Page 102 of 143 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2853
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    the Japanese government (fictional of course) enforces strict censorship to confiscate and destory all disapproved publications
    Never heard that one before...
    I'm kidding of course, looks interesting. With Chiaki Kuriyama, from Battle Royale.

As for the obligatory obituary, I only seen him in The Big Lebowski and he was absolutely amazing.

Whoever recommended Ocean Heaven owes me a big box of tissues. TVTropes says this needs more love, but I'm not sure it isn't talking about me.
    This is a story of a widower with cancer taking care of his autistic son. If this looks similar to Rain Man, it's because you haven't seen it, this film actually treats everyone with respect.
    This film is the perfect storm of the tearjerkers, not just the plot but the meta-plot.
    - Jet Li waives his salary to raise awareness for the difficulties autistic people endure, not just in China. He also blocks any attempt of referring to his martial arts films in the marketing
    - Directed by a professor of Beijing Film School who's dealing with autistic people for decades
    - Actors spend months visiting autistic children
    - Music by Joe Hisaishi, of Nausicaä fame
    Some IMDb reviewers raise the "issue" that chinese people don't conform to idealized American stereotypes. They bury their dead and there are (underfunded, like in most places) public social security systems in place.
    The fact this isn't widely distributed in the West is the reason we can't have nice things.
    Last edited by somini; 03-02-2014 at 04:34 AM.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    This movie IS clearly awesome. It's full of beauitful shots of Australian landscapes, girls and lovely Romanian folk songs.
    And then suddenly lovecraftian horror emerges on top of all of it. Seriously, this movie is really scary.
    It was certainly powerful in its evocation of time and place. I was fairly engaged for the first half of the film, but the latter seemed to all but forget about the rock and the missing girls. I don't mean merely that it lacked 'closure', but rather interesting development of any kind, post-return of Irma. And frankly I'm not sure what the 'Sarah' sub-plot added to the film at all; at one point I thought she was going to go up to the rock herself, but no. Mind you it probably doesn't help that I missed a fair bit of the dialogue on account of a blaring air conditioner coupled with an awful sound mix and lack of subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Well, I just found out that Philip Seymour Hoffman died today.

Also, if you haven't watched Synecdoche, New York yet, you should do so as soon as possible. It's one of the best movies ever made.
    It's his only film I've seen, and quite extraordinary, I agree. Hearing of his death reminds me of the final scene. RIP guy.
    Last edited by Lethe; 03-02-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Well, I just found out that Philip Seymour Hoffman died today. I don't really know what to say. He was certainly of of the best actors of the last ten, twenty years. So many great movie. Apparently some drug overdose. Shit sucks.
    Indeed, a real loss for the acting profession and way way before his time. PSH was a bit like Orson Wells in that he had presence whenever you saw him in a movie. He could be charming and endearing, but there was always the sense that things could turn at any moment. Sleep well mattress man.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    It's kind of funny. I was around five when it came out and back then it took a long time for movies to be shown here, and they ran them for much longer too, so I kind of grew up with Jaws posters and always had the impression that it was sort of generally looked down upon (didn't help that the title it got here could be translated to 'The Yawn of Death"), some movie for silly teenagers or such.
    It's interesting to read this, since even back when it was originally released Jaws received very favourable reviews. It introduced the concept of summer blockbusters to the world and made Steven Spielberg a household name. And of course nowadays it's considered one of the greatest films ever made; it was number 48 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies and number 5 on Empire's list of greatest films. I guess a lot of people who've never seen Jaws just equate it to cheap slasher titles like Piranha because they share a similar premise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Indeed, a real loss for the acting profession and way way before his time. PSH was a bit like Orson Wells in that he had presence whenever you saw him in a movie. He could be charming and endearing, but there was always the sense that things could turn at any moment. Sleep well mattress man.
    What impressed me the most about PSH was how much effort he put into every single role. Even in his worse films you got the clear impression that he was always giving his best. No part was beneath him and I think this is part of what made him such an amazing actor.

In his memory, here's a story James Urbaniak posted on his tumblr account.

Quote Originally Posted by James Urbaniak
    Years ago, sometime in the late ’90s, I auditioned for a one-act play in NY. It was a light comedy about a playwright who had a troll who lived in his closet who wrote his plays for him. My audition for the role of the the troll went very well. I thought the character suited my strengths; I took pride in having a corner on wry, verbal oddballs. The producers loved me and I seemed very close to getting it.

