Page 1 of 116 1231151101 ... LastLast

Wot films are you watching?

To borrow another thread from ye abandoned and decaying forums of olde.

Films are like games minus interactivity. Predictably, certain luddites out there continue to engage with this antiquated art form; more surprising, perhaps is that these unfortunate individuals are continued to suffer to walk freely amongst society. Yet it would be remiss of us if they were not at least offered a chapel in which to confess their sins. This is that.

So here's me of late:

Moulin Rouge: A masterful production offering up a veritable feast of audiovisual delights. The colours, the music, the editing, Nicole Kidman! And yet, I wasn't able to get into it. The film is sheer fairytale spectacle, but what of it? I've been able to relax and give myself over to such productions before - Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' remains a firm favourite - so what was different this time? The film does lag somewhat in the second reel, but I don't think that's it. No, it's not you, MR, it's me. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind. Or, more worrisome, perhaps there was a childlike spark in me that has gone out of late. Either way, it irks me, and thus Moulin Rouge offers up a rare instance of my head being more charitable towards a film than my heart.

Never Let Me Go: There's a wonderful sense of austerity and solemnity pervading every aspect of this film. It's set largely in provincial England, and indeed it is difficult to imagine it being set anywhere else. The male member of the trio of characters whose journeys define the film is particularly intriguing in his passivity. It's an unusual and welcome role for a male character to assume in the context, but one which - in combination with certain other characteristics of the film - creates some problems. Specifically, the unceremonious and almost unmourned death of the most active and complex member of the trio in the second reel creates a vacuum that the film subsequently struggles to fill. And not just because the character in question was played by Keira Knightley. The concept underlying the film of children raised as future organ donors is intriguing and affecting, if totally implausible as presented. It's unfortunate that the film declined to explore it further, perhaps fearing to distract from the core character story. If done well, however, I think the two could have reinforced one another, strengthening a film whose second half falls rather short of the brilliant first. Still, it's a worthy film.

The Wrestler: The least of Aronofsky's films, I fear. There are intriguing ideas wafting about here concerning performance and reality, from the casting of ex-boxer Mickey Rourke to the nature of professional wrestling, to the relationship between Rourke's character and stripper Cassidy, to the roles assumed in the course of more 'normal' employment and parenthood. And none of it ends tidily. The performances and script are superb, the characters and events they detail heartbreakingly human, and now having written all this I'm not sure why I didn't like it. Is it the wrestling? I think it might be. That sort of casual, visceral violence for entertainment has always left a sour taste in my mouth. Great.

How I Ended This Summer: Seen at the recommendation of an RPS member. Unfortunately I can't say that I enjoyed it. Great setup, drags a bit, then blech. There's a lot of ambiguity as to the motivations and actions of the characters at certain points in the film, and I think that's meant to contrast with the mechanical regularity of their actual functions at the station and thereby make some kind of point. But it just doesn't work and the film doesn't even have the good grace to kill either of its two significant characters. It's a pity; the Arctic research station and its surroundings make for an intriguing and hauntingly photographed setting, but I just didn't get this one.

Certified Copy: I'm a sucker for this sort of thing, I really am. Usually, though, there's some sort of reality underlying the multilayered dialogue. I'm not sure that's the case here. And I'm sure that's the point. Maybe there is a consistent explanation which accounts for all the dialogue in the film - I've read some well-argued theories - but even if there is I don't think scrabbling to find it is what we're meant to do upon leaving the theatre. It's a very human thing to do, though. I need to see this again. And not just for Juliette Binoche's remarkable performance.
    Last edited by Rii; 04-08-2011 at 02:58 PM.

I watched the x-men film (Michael Fassbender for the new James bond please), its as good as the first two but there are a few things that bothered me.

1/ the 'mutant and proud' slogan, I know that the franchise has always had this link to certain movements but that was cringeworthy.
    2/ the black guy dies first.
    3/ besides prof x, Magneto, Raven and Sebastian Shaw the other mutants are basically just there as furniture.
    Last edited by 8-bit; 07-06-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Pink Floyd's The Wall - It basically is a surreal music video, also god damn it Bob Geldof did you really have to sing one of my favourite songs...you bloody butchered it. Also I had no real clue what was going on with the visuals in this it seemed very psychedelic and didn't really go anywhere. So it was perfect for Pink Floyd's music.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    the last films I watched...

The secret of Kells (absolutely beautiful,definitely recommended for visuals alone)
    Primer (I don't know if I can recommend what I didn't understand in the slightest because I don't know if it's bad or not. It was definitely interesting up until I stopped being able to follow what was going on.)

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    I watched the x-men film (Michael Fassbender for the new James bond please)
    Is Daniel Craig planning on moving on?

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Primer (I don't know if I can recommend what I didn't understand in the slightest because I don't know if it's bad or not. It was definitely interesting up until I stopped being able to follow what was going on.)
    LOL, that was my reaction precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Is Daniel Craig planning on moving on?
    no, I think he is doing the next one but who knows after that, me and the people I saw it with agreed that this guy would be really good for the part though.

