Page 107 of 130 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 2594
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who thought Gravity was elevated as much by its human themes as its unprecedented verisimilitude.
    Not only you. I went in expecting a disaster movie and ended up getting that used as a premise to frame a surprisingly intimate story. It's the only film of the last few years that's stuck with me longer than the walk back from the cinema.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    If Gravity was had no dialogue it would've been a much better movie.

It was a good movie. But the dialogue was pants.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    If Gravity was had no dialogue it would've been a much better movie.

It was a good movie. But the dialogue was pants.
    Amen to this.
    The problem of Cuarón is that he never watched Tarkovsky's films. Sometimes it's better for the star to just shut up. Less can be more.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Yeah, I chuckled a bit when I enter the long shower room in Modern Warfare 2. The Island is good but the last half hour is not as good as the beginning.

Ah crap then, DC keep ruining my childhood. I think it is mostly because the backlash at Wonder Woman's new costume, they decided to mix up the old and the new 52. Batman doesn't change much only seems weaker, Superman is a dick, Hal Jordan sounds more like the Flash, Wonder Woman is, I don't know, in love with superman, Cyborg is now a weird robot and they nerf Darkseid into another supervillain. I feel like a grumpy old man now.

Anyway, I'm not as impressed in Catching Fire as lots of people in Rotten Tomatoes. Jennifer Lawrance is great but the rest of the cast is either have limited screen time or just not good enough. I think the movie just doesn't have enough time to show all the important parts of the novel. I do quite like how they decided to show some parts of the novel to avoid dialogue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    A new Godzilla trailer is out!

I can't believe I'm so excited for an American Godzilla film after 1998.

The 1998 movie wasn't terrible. But it wasn't Godzilla. They should have just named it something else.

It looks like there might be more than one kaiju in this movie though which has me really excited.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Really, really excited about this. I hope it turns out well, because the last American made Godzilla movie was really terrible. Heck, Pacific Rim was a better movie - by far, even - than the first American Godzilla movie. And admittedly, Pacific Rim was not a movie one watches for the deep, intricate narrative.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I dunno that trailer looks pretty damned shlocky to me, even the stupid deep horn thing at the beginning.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    THOOOOOOOMP! THOOOOOOOOOOMP!

Looks like a monster movie. Though I have to say that got someone looking eerily like Aaron Paul as the sidekick of Heisen...I mean the guy Bryan Cranston is playing

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post

Looks like a monster movie. Though I have to say that got someone looking eerily like Aaron Paul as the sidekick of Heisen...I mean the guy Bryan Cranston is playing
    I'd have cast Malcolm in the Middle as the sidekick just to screw with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    He's too busy being filthy rich and a race car driver. Or not a race car driver anymore. Dudes enough money to change hobbies on a daily basis.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar

The BWAAAAAAMPs are definitely becoming ubiquitous but the, er, non-phonetic-spelling-friendly eerie wibbly noise chorus that followed were something a little different.

non-phonetic-spelling-friendly eerie wibbly noise chorus that followed were something a little different.

Yeah sounds more like something from a surreal sci-fi/horror movie then a disastermovie which kind of gets my hopes up a little bit maybe.

If I really wanted to screw with people I would have Louis as the ubiquitous damsel that the main scientist dude has to save.

Dudes enough money to change hobbies on a daily basis.

One TV show can't give someone that much money can it?!

Screw it I think pretty much everything I see Brian Cranston in I somehow want to be turned into a spin-off of Malcolm in the Middle. So just make the character Hal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    One TV show can't give someone that much money can it?![/COLOR]
    If he lived reasonably and his folks didn't bone him, it could be. Plus, he did a few really shitty movies and I think he produces stuff?

I know the kid who played Reese has gone on to do behind the scenes work for some stuff for FX and the like.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

One TV show can't give someone that much money can it?![/COLOR]
    He was a couple of thousand per episode early on and then in later series he was getting a couple of hundred thousand an episode. He also seemed to be pretty smart with his money. There's a quote around somewhere that at 21 he was able to retire on a nest egg of a couple of million dollars.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Also keep in mind that with the "super rich folk hobbies" like that, the big part is mostly just having time to get involved and being in an area where it is an option. I know that the more racing-heavy towns in the US tend to have "driving school" and the ability to race cars on actual tracks (generally Nascar because we apparently like turning left...) for very reasonable prices. The cost comes in getting a slot in those schools, having the time and patience to go through all require training, and having a car (and transporting it to the track, since a lot of them aren't really street legal). And that last part can be handled by renting, since people who blow a lot of cash on a cool car (or a really "cool" gun at the firing range) are generally interested in making back a bit of the cash they put in.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Screw it I think pretty much everything I see Brian Cranston in I somehow want to be turned into a spin-off of Malcolm in the Middle. So just make the character Hal.

I have that problem except its Breaking Bad now, he was so good as Heisenberg that I can't see him as anyone else. In fact along with Aaron Paul there was a bit of Deserty area that seemed like it came from the show.

He was a couple of thousand per episode early on and then in later series he was getting a couple of hundred thousand an episode. He also seemed to be pretty smart with his money. There's a quote around somewhere that at 21 he was able to retire on a nest egg of a couple of million dollars.

Wow! I got to get into some of that action!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Sunshine,from the director of 28 days later and millionare,really neat movie .

Network Hub
    ^ I liked Sunshine even though I wasn't fond of the turn the movie took towards the end. Wonderful atmosphere. It gets a bad rap for some reason I forget, probably because people enjoy being Wrong.

I recently managed to find Mania Akbari's 10+4 and in preparation decided to view Kiarostami's Ten again. It's a simple pitch: ten conversations (in a taxi), two* camera angles. The result is a very intimate film -- not in any romantic sense, but in being so close for so long to people who hardly seem like actors in a film at all.

One thing that sticks out is that the first conversation (with her son) is simply too long and moreover sustains too high a pitch for too long. I was a bit worried towards the end of it actually, that my impression of the film wasn't going to survive this second viewing. Fortunately the subsequent conversations are kept to a more reasonable length and if/when they do escalate, do so for much briefer periods of time that don't stress the senses.

Anchoring the film is Mania Akbari's superb performance as ... actually I'm not sure her character is ever named, nor any of the others with the exception of her son Amin. It is a common refrain that she is beautiful, and she is, but it is the kind of beauty that emerges from our extended close observation, from our apprehension of her as, to some extent, a complete person. The kind of beauty, in other words, that we actually find in the real world whenever we open our eyes to look. The achievement should not be overestimated, in that the film is hardly working from the most difficult of baselines -- Mania Akbari is attractive -- but it is nonetheless unusual in the world of cinema where so much is artifice. Ten is all about artifice, but in service of a very human cause.

EDIT:

Last edited by Lethe; 03-03-2014 at 04:43 PM.