Page 104 of 140 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2791
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I'm making an effort to catch up on some more recent sci-fi. Watched Elysium last night and found it utterly stupid and boring to the point where I started doodling instead and watched the last half of the film out of the corner of my eye. This evening I watched Pacific Rim which surprised me by being just a very fun movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    The FP. Wow. I'm paraphrasing Rob Zombie here, but it's The Warriors meets Mad Max meets Rocky meets Double Dragon meets Karate Kid, with Dance Dance Revolution, starring Snake Plissken. They swear like sailors, because it's a post-apocalyptic world. All disputes are solved by DDR. The ducks are in danger.
    The story is a pastiche of Rocky shtick, but the actors are at their best looking broody and/or wasted, and there's a lot of funny background events. The music department resisted filling the soundtrack with the wub-wubs, and should be commended.
    The best element of this fantastic morsel of a film is the costume department. Rolling LED name belts, moon boots, bandanas, cervical collars, there's everything for everybody.
    It crosses the line twice. Truly amazing.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I am buying this AMAZING sounding movie right now somini.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    The FP. Wow. I'm paraphrasing Rob Zombie here, but it's The Warriors meets Mad Max meets Rocky meets Double Dragon meets Karate Kid, with Dance Dance Revolution, starring Snake Plissken. They swear like sailors, because it's a post-apocalyptic world. All disputes are solved by DDR. The ducks are in danger.
    The story is a pastiche of Rocky shtick, but the actors are at their best looking broody and/or wasted, and there's a lot of funny background events. The music department resisted filling the soundtrack with the wub-wubs, and should be commended.
    The best element of this fantastic morsel of a film is the costume department. Rolling LED name belts, moon boots, bandanas, cervical collars, there's everything for everybody.
    It crosses the line twice. Truly amazing.
    Now how am I supposed to pass this one up?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    I'm making an effort to catch up on some more recent sci-fi. Watched Elysium last night and found it utterly stupid and boring to the point where I started doodling instead and watched the last half of the film out of the corner of my eye. This evening I watched Pacific Rim which surprised me by being just a very fun movie.
    You know, I sort of feel the same way about Elysium - more forgiving of it, I thought it was alright - but I think even that's mostly because I liked a lot of the visual effects and style. Some of the architecture on the space station and the visual cues in general reminded me of that sort of golden age 60s-(very early) 90s sci-fi. It feels like it's a collection of missed opportunities across the board. The action could've been more frequent and intense, the visuals more amped, a lot more done with Sharlto Copley's character (he wasn't as good as his opposite in district 9, the piece of shit merc commander, though I think Copley did what he could) and actresses like Jodie Foster were just underused so much. I didn't hate it, but damned with faint praise certainly sums up my feelings.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    The FP's on my watch list now too... I remember seeing the trailer, but I've never caught the film.

Bunraku and now The FP... what is this weird rabbit hole we're going down, and where does it end?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    The FP's on my watch list now too... I remember seeing the trailer, but I've never caught the film.

Bunraku and now The FP... what is this weird rabbit hole we're going down, and where does it end?
    Probably watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show for fun. Or something by John Waters, like Pink Flamingos.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    The Skin I Live In 10/10

Missed it when it came out. A crazy film in terms of premise but beautifully shot and quite fascinating in many ways. The reveal as to the truth of things is superb. Highly recommended, but not for those of a squeamish disposition.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Probably watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show for fun. Or something by John Waters, like Pink Flamingos.
    After showing him the trailer for The FP, my friend showed me this:

I need to see this movie when it is released.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    After showing him the trailer for The FP, my friend showed me this:

I need to see this movie when it is released.
    Oh my...
    Sadly I don't think they will show it on theatres over here, or anywhere, as their Kickstarter says.
    Kung Führer. Ha.
    Last edited by somini; 11-02-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Network Hub
    Wadjda

A small, quiet film by Saudi Arabia's first female film director Haifaa Al-Mansour. The plot revolves around young Wadjda's quest to buy a bicycle, but the film is really about the experience of being a woman in Saudi Arabia, a theme it explores with care and dignity, avoiding easy judgments. Recommended.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Wadjda

A small, quiet film by Saudi Arabia's first female film director Haifaa Al-Mansour. The plot revolves around young Wadjda's quest to buy a bicycle, but the film is really about the experience of being a woman in Saudi Arabia, a theme it explores with care and dignity, avoiding easy judgments. Recommended.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

Speaking of avoiding easy judgements: I recently watched Dany Boon's 2010 comedy Rien à déclarer about customs officials on the French-Belgian border. Nothing too exciting, but fun nonetheless.