I didn’t get it. I went to see the play when it opened (it was part of an evening of one-acts) and when the troll made his entrance, a young Philip Seymour Hoffman walked out. Or rather, crawled out, pulling his big body across the floor, deep voice bellowing, playing this light comedy character with a physical intensity and emotional depth that was nowhere near what I had done in the audition. It hadn’t even occurred to me that you could play the character this way. This actor was taking this troll, this secretive, brilliant, deformed outsider…seriously.

I remember thinking “Holy shit. Well…I see why this guy got the part.”

I’ve thought many times through the years about being blown away by that performance. About what a lesson it was in committing, digging deep, raising the stakes, going further. Philip Seymour Hoffman kept doing that. He never stopped doing it. He was incapable of not doing it.

I’ve reflected on so many of his performances through the years but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought about that troll. I’ll keep thinking about it.
    Maximilian Schell died on Saturday as well. Not a great weekend for actors.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Lethe, one question, did you see director's cut of Picnic of Hanging Rock? It's shorter than original theatrical release.
    But I can kinda agree that climax of this movie is presented rather early and the second half is rather calm.

Got my hands on Rush yesterday, very solid movie, maybe even more than just solid.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Maximilian Schell died on Saturday as well. Not a great weekend for actors.
    Here's a quote from IMDb:
    When asked by journalists in Vienna (his family's home) what I enjoy most about living and working in North America, I answered, "Freedom." The reporters told me, "We're sorry, Mr. Schell; but it needs to be something else, because we can't print that." So I rest my case.

Siberian Film, just kidding but that film is so messed up! I recently watched bruce almighty

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    After watching Blackfish I'm sure as hell never going to SeaWorld again. What a depressing movie that was. I'd always known whales were capable of emoting, but this movie really brought to light just how traumatic it can be separating offspring from their mothers.

I read an article in Science magazine recently about a case being brought to trial in New York to grant personhood to chimpanzees. After watching this movie I can really see how people would want to do this, not just for chimps but marine mammals as well.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Just got back from seeing Frozen, and it wasn't bad! I love musicals, so I might be biased. I made my spouse go with me to see Mamma Mia four times. (I'm also a huge ABBA fan, so..)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Heard allot of bad stuff about this movie,even here in this thread but today i finally took time to watch it and really enjoyed it. It seems that director likes to play games because action sequences reminded me of MGS and Splinter Cell with all those cool gadgets :D

Rasputin stars Alan Rickman and Ian McKellen as Rasputin and Tsar Nikki, respectively.
    I could stop right there, but the film is actually pretty great. It manages to mix the seriousness of a revolution with the ridiculous* premise of a peasant dining at the table with the tsar. They went for the fairy-tale part of the story, mainly because the truth wasn't yet discovered but also because the fiction is so much better than just a simple Boom Headshot.
    This is an HBO made-for-TV thing, before the went all in with the tits and blood.
    Severus Grüber totally steals the show, the dining scene is absolutely amazing. And I quote "I travelled and travelled, and I never once touched my flesh [suppressed laughs from the princesses]" and "I went for a walk, through the woods. And suddenly I heard breathing. Through the bushes. I saw two monks, naked as nature, one behind the other [cut to exasperated tsar]".

* Ridiculous, as in object of ridicule, not that it isn't truthful.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Lethe, one question, did you see director's cut of Picnic of Hanging Rock? It's shorter than original theatrical release.
    I did, yeah.

Got my hands on Rush yesterday, very solid movie, maybe even more than just solid.
    I enjoyed Rush, it was certainly well-produced in an Instagram-filter kind of way, but I also enjoyed Charlie Lyne's recent review in The Guardian:

What makes a film British? It's a question that rolls around every January as Bafta's annual nominations spill out of the gate, and their definition of "homegrown" becomes ever broader.

[....]

As the warring pair, Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl are on career-best form, but they spend more time doing battle with Morgan's script than with each other. In his version of events, each and every character speaks like a race commentator, clarifying events as they happen and saying things like "Ready? I've been waiting for this my whole life..." with no visible degree of irony.

The film's most impressive quality, on the other hand, is a distinctly foreign import. Where most British versions of the story would cast Hunt as the cocky, good-looking hero, and Lauda as his snivelling pantomime foil, Rush shares its sympathies out equally between the two. And who knows, if we're willing to claim that as a multinational somehow British achievement, maybe we can pass off Peter Morgan as a multinational failure in exchange.

Recently watched Schindler's List for the first time. I never got around to watching it. I found it to be a very impressive movie, it deserves all the praise it has gotten.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Rasputin stars Alan Rickman and Ian McKellen as Rasputin and Tsar Nikki, respectively.
    I could stop right there
    -Sold!!

Over the past couple of nights I watched Bunraku, and I'm not entirely sure ho to describe it.

