Page 141 of 164 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 3264
    Network Hub
    For some reason, I thought that The Grand Budapest Hotel was going to be for old people who watch a lot of Masterpiece Mystery. Or else I thought it was going to be pretentious. It wasn't-- it was very good.

It's not very common that I can't figure out what's going to happen in a movie. I think that's by design-- most filmmakers don't really want to surprise anybody. It's not as if there's some twist, but Budapest Hotel was a plot-driven movie that surprised me into paying attention. Wes Anderson (Bottle Rocket, Royal Tannebaums) paces the film punchily and doesn't let it get too precious.

I want to say it reminds me of Baron Munchhausen or Extraordinary Adventurs of Adele Blanc-Sec, but then, is that just because of certain similarities in setting? No, I don't think it is-- there's something beyond the setting that ties these movies together. Adventure, without feeling like it was made in anticipation of the video game license? Humor, without going all-out? Family friendly, for the f-word friendly family? I'm not sure.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    there's something beyond the setting that ties these movies together. Adventure, without feeling like it was made in anticipation of the video game license? Humor, without going all-out? Family friendly, for the f-word friendly family? I'm not sure.
    I got the impression of a director with confidence in his craftsmanship. The focus was towards the setting, the story and the characters. There was no pandering, just an expectation that one should sit back and take in everything coming their way.

currently i am gonna watching Expendables 3

Activated Node
    Just watched The Raid 2. After the tightly constructed delight that was The Raid, this one seemed a little overblown. It's not that their reach exceeded their grasp; the action scenes are excellent and the movie drives forward. In both movies, the plot is just window dressing for the action scenes. In the first one, however, since the setting is so constrained (one building), this functions as a strength. It's all of a piece; form and function match beautifully. The Raid 2, however, is longer and takes place in multiple locations, and the thin plot becomes a liability, obviously stretched -- like many modern Hollywood movies -- to cover spaces in between action vignettes. And the action, particularly the final fight scene, is much bloodier than in the first movie. Still, it was a few hands better than any other action movie released in the last few years, with some truly spectacular vignettes. There's one camera shot that i still can't figure out: camera approaches car from behind, flies into the window of the car observing fight in progress, then out the opposite window and speeds away from the car.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_W View Post
    There's one camera shot that i still can't figure out: camera approaches car from behind, flies into the window of the car observing fight in progress, then out the opposite window and speeds away from the car.

Here's how they did it.

"Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Well, what can you expect, no Gary Oldman. (One of my all time favorite actors.)
    Ha, that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Here's how they did it.

Good old practical effects.
    Last edited by somini; 01-09-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Network Hub
    Russian Ark (2002)
    Camera wanders around a museum for 90 minutes while some French asshole talks about Peter the Great. Four stars.

Ok, serious reaction: wow. I suddenly feel the urge to catch up on Russian literature. Or possibly the memoirs of the Marquis du Custine, whose 1839 book of his experiences in and impressions of Russia of that time form much of the basis for this film. It's definitely a timely production: as post-communist Russia struggles to define itself in the 21st century, Russian Ark is a look back at a similar struggle in ages past, i.e. the question of Imperial Russia's 'European' identity. The ending is appropriate: the doors close on the Winter Palace, and the show must go on.

Oh, and the entire film is shot in a single 90 minute take, with thousands of extras involved. Yeah.

Confession: I actually tried to watch this film years ago, but my appreciation for both the art of cinema and world history was rather less developed than it is today and I soon switched off. Second time's the charm! The final ball scene is still too long, though.
    Last edited by Lethe; 02-09-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Just watched 12 Years a Slave. As a movie fan I'm so mad at my self not watching it earlier.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

It was more of the same and as such I enjoyed it but there's a sense of diminishing return already. It kind of highlights just how much both films are about style. It's not objectively any worse than the first I think (I'd have to revisit the first to be sure) but without the impact of feeling really new and surprising it loses a little something.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    I got the impression of a director with confidence in his craftsmanship. The focus was towards the setting, the story and the characters. There was no pandering, just an expectation that one should sit back and take in everything coming their way.
    Definitely! There's something more than that, too, though.

