Page 10 of 116 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobsLawnService View Post
    The Expendables - it kicks the asses of roughly 100% of the comic book trash that has been released over the last 15 years. Great, mindless, steroid and testoserone fueled 'splosions and assorted ass kickery. One thing was a bit odd and that was Mickey Rourkes monologues - it stands out simply for being the best sliver of acting I've seen in a while. Seriously.

I think I've been missing the 80's action film aesthetic more than I realised.
    I liked Expendables primarily because it knows it’s a popcorn flick and has a runtime to reflect that. But on the whole it’s largely forgettable, with very few ‘80s’ moments to commemorate the gathering of a classic action star dream team.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I liked Expendables primarily because it knows it’s a popcorn flick and has a runtime to reflect that. But on the whole it’s largely forgettable, with very few ‘80s’ moments to commemorate the gathering of a classic action star dream team.
    I'm hoping that The Expendables 2 will be even better.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Watched the full version of Leon - loved it. The extra scenes add a superb depth to both characters.

Driver on the other hand, I was not impressed. The writing was just... vacant. Gosling's deadpan performance didn't strike me as brilliant, it struck me as wooden and shallow. The cars had more character.

I followed up with another Luc Besson flick, From Paris with Love. Not a bad romp, Travolta manages to sell the off-the-rails agent despite a rather crappy babe in the woods style partnering with Jonathan Meyers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I really did not like The Expendables, it was so...dull. And i don't think a what's supposed to be a throwback to the 80s action movies should be that dull.

Home

So preachy it's irritating even for those who already share its ideology -- which goes beyond standard environmentalism to the more teleological fringe of the Gaia hypothesis -- but the footage more than makes up for it. Definitely one to see in Blu-Ray 1080p. The entire doco can be viewed (legally) on Youtube, albeit only in 720p.
    Last edited by Rii; 19-10-2011 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    The City Of Lost Children - Well that was visually interesting at least, didn't really get what was going on, I think it was a bit to oblique for its own good, throwing charaters and plot in there. Unfortunately I did watch the dub version which is kind of bad also it has a problem where I cannot understand half the things people are saying because there very garbled. Subtiltes could have been a lot better. There was some really good bits in it, The style of it is fantastic and the idea is quite novel. The main "badguys" are really very interesting especially Mr Baldy who I don't know why but loved every minute he was on screen. Maybe I might appreciate this movie on extra watching.
    Hooked out my own dvd of this to watch the other night. To my absolute horror I discovered it was dubbed, with no options for subtitles!

Still a good film, but the dubbing is truly awful. Re-watch it subtitled if you can.

You seen Delicatessan? Same directors/writers. Very good, similar feel to City.

Also agree with you on Expendables. Despite a couple of high-lights I found it to be very disappointing overall. Actually preferred the A-Team remake, mainly due to Sharlto Copley.

Captain America - Fun and entertaining, so very good pulp WW2 action hero film, made by the same director of The Rocketeer and really he should be making more films like this. He is very good at it. Everyone does the job very well, Hugo Weaving is really great as the villain and of course Tommy Lee Jones is awesome. Captain America is done very well, the story is very interesting and fun and it zips on at a nice speed. The technology they use is awesome 30s style(I've always loved that era to be honet) and definitely recommended. Can't wait for The Avengers.

You seen Delicatessan?
    Yes I have and I much prefered that one, it had a really decent story to the really great style it had. I think I will watch a few more things from this directore. I know he made Mic Macs, but I also think he did Amalie.

I'm re-watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy (uncut version) and enjoying Harry Potter series lol. They're all epic hits!

Watched Super 8 tonight, and really enjoyed it. I can't help thinking it's like E.T., Close Encounters, and The Goonies all rolled into one with a little more suspense/violence. The superb "play trailer" bonus content from Portal 2 worked better then any film clip for etching into the brain that I wanted to see this film, and the actual train crash scene really delivers on what we experienced in the demo.

Characters were ok, with some classic 70's tropes represented accordingly, but Abrams and Spielberg managed to pull it off without being over the top. I couldn't help but have a huge grin on my face most of the way through this, partly because I grew up in that era and partly because it's just a solid movie.

Be sure to stay through the credits, the amateur zombie film submission the kids were making gets played and is a hilarious nod toward both John Romero and Spielberg's own youth making films in his back yard.
    Last edited by DigitalSignalX; 23-10-2011 at 02:15 AM.