"He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    You know, I sort of feel the same way about Elysium - more forgiving of it, I thought it was alright - but I think even that's mostly because I liked a lot of the visual effects and style. Some of the architecture on the space station and the visual cues in general reminded me of that sort of golden age 60s-(very early) 90s sci-fi. It feels like it's a collection of missed opportunities across the board. The action could've been more frequent and intense, the visuals more amped, a lot more done with Sharlto Copley's character (he wasn't as good as his opposite in district 9, the piece of shit merc commander, though I think Copley did what he could) and actresses like Jodie Foster were just underused so much. I didn't hate it, but damned with faint praise certainly sums up my feelings.
    I think for me there was just nothing there to grab my interest. Copley's character was at least entertaining as a complete arsehole with hileerious saath affricken äccint but the rest just felt drab and the plot was predictable.

Speaking of Sharlto Copley, today I saw Europa Report, a film about a manned expedition to Jupiter's moon Europa. I quite liked it - it feels cheap and a bit clumsy overall but as an attempt at a serious hard sci-fi story I think it succeeds. The actors are doing a good job, the premise is believable and whoever wrote it seems to have done an unusual amount of homework to ensure a reasonable degree of scientific accuracy. A lot of the imagery seems to be taken straight from Galileo or Cassini footage as well, which I thought was cool. Slightly distracting to see a Swedish actor playing a Russian (?) character with a Swedish accent, and I think the film would have been better if it had dropped the faux TV documentary stuff altogether, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Speaking of Elysium, how shitty was that Spider guy?
    I got really, really drunk this weekend and rewatched Tropa de Elite, starring the very same actor. His performance here is amazing.
    It's so satisfying to see the military police killing and torturing bad guys. They get the job done. Every country should have squads like this.
    My preorder of Max Payne 3 came with this movie and the even better sequel on Blu-Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Speaking of Elysium, how shitty was that Spider guy?
    I got really, really drunk this weekend and rewatched Tropa de Elite, starring the very same actor. His performance here is amazing.
    It's so satisfying to see the military police killing and torturing bad guys. They get the job done. Every country should have squads like this.
    My preorder of Max Payne 3 came with this movie and the even better sequel on Blu-Ray.
    The performance is surely amazing. The most poignant scene is clearly the guy on the University berating the students for financing the drug dealers. It's a delicate situation.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves has a truly schizophrenic existence. It alternates between Dark and Gritty Alan Moore-esque retelling of a familiar story and funny swashbuckler romp, à là Pirates of the Caribbean. Kevin Costner sucks as the titular Marty Stu, the show is completely stolen by Alan Rickman, as usual. The rest of the cast is good too, including a criminally underused Morgan Freeman. Other than that, it's a simple AAA blockbuster.

Network Hub
    Not sure whether to put this under the TV thread or the film thread...

Dead Set

I'm not much of a zombie fan, or of blood-and-guts-type horror at all, but the combination of Charlie Brooker and the Big Brother twist drew me in. Predictably there was too much rargl zombie stuff for my liking, but Jaime Winston did a great job in the lead role as Kelly, aided by Booker's superb characterisation.
    Last edited by Lethe; 13-02-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves has a truly schizophrenic existence. It alternates between Dark and Gritty Alan Moore-esque retelling of a familiar story and funny swashbuckler romp, à là Pirates of the Caribbean. Kevin Costner sucks as the titular Marty Stu, the show is completely stolen by Alan Rickman, as usual. The rest of the cast is good too, including a criminally underused Morgan Freeman. Other than that, it's a simple AAA blockbuster.
    Now go see Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Did you say Abe Lincoln?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    I did, of course. It's not very good either.
    It's not BAD, but it's not brilliant either. Perhaps it has aged poorly, but I can't even find any outstanding scene. So OK it's Average.
    I'll see the Errol Flynn one and then won't touch medieval fantasy for ages.