Just saw The Sunset Limited. Fantastically written and acted, but didn't like the cinematography, which felt a bit obvious and heavy-handed.

no, I think he is doing the next one but who knows after that, me and the people I saw it with agreed that this guy would be really good for the part though.
    Hmm I don't think I've seen Fassbender in anything yet, although I've been meaning to get around to Jane Eyre at some point. Saves reading the book!

Re: Craig and Bond. I like the darker turn the franchise has taken of late and Craig is perfect for that, but I wouldn't want to see it continue in its current vein forever. One more grimdark film with Craig and then a tonal shift with a new Bond would suit me fine.

monsters, its sooooo good.

everything about the advertising I have seen is incredibly misleading though because
    a)its not an action flick
    b)its not a 'monster' movie

there is this scene at the end which is amazing, beautiful. I'll shut up now but go watch, its really good.

I want to see Your Highness. I know it's probably gonna be horrible, but I laughed hard at trailers

I watched the x-men film (Michael Fassbender for the new James bond please), its as good as the first two but there are a few things that bothered me.

3/ besides prof x, Magneto, Raven and Sebastian Shaw the other mutants are basically just there as furniture.
    As far as their lines go, I suppose, but I got a shivver (and that's not happened in a long time at a movie) when Banshee went into action. He's always been my favorite and I'm glad to see him finally included.
    "Unix is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.

Activated Node
    Maybe this should be in the controversy thread, but I was completely unmoved by Monsters.

It goes a little further than that, though - I don't see why I was supposed to be moved. Is it because the monsters (spoilers) perform the nightmare tentacle equivalent of the horizontal boogaloo? I mean, so what? Why is that supposed to be so powerful?

I don't know really, possibly something about the way it was done in a very non-hollywood way, and also because of what happens just before and just after.

or it could be because I just thought it was pwetty :D

Quote Originally Posted by Kablooie View Post
    I want to see Your Highness. I know it's probably gonna be horrible
    It is. Very disappointing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Over the last two evenings, I've watched Dirty Harry and Magnum Force. They're both good films and you can definitely tell where a lot of modern, or at least since the 80s procedural crime shows/films have taken an awful lot of their inspiration from. Everything that you see is important, in some way, which is certainly refreshing, but having seen all that has come after, it's somewhat lessened the impact I think it would have had if I'd have seen them when they first came out. They also felt too long, but I think that may just be me not being able to sit through too much now. Dirty Harry is definitely recommended watching though. Some great lines, sequences, etc.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    I just watched

Pretty good, kind of crawls along.. I suppose that's kind of the point though..

And yesterday I watched

Absolutely terrible, couldn't be bothered watching the end... I just didn't care about what would happen to any of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Donjonson View Post
    Absolutely terrible, couldn't be bothered watching the end... I just didn't care about what would happen to any of the characters.
    BLASPHEMY!

Seriously though, I think the film has much more resonance to someone who has watched the series. Unless you already have, in which case I'm going to shout blasphemy in your face some more :D

I watched Oliver Stone's Heaven and Earth the other day. Between that and watching the C4 programme on Sri Lanka's killing fields last week my faith in humanity has been at something of a low. Recommendations for something spirit-lifting would be appreciated.

Last night I watched The Troll Hunter, and it was exceedingly satisfying, and really quite funny in places. Totally recommended.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TLEo7H9tqSM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Seriously though, I think the film has much more resonance to someone who has watched the series. Unless you already have, in which case I'm going to shout blasphemy in your face some more
    Hmm thats funny because I actually didn't like the series that much(still don't get the fans reaction to Joss Wheaden I don't think i've really liked any of his TV series) but I quite enjoyed the movie a lot.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    BLASPHEMY!

Seriously though, I think the film has much more resonance to someone who has watched the series. Unless you already have, in which case I'm going to shout blasphemy in your face some more :D

I watched Oliver Stone's Heaven and Earth the other day. Between that and watching the C4 programme on Sri Lanka's killing fields last week my faith in humanity has been at something of a low. Recommendations for something spirit-lifting would be appreciated.
    :) Blasphemer to the end! Yeah, I didn't watch the series, I might give it a go because I like the premise, the film just seemed.. kind of silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Last night I watched The Troll Hunter, and it was exceedingly satisfying, and really quite funny in places. Totally recommended.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TLEo7H9tqSM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Troll Hunter! Yeah, it's really good! Great pacing, actually pretty good effects and, yeah, quite funny too :)

Activated Node
    I think Serenity's most important point is that it demonstrates how nasty the Alliance are in that universe. Throughout the series, the crew of Firefly tend to be acting illegally by Alliance laws if not actually in direct action against the Alliance. Serenity goes some way to justifying that. It also finishes off the strange River Tam story which didn't really have enough time to get very far in one season of TV shows. I don't think I enjoyed Serenity first time round, then I watched Firefly and had a much better time when I came back to it.

I recently saw Charlie Wilson's War which randomly popped up from LoveFilm. I found it a very interesting film and provides some interesting context to recent events.