The Girl Who Played With Fire - That was decent enough, still a bit of a slow paced thriller with pretty pictures unfortunately the actual case this time i don't think was as thrilling as the last movie and the pictures weren't as pretty. Pretty solid stuff, it is basically a nicer made version of all those crime dramas you see on the television just with a few feminist issues here and there. The actors are still pretty good with their roles. One of the villains is a little silly though, a big Aryan German dude that can't stand pain and is also connected to the girl character. That just goes in a bit of a silly direction. Also I'm surprised, it didn't really touch on that much the whole Eastern European sex slave thing, it was a very vague background why they were doing it but it never really came to the forefront, it might have been a bit more depressing but I would have liked the film to delve a bit more into it. All in all a solid film really.

The Girl Who Played With Fire
    I'm curious how the English remakes will do, loved the Swedish and Noomi Rapace will be a tough act to follow. The books are superb and stand up well in any language.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    I'm no war film expert either but I have a few recommendations:

Come and See - a rare look at WW2 from the Soviet civilian side. It is by far the most horrific war film I've seen and it's not because it's graphic (although it certainly doesn't shy away from anything) but because it feels both raw and real, and like a feverish nightmare
    I watched that damn movie because of you bastards and now I feel like I should curl into a ball and die. Thanks a lot.

Picked up Judas Kiss this weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Alan Rickman, Emma Thompson and the always super sexy Carla Gugino pull off a decent buddy cop style kidnapping-double cross mystery that was very enjoyable. Some great lines, including this gem:

Sadie Hawkins:- Let's get it out of the way then: you've never worked under a female superior before. I got to where I am by pushing paper and playing nice - I've never actually fired a gun before, I'm only in this job to prove to my father I'm not a coward. I give decent head, so I got promoted before all the worthy candidates, all of them men, all of them equally gifted at fellatio but there was a gender quota to fill. I'm also stupid and idealistic; you are hard and cynical, and usually right. I am secretly in love with you but I have a hard time showing it. Did I skip anything?

Dave Friedman:- You're a better driver than me, but I'm too proud to admit it.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Another doco, "We", about the speakings of Arundhati Roy. I've read some of her writings before - and just ordered her latest essay compilation 'The Shape of the Beast' - but remarkably until now I had yet to actually hear her speak. Her voice is remarkable in so many ways I don't have words for. There's not much to say about the zero-budget presentation save for the excellent music selection, the focus here is definitely on her words themselves. The trailer provides a decent taste of the experience:

The Girl Who Played With Fire - That was decent enough, still a bit of a slow paced thriller with pretty pictures unfortunately the actual case this time i don't think was as thrilling as the last movie and the pictures weren't as pretty.
    Yeah they changed directors and it shows. The second and third films are certainly inferior to the first, but still worth watching I think, if only on account of Noomi Rapace's superlative ongoing performance as Lisbeth Salander.

Let The Right One In - (The swedish one), really enjoyed it, appreciated the fact gore was a little less out in front then most films, definitely better that way when it comes to vampires. A lot left up to interpretation too which is always nice. The boy looked like a young Jimmy Saville mind.

Wall-E- I love this film, I watched it on Blu-Ray and it just looks fantastic. It always gives me a warm heart at the end, its a perfect love story I have to say. The opening is absolutely awesome with pretty much no speech uttered and just the story is told with background elements and the characters animation. This is why I do 3D animation and it made me want to work more on my project. Also very good reference for my dissertation

Watched a film called Stakeland on a recommendation from a friend, went in with pretty low expectations as it's a no-budget no stars Post-apocalyptic Zombie/Vampire hybrid, and well... it's certainly a damn sight better than I Am Legend.

I think it's possible the cinematography and direction elevate it above the script and performances, but the central male characters had a nicely understated surrogate father/son relationship. The guy playing the evil neo-Nazi was kind of awful though. Still I'd say it's definately worth a watch.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    The Thing 2011,didn't liked it at all and that CGI looked bad.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I'm not watching anything, because every time I look at Netflix Watch Instantly I feel a lot like I do about my Steam library. My queue is filled with movies I "want to watch but not right now" and they seem to permanantly be in that state. Can anyone recommend something obscure? I feel like I've seen everything good and I can only re-watch 13 Assassins so many times.

I currently have 50/50, Cowboys and Aliens, Immortals, On the Inside, My own Love Song, The Guard, and Our Idiot Brother queued up, but can't be bothered to watch any of them. I'm likely to start with My Own Love Song, because Forest Whitaker is amazing.