I keep thinking about how the movie handled its sad bits. It would have been easy to miss them, because they were handled without sentiment, but also without any hard-bitten "never complain" machismo. I think Anderson made a movie that's not just entertaining, but one that tries to communicate something honest about the world.

Just saw Blue Ruin because Netflix thought I ought to, and it was right. It was a bit of that hard-bitten machismo, only examined a litle more thoughtfully than it usually is: a revenge movie where the revenge just doesn't taste as sweet as imagined. Smaller budget than a blockbuster, but high production values, recommended for aficionados of that genre of violence who might be intrigued by a slightly less romantic (even less romantically cynical) treatment.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

It was more of the same and as such I enjoyed it but there's a sense of diminishing return already. It kind of highlights just how much both films are about style. It's not objectively any worse than the first I think (I'd have to revisit the first to be sure) but without the impact of feeling really new and surprising it loses a little something.
    Sin City exhausted its novelty appeal with 15 minutes still left to run. A second film seems entirely superfluous.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Just saw Blue Ruin because Netflix thought I ought to, and it was right. It was a bit of that hard-bitten machismo, only examined a litle more thoughtfully than it usually is: a revenge movie where the revenge just doesn't taste as sweet as imagined. Smaller budget than a blockbuster, but high production values, recommended for aficionados of that genre of violence who might be intrigued by a slightly less romantic (even less romantically cynical) treatment.
    'Twas a Kickstarter project, so a damn sight cheaper than a blockbuster.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Confession: I actually tried to watch this film years ago, but my appreciation for both the art of cinema and world history was rather less developed than it is today and I soon switched off.
    I can relate to this, just not about Russian Ark. Youth is truly wasted on the young...

I watched Royal Space Force and it's weirdly great. The plot is simplistic, but the visuals are just great, with a lot of detail. They really created a new alternative version of Earth, different from anything I ever watched, with roots in steampunk and more modern stuff. That ONE scene comes out of nowhere and it's resolved in a ridiculous way, it's just a lame excuse for "fanservice", but it can be overlooked.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    The Hobbit 2: Hobbit Harder - The book barely had enough content for one movie, but other sources are being drawn from to stretch it out to three, because reasons. Money, of course. Maybe I'm just a crotchety old man now but the artificial "endings" generated to give each one a bit of closure are really tired at this point. At least in Fellowship Boromir's death and the splitting of the group was a natural point at which to break up the movies. The others? Not so much. The romance subplots are pretty bad, too. With each Middle Earth movie I watch I seem to be liking them less and less.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

We should run a namethemovie thread.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Glad to see someone else found Hobbit 2: The Decapitation of the Orcs to be rather a dispiriting experience.

I just watched Ender's Game. And I thought it was great.
    I always find it hard to parse my feelings about movies that I've read the book of. I tend to find myself second-guessing the movie makers and thinking things like "I would have emphasised that point more" or "they should have done this".
    I did that in Ender's Game too, but not enough to be a problem.
    Although it's reasonably long, like many book adaptions, they had to cut out a lot of detail/depth. But again I think they did about the best that could be expected without me there to do it for them.
    I wonder how it would have come across to someone who hadn't read the book, but for me it worked kind of like the Harry Potter movies - hitting all the key points and triggering my memories to fill in the details.

I know the reviews were ok, but not great. But I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than some other recent movies like Godzilla, and it was more interesting and original than most movies I've seen from Hollywood over the last few years.

Watching it in movie form, I found myself noticing how similar it was to Starship Troopers. But without being a satire.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    We should run a namethemovie thread.
    Let's be honest, most sequels would be called Verb Adjective: Verb Adjectiver or have some sort of British insult twist on them. Not that these are bad things, of course.