still, some great, great moments, and that fantastic opening credit sequence never fails to put a smile on my face - Susumu Hirasawa's music there is absolutely stunning.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Probably the best short comedy film I've ever seen.
    Warning, it's slightly NSFW.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    I do hope you're talking about the British version. If so, you have my full support. Otherwise, you have bad taste.
    There's a version that isn't British?

Lesser Hivemind Node

Oops. My bad. Not sure why I was confused as i'm a James Spader fan.

If they're gonna adapt the comics i can foresee an ai (probably shield and stark created) going all skynet and jarvis breaks free from its control because good guy ai and cue action sequence.
    Last edited by khaz; 10-08-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalk View Post
    There's a version that isn't British?
    You have been warned.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1321509/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Holy molly, I never though I would see the day when The Thick of It would look quite tame. That day is today, after I watched The Manchurian Candidate. How did McCarthyism survive this barrage of criticism?
    The best "scene" of the film, and goes directly to one of my favourites is when a senator takes a large chunk of a caviar american flag, eats it and remarks "It's OK, that's Polish caviar".
    There's nothing I can say that Ebert hasn't. Truly a classic.

Speaking of classics, I also watched Dirty Harry, or Clockwork Orange 2: The Later Years. That Scorpio dude really looks like Alex post-"indoctrination".
    I don't think anyone really believed that it was endorsing that kind of behaviour (which is further evidenced by the fact he tosses the badge in the end of the film, and that the US Constitution is actually referred AND followed during a cop's film), just that Callahan a 90's Anti Hero before its time. Eastwood just makes his thing, and the well-know line is really great, punk!

Shifting gears, Black Swan is NOT a remake of Perfect Blue. Perfect Blue is much more explicit and introduces other themes, like celebrity stalking and people using Macs on the Internet like it's a kind of magic. Black Swan leaves a lot to the imagination, while Perfect Blue just hits you right across the face. It also mixes up the real and the imaginary world so that is nearly impossible to take them apart, you just have to draw your own conclusions.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Oops. My bad. Not sure why I was confused as i'm a James Spader fan.

If they're gonna adapt the comics i can foresee an ai (probably shield and stark created) going all skynet and jarvis breaks free from its control because good guy ai and cue action sequence.
    Uncited spoiler that I recall reading around the time Spader was cast followed by conjecture based upon it:

MCU Ultron is going to be JARVIS since there isn't a Pym (yet) to create him.
    Considering that Bettany, the current voice of JARVIS, is also going to be the Vision, conjecture states that they are going to adapt one of the MANY storylines where Stark's armor turns against him, and that will be/become Ultron. it was foreshadowed a bit in Iron Man 3 when Stark has that nightmare about the suit hurting Pepper (and him remote controlling the suits), and it will fit with Robert Downey Jr not wanting to suit up/Stark not wanting to suit up because Gwyneth Paltrow is attractive.
    My prediction: First act is the Avengers after some random villain (possibly Winter Soldier as a way to work in Bucky) and Stark brags about how he has upgraded JARVIS to control his armor (probably with a funny montage of Cap and Black Widow fighting for their lives while Stark is eating pizza). Second act is the suit getting a mind of its own and somehow working in any new characters (are there scheduled to be any since the only new movie was Guardians and that probably won't tie-in until Phase 3?), third act is the new, extended (with at least The Vision and Falcon) going up against Ultron.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    and the well-know line is really great, punk!
    I love that scene, and I always wonder why that line is remembered while the rest of Eastwood's monologue is forgotten. It reminds me of Gibson's handcuffs-and-hacksaw scene in Mad Max, and of Hopper's history lesson in True Romance-- both incredible scenes for violence-hungry young men.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The first Dirty Harry is great. (the rest, pretty awful).

If you haven't see it, check out Coogan's Bluff from 1968 (3 years before). In some ways it's a prototypical Dirty Harry, but with more of a fish out of water theme.

I just saw the latest Sono Sion (Cold Fish, Love Exposure, Suicide Club), "Why Don't You Play In Hell?". It's interesting to see him do a full on comedy, without the more dark side of his previous movies. The tone can be tiring to some, but I found it really enjoyable, and I almost read it as Sono Sion taking back the crazy aestheticization of Japanese movies by american director like Tarantino, and all the little winks to various movies and genres don't end up being obnoxious, which wasn't a given. Some scenes will definitely stick with you just for their craziness, and it's interesting that they don't make the movie look like an hollow exercise imo. I recommend to watch the trailers first to determine if the aesthetic of it can be your thing though (plus they're crazy)

I wouldn't say that Robocop 2 sucks... lame is what I'd call it. Oh man is it lame and no amount of swearing children and suicidal cyborgs could make me think otherwise. Frank Miller is the worst thing that happened to the franchise. The junior baseball team that robs the electronics store was pretty amusing though I'll give it that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Frank Miller did Robocop 2?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Wrote the script.

Hmm, I haven't seen it in years but suddenly my memories of it are worse.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I love that scene, and I always wonder why that line is remembered while the rest of Eastwood's monologue is forgotten. It reminds me of Gibson's handcuffs-and-hacksaw scene in Mad Max, and of Hopper's history lesson in True Romance-- both incredible scenes for violence-hungry young men.
    People don't feel lucky, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    The first Dirty Harry is great. (the rest, pretty awful).

If you haven't see it, check out Coogan's Bluff from 1968 (3 years before). In some ways it's a prototypical Dirty Harry, but with more of a fish out of water theme.
    Yeah, I'm not really big on watching the rest of the sequels. Noted for that other film.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I watched Rush, wherein Thor (an Australian Brit) and Fredrick Zoller (a Spanish Austrian) travel round and round quite fast to see which of them manages risk best. It was quite good and there were excellent performances all around. I'm not normally one to follow Cars Wot Go Fast, so the ins and outs of Formula racing was new to me (one very loud day high above a track several years ago notwithstanding), but I rather enjoyed it.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I watched Rush, wherein Thor (an Australian Brit) and Fredrick Zoller (a Spanish Austrian) travel round and round quite fast to see which of them manages risk best. It was quite good and there were excellent performances all around. I'm not normally one to follow Cars Wot Go Fast, so the ins and outs of Formula racing was new to me (one very loud day high above a track several years ago notwithstanding), but I rather enjoyed it.
    Rush, Rush, give me yeyo...