Ron Perlman plays Nicola the Woodcuter, a almost mythological (maybe immortal?) figure whose Red Hat gang rules the unnamed town with the help of nine loyal assassins, named and numbered the Killers #2 - #9. (Killer #2 is played by Kevin McKidd, and he gives probably the best performance in the film). One day a cowboy known only as The Drifter comes to town, played by Josh Hartnett. The other is a swordless samurai called Yoshi, played by Gackt. Woody Harrellson, a local bartender, brings them together to drive out the Woodcutter. Did I mention this was in the aftermath of a global war and that nobody has guns anymore?

This film is pretty daft. I'm not sure I can honestly recommend it unless you're fascinated by weird colour palettes and staging. The film's sets are clearly and deliberately theatrical sets and visually its always interesting, at least.

Does the intentional artificiality of the whole affair hurt the film's suspension of disbelief? Possibly, but I find the film's narrator does more damage than that. His sardonic lines undercut the mythological aspects of the setting when the film could really done with more of that to come together.

The story itself is half-baked, comparable to the kind of martial arts movie that cares more about action than plot. But the action isn't up to those standards, either.

Glad I watched it, but I probably won't watch it again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Ender's Game. Thought it was okay while I watched it, but the more I've thought about it, the more I wonder what the point was, but maybe that's because the great betrayal lacks heft, I think. It somehow doesn't have much impact, so a major point in the movie just kind of happens and that's ... sort of that.
    I should probably note that while I've seen the book mentioned countless times over the past ~20 years, I've never read it and never really knew what it was about.

Thor: The Dark World. Quite enjoyable, although I have to say the revelation at the end, the talk with Odin, annoyed me a great deal. That seemed rather cheap and unexplained (obviously I can see why they did it, but it could have been done a better way, I think).

The Intouchables (2011). Not generally in the mood for life-affirming stuff or movies with 'too many' deep emotions (for lack of a better way of putting it), as I find them kind of triggering, but my mother badgered me to watch this for several months and I finally got around to it. And it's great. Very well acted.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Thor: The Dark World. Quite enjoyable, although I have to say the revelation at the end, the talk with Odin, annoyed me a great deal. That seemed rather cheap and unexplained (obviously I can see why they did it, but it could have been done a better way, I think).
    I forgive that film everything for 1 gag. At what point on earth will all the stars align exactly in the sky? Greenwich of course, there was just a little pause to make it a gag. Brilliantly executed.

Also Thor on the Tube. Maybe it's being a Londener that makes it hilarious to me though ¬_¬

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    I forgive that film everything for 1 gag. At what point on earth will all the stars align exactly in the sky? Greenwich of course, there was just a little pause to make it a gag. Brilliantly executed.

Also Thor on the Tube. Maybe it's being a Londener that makes it hilarious to me though ¬_¬
    That worked for me too, even though I've never even been to England.

That's one thing I like about these movies; they're fun, and not in the usual in-your-face way action movies tend to be.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Heard allot of bad stuff about this movie,even here in this thread but today i finally took time to watch it and really enjoyed it. It seems that director likes to play games because action sequences reminded me of MGS and Splinter Cell with all those cool gadgets :D

Ups,forgot to name the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Ups,forgot to name the movie.
    Oh, COME ON!! I was starting to forget that. Not that it was bad, but D9 was so much better it's painful.

In other better news, I watched Tank Girl and it's actually pretty awesome. Lori Petty it's just great in the title character, Malcolm McDowell chews the scenery as the main bad guy as, and Naomi Watts as the naïve glasses-wearing mechanic. Additionally, Ice-T as mutant half-kangaroo half-man.
    There is a skeleton plot tying things up, but it's mostly eye candy. The eye candy is really sweet though.

I'm on a roll here, watching more films and playing more Far Cry 2 than during holidays.

Anyway, Irma Vep, which is an anagram for Vampire, is a French film about Maggie Cheung(playing herself, or so they say) making a French film. Or it would be, if the plot existed. Things happen, potshots are aimed at French and American cinema, people look embarrassed or angry, but the film is more a series of shorts featuring the same actors.
    Ruining the alleged commentary on French cinema clichés, there's French cinema clichés. Out-of-the-blue full frontal nudity (with bonus pubic hair) that adds nothing to the scene, people talking endlessly, swearing that to a foreigner feels like "wiping your ass with silk". Perhaps it's meta-commentary, I'm probably a simpleton.
    Recommended only if Maggie Cheung in a latex catsuit looking embarrassed is your fetish. It has more than 2 thousands votes on IMBd, so the saying "You're never the ONLY one" is confirmed once more.