Page 12 of 168 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
    Ooh, I like Real Steel. Yeah, being a Disney movie and all, its decent and G-rated enough (with a few exceptions) to watch. But if it wasn't, I think, it has a lot more potential to be a much better movie. I love the boxing there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Had a "Films Someone Hasn't Watched" day with some friends. Only got through two:
    1. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
    Thought it was good. Not really my thing and we did talk a fair bit over it, but I enjoyed it enough. I'd never actively go out of my way to watch it, but it wasn't bad.
    2. Zoolander
    Holds up on repeated viewing. Very funny, very clever film that completely takes the piss out of the fashion industry. Well worth a watch.

We also watched The Incredibles, after someone in our group left, for no real reason. I will defend my proclamation of it being the best Pixar film. Damn near everything about it is perfect.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    We also watched The Incredibles, after someone in our group left, for no real reason. I will defend my proclamation of it being the best Pixar film. Damn near everything about it is perfect.
    Monsters, Inc is better.

On that subject I watched Ratatouille recently, the only Pixar film (other than Cars) which I had little interest in watching, and enjoyed it a lot.

A Girl Walks Into A Bar

Worst film of the decade so far. Starts out lame, whatever little story there is fizzles out completely about half way through and the dialogue is just one pointless non-sequitur after another. It is like whoever wrote it was trying to be a cross between Tarantina and Kevin Smith but they just miss the mark completely.

Best avoided.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaunchJC View Post
    Monsters, Inc is better. On that subject I watched Ratatouille recently, the only Pixar film (other than Cars) which I had little interest in watching, and enjoyed it a lot.
    I wouldn't say the film bored me, but I found it hard to keep entirely interested in it. It was good, but not the great I expected from Pixar. I feel exactly the same as you do though about Ratatouille.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I wouldn't say the film bored me, but I found it hard to keep entirely interested in it. It was good, but not the great I expected from Pixar. I feel exactly the same as you do though about Ratatouille.
    Same here about Rattatouille. Loved the movie despite keeping my expectations low watching it. Brad Bird's a genius

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Watched "War Horse" last night, and was not impressed. Basically a fanciful (read: make believe) Disney movie set in WWI. I was OK with this "boy and his horse" film all the way up to the point Spielberg depicted a cavalry charge toward 3-4 machine gun emplacements and then showed only the horses streaming past - as if to imply the futility of mounted warfare vs. the new age of the automatic weapon was the ease at which they could be picked off their horses in a Hollywood ASPCA appropriate manner rather then slaughtered en masse.
    It went downhill from there, with the only authentic scene standing out for the whole film was of two deserters getting caught and punished against the backdrop of a windmill (which leads us directly to, oh yes thanks Disney, a night-gown clad adolescent girl prancing around in the middle of the entire Reich army). If this film hadn't been set in WWI, it wouldn't have felt so patronizing, sort of like a angsty teen love story set in the middle of a Warsaw ghetto where the presence of the Holocaust is supposed to be incidental.

How Spielberg expected to convey the reality of war and the incredibly un-reality of this plot at the same baffles me.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Screamers: The Hunting (2009). Sequel to Screamers (1995) which I have soft spot for. Not as bad as I expected, but very predictable all the way through (except perhaps for the weirdly unprovoked love scene) and not terribly well written.
    Not quite sure why Lance Henriksen was in it.

Immortals (2011). The trailer made me think this would be utterly horrible. It's not, but it's not very good either. Something just seems off all the way through. And the scene in the beginning where the main character is chopping wood and the wise old man says something about how good he is with an axe annoyed me; he clearly doesn't have the faintest idea about how to chop wood with an axe.

13th Warrior (1999). Watched this for the nth time and I still find it rather charming. Also about the only Banderas movie I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Screamers: The Hunting (2009). Sequel to Screamers (1995) which I have soft spot for. Not as bad as I expected, but very predictable all the way through (except perhaps for the weirdly unprovoked love scene) and not terribly well written.
    Not quite sure why Lance Henriksen was in it.
    Thanks for reminding me about Screamers. I remember thoroughly enjoying it just after it came out and I'd completely forgotten about it. I must hunt it down.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    13th Warrior (1999). Watched this for the nth time and I still find it rather charming. Also about the only Banderas movie I like.
    Such an odd film, I'll watch everytime it's on tv, it definitely has something about it which makes it entertaining/fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly Wugga Wugga View Post
    Thanks for reminding me about Screamers. I remember thoroughly enjoying it just after it came out and I'd completely forgotten about it. I must hunt it down.
    I just watched it again. I think it holds up pretty well. It does feel a bit outdated, but not bad enough to really matter (the sequel feels more outdated, I think). And Peter Weller always has something.

Obscure Node
    Just watched sherlock Holmes 2 movie but this one is not as good as The first part of sherlock Holmes series

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    When a Man Loves a Woman, starred by Andy Garcia and Meg Ryan. It's not a new movie, and I dont exactly recall which year it's out.

I am a big fan of Meg Ryan. She is very beautiful when she's young. I think that now she mainly stars comedies.

Unlike the title suggests, to me it's not exactly a romance film. It's a film addressing drinking problem. Andy Garcia acted as a flight captain, with a wife starred by Meg who remarried her and brought with her a daughter, and gave birth to a younger sister for Andy. Problem is, that Meg has a drinking problem. At first Andy didnt care much, he loved her anyway. But the problem is getting more and more serious that Andy could no longer ignore. This film is a story about how the couple worked together to resolve this family crisis.

Battle of the Bulge (1965) on TV. Wrong tanks (the Germans have Pershings, etc.), wrong terrain, wrong tactics. They even managed to get the season wrong. The story is a weird mess too.
    Not highly recommended.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by jasons View Post
    Just watched sherlock Holmes 2 movie but this one is not as good as The first part of sherlock Holmes series
    Agreed. Still, it didn't suck.

Obscure Node
    Just saw Haywire. I kinda enjoyed it. Especially once I learned that the lead has NEVER starred in a major motion pic. She really pulled it off, not that she was performing Shakespeare.

Pirates of Sillicon Valley

Made-for-television flick, sure, but its quite good. It also seems to focus a lot, i mean, a lot on the late Steve Jobs rather than Bill Gates, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Attack The Block- A very fun and quite funny film abut a gang of youths having to defend their apartment block from aliens. I quite like that at the start these kids are on the bad side but throughout the film you start liking them a lot more and are invested into their struggle. Its not to scary and its not to funny but it is very enjoyable and it makes you want to keep watching since it is very exciting and some characters are very enjoyable. I also like the fact that it doesn't totally give you a big scene where you find out why the kids are the way they are its just subtly added to throughout the movie so you get an idea of why it is which I think is definitely a lot better. You can choose to like them or hate them still at the end without the director forcing his opinion on you. Anyway definitely recommended and i'll be interested to what the guy does next.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Attack The Block
    Attack the Block was my second favorite 2011 film, after 13 Assassins. Great movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Really impressed by it overall. The director Tomas Alfredson (who also directed 'Let the right one in') is a has a knack for visual storytelling (in a similar manner to Nicolas Winding Refn) and he does a brilliant job of putting across a lot of the important plot events and mood without a great deal of recourse to expositional dialogue. I'm surprised that it's not been at least a nominated for best picture tbh. Great performances as well across the board.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....