Page 14 of 133 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I label anything indie that itself is labelled as indie. Shame was presented to me as an indie film, although I don't really mind if I'm wrong on that one (or many others, for that matter) - I still thought it was sub-par.
    Well, I just think it's a poor label, regardless of context. If it can encompass Super, Juno, and Shame, it's not a genre, it's a meaningless word.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    In my defence, I did say I was generalising! Perhaps I should refine; you can obviously have different genres within the indie label; indie is obviously doing something because that's one way of doing it (usually due to the budget) so perhaps my issue is more with the lack of X/Y/Z these films have to have a better chance, as opposed to the indie mentality. Although, I do believe there is an 'indie' mentality of simply doing things differently anyhow.

As a drama, quasi-thriller, I was left unfulfilled.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by island258 View Post
    Recently i have enjoyed ghost rider 2 movie
    Okay u win

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    The Muppets as it just came out today in the UK (damn you Americans!).

It's fantastic and you should all go and see it if you've ever liked them. I had a great big grin on my face all the way through: the songs were fun and usually up-beat without being annoying; the simplicity of the plot wasn't an issue due to the film's incredible (and personally unexpected) complete awareness of the fact that it's a film, something numerous characters make reference to multiple times; and the comedy is pretty good. On the last point, it's not even as if some of the jokes are amazingly clever, but they're just great to laugh along to. Some are clever and there are some blink-and-you'll-miss'em ones thrown in there too. It's a good all-round package that doesn't out-say its welcome.

Definitely a 'fun for all the family, whatever their (and your) ages' thing. They get a good few 'adult' things in there too under the radar. The main thing is that it was fun and well worth the price of admission.
    It reminded me a lot of Toy Story 3, in that it played the nostalgia card heavily and seemed aimed at the hearts of adults, despite rapping Texas oil barons.

It was almost perfect except for one thing. I didn't like the bit during the credits where the baron gets hit on the head and suddenly gives the muppets everything they want. They already had everything - family, personal growth, and the adoration of millions. There was simply no need to suddenly reverse the tiny defeat which ultimately made them stronger. It would be like if Rocky Balboa won the championship belt in the first movie.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 18-02-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    Drive. Oh my.
    I really liked it a lot. Not to everyone's taste necessarily but it's extremely stylish, there was clearly good chemistry between the leads and I thought that albeit it wasn't much of a speaking role Gosling did an excellent job in terms of conveying his characters emotional state just through subtle changes in his demeanour. The whole lift sequence is fantastic.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    extremely stylish
    I'm starting to take stylish when applied to films as meaning mostly empty, yes, it was nicely done, well filmed, etc., but I found it somewhat dull and ultimately failing to do anything new. As for Gosling? He did very well in playing a character that seems to have been written in order to gain absolutely no sympathy from me, if that bad guys hadn't been so clear cut evil, then I might have ended up rooting for them, as it was I was content to watch them try to kill each other.

I'm not saying to was a bad film, I'm just saying I've seen too many of these films that think they are cleverer or more original than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    despite rapping Texas oil barons.
    The person I was with, along with myself, found that hilarious and had a similar reaction to the Muppets, which was definitely the point. The guy is out of touch, this is what he thinks appeals, but whilst he may be right, it doesn't mean that it and Muppets can't co-exist...that's sounding rather deep, but you know what I mean!

I didn't like the bit during the credits where the baron gets hit on the head and suddenly gives the muppets everything they want.
    I had absolutely no issue with that whatsoever. It's a feel good film and in the end, the difference was minimal; they had the fans, they'd have succeeded anyhow, it's merely a time saver and something of a saving grace. Apparently as well, in the junior novelization, along with the unedited 3 hour long (!!) original, it goes some way to explaining lots of things, including the fact that he had forgotten how to laugh somehow, but the incident where he hit his head made him remember. It's cheesy, but heh, I'm happy to run with it.

Thinking back on the film though, which I do with no difficulty, I have to say that Rowlf's introduction sequence, all 5 seconds of it, was my favourite part of the film.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    I'm not saying to was a bad film, I'm just saying I've seen too many of these films that think they are cleverer or more original than they are.
    No, it's not trying to have any deeper meaning. I don't want to get into the particulars as I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it's basically a tragic fairy tale (in the spirit of Grimm). There's an interview with Refn on the DVD where he talks about it at length.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 19-02-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: My spelling sucks after a long day
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    I'm starting to take stylish when applied to films as meaning mostly empty, yes, it was nicely done, well filmed, etc., but I found it somewhat dull and ultimately failing to do anything new. As for Gosling? He did very well in playing a character that seems to have been written in order to gain absolutely no sympathy from me, if that bad guys hadn't been so clear cut evil, then I might have ended up rooting for them, as it was I was content to watch them try to kill each other.

I agree with your assessment, except for that last line. Refn is a brilliant director and I really expected better from him. I find myself talking about him all the time when around other cinema-minded folks, and they're always shocked that I didn't like Drive. It just doesn't compare to Bronson (though I'm beginning to think that may have been a fluke)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I had absolutely no issue with that whatsoever. It's a feel good film and in the end, the difference was minimal; they had the fans, they'd have succeeded anyhow, it's merely a time saver and something of a saving grace. Apparently as well, in the junior novelization, along with the unedited 3 hour long (!!) original, it goes some way to explaining lots of things, including the fact that he had forgotten how to laugh somehow, but the incident where he hit his head made him remember. It's cheesy, but heh, I'm happy to run with it.
    Indeed. I can't really criticise a children's movie for going that direction. My favourite part was when Kermit got asked if he was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and he just rolled with it. Since there's very little to complain about, I'm going to yell about cinema prices. "9 per adult ticket? 7.50 for a hotdog and small drink? ARE YOU INSANE?!"

Also, I went to see The Muppets on a weekend in the afternoon to ensure plenty of kids were there, because listening to the kid's laugh, gasp, or make innocent comments is really the only way to watch a kiddy movie. They get me more invested and allow me to see things through younger eyes. What I didn't bank on was the shit-smeared seat which was spotted by the couple who were supposed to occupy it because they came early and the cinema lights were still on. They must feel like the luckiest people alive right now.

I went and saw it with a friend at an 8.45pm showing; there weren't too many people, but no-one younger than an older teenager. There were still plenty of laughs to be had. I think they really got the stuff-for-children and stuff-for-adults nailed down. I mean, Cluck You? It was a bit "Wait, come on, they're doing THIS?!" and then you realise that cluck isn't exactly far away from fuck. That being said, with the syllable emphasis, it was clearly the 'Forget you' version, as is credited at the end of the film. Still funny though. I also liked the part you spoilered there. That got a huge laugh from the audience.

I'll join you on the ticket issue though. Hollywood can't seriously just be blaming falling sales (and even that is dubious considering some of the must successful hits) on piracy; I was pretty outraged when I was asked to pay 7.50, at student rates, to see The Muppets. Could be worse, I went with my housemates last year to see Pirates of the Caribbean 4 in stupid 3D - 9! And then you had to buy the glasses! I'm sorry, but 10 for 2 hours of, what was piss-poor (and predictably so) entertainment is not something I'm happy about. I might just, just, be happy if they rolled in, say, free small thing of popcorn with that ticket. Maybe.

(This irritated me so much, as a comment editor at my uni's paper, I asked someone to do an article on it. It was quite good, actually.)