Page 139 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 3042
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Finally made time to rewatch Sin City for the first time in 9 years.

Unfortunately I decided to watch the Recut, Extended and Unrated edition. This turns the four stories into four short movies. It's rubbish. For some reason I kept watching for about an hour instead of switching to the theatrical cut. The editing is absolutely awful, it doesn't work at all as a movie. The mini-story with Josh Harnett is completely destroyed, because both its segments run in the middle of this cut. Also there are credits after each story... It's really bad.

Now that I watched two full stories, I don't even feel like starting the theatrical cut anymore :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Watched 2 Guns last night - action comedy with a great setup. Two 'criminals' working together are both undercover agents and neither knows the other is.

Started out great, got far too silly and overcomplicated for a while, then got even sillier to the point it became amusing again. Overall I would rate it entertaining.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I finally managed to watch *Captain America: The Winter Soldier* and I really enjoyed it.

I've seen all the Gen-2 Marvel movies now, except GuardiansOTG which isn't out here yet. I think Winter Soldier was the best of the bunch. With Iron man 3 second and Thor last. Which was a little surprising considering Captain America 1 was maybe the weakest of the G1 movies (other than Iron man 2).

I think doing it as a spy thriller worked really well, despite there not actually really being any big twists or surprises. (the identity of the bad guys being obvious from the beginning. But it didn't really matter and they kept everyone 'grey' enough that it made an interesting ride. The fights and action were also really well done... (a bit) more realistic than many recent superhero movies and actually with decent 80s/90s style choreography and fight/chase stories that allowed you to follow what was going on. (rather than the crappy shakey-cam chaos that has been trendy for the past 10 years).

There have been several action movies recently that have had decent fight/action choreography again.. it seems like we're getting out of the shakey-cam phase and back to decent action. I wonder if it was The Raid that kicked it off, or maybe a new generation of directors who grew up watching decent 80s action movies.

PS/ Sin City 2 seems to be getting crappy reviews... shame. I rather liked the first one.

PPS/ If you could watch one movie in the theater: Godzilla or Edge of Tomorrow, which one?

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post

PPS/ If you could watch one movie in the theater: Godzilla or Edge of Tomorrow, which one?
    EoT is a better movie and a big flop, but Godzilla is the better theater experience so that's what you should watch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That was what I thought, and my dilemma. Big screen experience or better movie. So saving EoT for dvd is the best option.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ok, so I watched Godzilla (EoT wasn't on anyway).

Er. It was pretty dumb fun, but it was also a REALLY TERRIBLE MOVIE in almost every way.
    I was rather surprised, given how much praise it seemed to receive - but I guess people's standards were pretty low given how hated the last Hollywood Godzilla was. Although I'm not actually sure that that wasn't a better movie.
    the only thing this one seemed to have over it was that they'd seen the original Godzilla movies and realized Godzilla was supposed to be the good guy.

It was rather like they thought of a big list of action scenes they wanted to do, and then tried to think of the dumbest deus ex machina ways to link them together that they could possibly find. Not one of the human characters made a single logical decision in the entire movie. And the monsters just kinda did their thing in the background while the movie mostly ignored them.

Cloverfield meets Pacific Rim, but not as good as either. But once I accepted that it was a so bad it's good movie, it was kind of a fun ride. But to build up the whole movie to finally showing Gozilla fight, and then not showing any kind of decent fight... that was rather annoying.
    Wasn't half as good as The Winter Soldier which I watched a few days ago.

Personal note: sitting in a movie theater in Japan watching a Japanese Nuclear plant melt down followed by a Tsunami scene was a little uncomfortable. Though the movie seems to have been rather popular here, so maybe that was just me.

6/10 - could have been so much better if the script writer had put down the vodka and written something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Personal note: sitting in a movie theater in Japan watching a Japanese Nuclear plant melt down followed by a Tsunami scene was a little uncomfortable. Though the movie seems to have been rather popular here, so maybe that was just me.
    It's something like Hollywood 50's "we fear nuclear war so we're making monster movies about giant ants/scorpions/grasshoppers that mutated after beign exposed to radiation".
    Well, original Godzilla was also made on the same fear.

I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy. It was ok. Watchable, moderately fun, but not very interesting. The trailers turned me off and the film lives up to that level of corny and dumb material. I liked the villain's spaceship with its rotating arms (that unfortunately never DO anything), and the helmet transfer scene surprised me. I did not enjoy the soundtrack. I guess it didn't make me actually laugh enough to give a mixed bag like this a better grade.

Guardians of the Galaxy is... OK. I like the visuals a lot. It has the first non-Loki Marvel villains who aren't totally fucking lame. Even the obligatory assault-the-big-ship climax isn't as bad as usual. The tree and the raccoon aren't that great IMO, but they're still better than Chris Pratt. Zoe Saldana and The Big Guy are my favourites. I also enjoyed Benicio del Toro's 3 seconds long role and Michael Rooker.

Ranking time

God tier:
    Captain America
    Captain America: The Sequel
    Thor
    Iron Man 3

Good tier:
    Iron Man
    The 2008 Hulk
    GotG

Can't remember anything tier:
    Thor 2

Shit tier:

Iron Man 2
    The Avengers

Let's remember Chris Pratt's best scene ever:
    Last edited by SirKicksalot; 24-08-2014 at 12:18 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    God Tier:
    Avengers
    The Cabin in the Woods

Good Tier:
    Captain America: The winter solder
    Iron Man 1 & 3

OK Tier:
    Thor
    Captain America: The generic intro

Can't remember anything Tier:
    The Incredible Hulk
    Thor 2

Shit Tier:
    Iron Man 2

Really want to watch it but it's not out here yet tier:
    GotG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Repo Men just quickly had me going to play the Repo: The Genetic Opera soundtrack right away. Other than a twist ending and ghost dog, was not a great movie.

Now I want to see Wanted.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Now I want to see Wanted.
    Pure unadulterated crap. It's not even so bad it's good, it's just terrible. To add insult to injury, pointless swearing just to get "edgy" is just stupid.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Wanted is amazing. If you like stuff like Crank and Shoot 'Em Up you will enjoy Wanted because it's just as weird and creative.

Sin City 2 is almost as good as the first one.
    Eva Green's segment is the best Sin City story, and not just because she's nude for most if it. Her character is a hilarious over the top villain, a woman who can get any man to do anything for her.
    One of the new stories is about a guy with supernatural luck. It's really fun and proof that Frank Miller still has talent.
    The other new story is... not that great. It's forgettable and repeats elements of the other stories.
    There's also a very fun short intro, much like the Josh Hartnett one from the first movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'll take the middle ground and say that Wanted (and Shoot Em Up) was ok. It was fun, and some of the ridiculous OTT action was fun, but it was ultimately forgettable.

Case in point, I'd actually totally forgotten Shoot Em Up.

If you wan't to watch a good Clive Owen movie, of which there are not many, then Children of Men is awesome. If only for that one-shot chase scene near the middle.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post

Ranking time

God tier:
    Captain America
    Captain America: The Sequel
    Thor
    Iron Man 3

Good tier:
    Iron Man
    The 2008 Hulk
    GotG

Can't remember anything tier:
    Thor 2

Shit tier:

Iron Man 2
    The Avengers
    Huh I'd have:

Top tier:
    GotG
    Thor
    Avengers

Good:
    Iron Man 1
    Thor 2

Fine:
    Iron Man 2

Shit as in I'm never watching it again and avoiding the sequel:
    Captain America

Weird how differently people react to the same set of films. If Cabin in the Woods is included I'd rather watch that or Much Ado About Nothing than most these films, except GotG.

Then again I loathed Sin City and 300, which I am in the minority about.

Nachos are in the over, six pack at my side, Class Of Nuke 'Em High, Story Of Ricky and Wild Zero DVDs in my hands. I am all set for an awesome afternoon of trash and sleaze.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I guess mine would be

Top Tier:
    GOTG
    Iron Man 1
    Iron Man 3

Good
    Avengers
    Captain America

Fine:
    Both Thors

Shit:
    Iron Man 2

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Avengers
    Thor
    Iron Man
    Iron Man 3

Thor 2
    Captain America

Captain America 2

Iron Man 2
    Guardians

Network Hub
    The Wolf of Wall Street seems to be aimed at raucous young men-- the kind of people who really like The Hangover.

It was not aimed at me.

Its pacing is strange: this 3 hour long movie is made up of several stories, with no overarching structure. I kept being confused as to whether I was supposed to sympathize with the characters or sneer righteously at them, and no, it wasn't a subtle enough film for that to be a good thing. It is apparently based off of a biography, and that's always awkward. Especially so when the original work seems like one big brag about misdeeds, like a long reminiscence by an Anonymous Alcoholic, bored senseless by the sensibility of sobriety.

Inside Llewyn Davis is, like everything the Coens direct, incredible (although I don't think anyone will claim it to be their best), and it makes a really great contrast with The Wolf of Wall Street. First, because this isn't a movie with any sort of traditional story arc either-- it is a sequence of events only, but those events are in service of character and theme in a way Scorcese didn't attempt. Because sometimes life is just a bunch of shit that happens. And I do mean shit. It's also about a character that we're meant not to despise nor admire, but again, that's in service to something greater. I sympathized deeply with Davis, but for his weakness, not his strength.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Godzilla. Well, that was certainly ... crap. I rather liked the design of the containment zone, but it deserved a far better movie.

Also, aren't the non-Godzilla monsters severely inspired by some other movie critters? They rather reminded me of the bugs from Starship Troopers, just with the feet from some other monster.